Good antivirus

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
I need suggestions for a good antivirus that'll protect me from spyware/worms/trojans as well.

I'm thinking of Kaspersky... Hints?

Thanks.

Nothing that I've ever used is great - that is, comprehensive, effective, fast and easy to use. At the office my desktops are covered by Sophos SBE. Laptops by ZoneAlarm Suite 7 (Kaspersky AV and AS engine). At home I use Kaspersky. One downside of Kaspersky is that its database can get corrupted during a crash and the fastest way of recovering it isn't obvious or simple.

Used quite a few over the years, but since 2004 I have been using Avast Home Edition in Win32 and Linux... It is also FREE and easy to use and update.

The realtime virus scanner is powerful, but uses far less resources than other products I have tried, such as Sophos, Inoculate and Norton. However I must say in a work environment Sophos is really quite good indeed.

Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition is no-nonsense and pretty nice IMHO.

Your best option is the combination of AVG (free) against virusses and such, Firefox/Opera (free) against spyware and a hardware router (very cheap is fine) against worms.

You will have zero problems using that. You won't even need Windows updates.

I need suggestions for a good antivirus that'll protect me from spyware/worms/trojans as well.

I'm thinking of Kaspersky... Hints?

Thanks.

Kaspersky is very good, and is doing some stuff that other companies arn't. They currently have their version 7 in beta, which includes their new anti-rootkit stuff.

Note that they do a couple of different products for the home user: Kaspersky Anti-Virus is their anti-virus program, anti-spyware, mail checker, etc. Kaspersky Internet Security is everything in the anti-virus, plus anti-hacker, firewall, popup blocker, etc.

You can download a 30 day trial from the Kaspersky website, or if you want to try the beta, there are instruction on how to get and licence it in their beta support forums.

You will have zero problems using that. You won't even need Windows updates.
I wouldn't bet any money on a gamble lijke that.

The day anyone exploits some bug in FF you'll be screwed if you don't patch up your system. It WILL happen just you wait..

Not patching your windiows is just dumb plain and simple. Just ask thiose hundreds of people who got screwed out of their world of warcraft accounts recently because of that animated mouse pointer exploit that MS patched months ago because they hadn't visited windows update.
Peace.

I wouldn't bet any money on a gamble lijke that.

The day anyone exploits some bug in FF you'll be screwed if you don't patch up your system. It WILL happen just you wait..

Not patching your windiows is just dumb plain and simple. Just ask thiose hundreds of people who got screwed out of their world of warcraft accounts recently because of that animated mouse pointer exploit that MS patched months ago because they hadn't visited windows update.
Peace.
Well, I do visit shady sites regulary (like, when Google tells you that you really shouldn't go there, or face the consequences), and I don't ever update Windows. Because, just about all patches are for their firewall and for IEx. And don't get me started about Windows updates not working in FF, or demanding you install their anti-spyware crap, which I really don't need or want.

Windows updates are fine for the folks that do everything the Microsoft Way.

Well, I do visit shady sites regulary (like, when Google tells you that you really shouldn't go there, or face the consequences), and I don't ever update Windows. Because, just about all patches are for their firewall and for IEx. And don't get me started about Windows updates not working in FF, or demanding you install their anti-spyware crap, which I really don't need or want.

Windows updates are fine for the folks that do everything the Microsoft Way.

Wow, so if there's a patch to fix a vulnerability in a critical system component, you won't get it because you don't do anything "The Microsoft Way"?

You shouldn't update your hardware drivers either because you would be doing things "the [Insert IHV here] way".

Wow, so if there's a patch to fix a vulnerability in a critical system component, you won't get it because you don't do anything "The Microsoft Way"?

You shouldn't update your hardware drivers either because you would be doing things "the [Insert IHV here] way".
Those patches for critical system components are 99% of the time to prevent new spyware or worms to take advantage of them. Which don't stand a chance of entering my PC, because I use a hardware router and a browser that is actually secure.

And no, the reasoning that firefox isn't targeted because it has a tiny market share is wrong. Because firefox is used to view about a third of all html pages. It's simply very secure.

Those patches for critical system components are 99% of the time to prevent new spyware or worms to take advantage of them. Which don't stand a chance of entering my PC, because I use a hardware router and a browser that is actually secure.

And no, the reasoning that firefox isn't targeted because it has a tiny market share is wrong. Because firefox is used to view about a third of all html pages. It's simply very secure.

How can you be sure your hardware router is secure? What if the software that runs on the router has some vulnerability? You can't of course patch the software because you would then be doing things "the [insert router manufacturer here] way".

I think you should instead just take all your systems offline, because otherwise you won't be 100% secure!

How can you be sure your hardware router is secure? What if the software that runs on the router has some vulnerability? You can't of course patch the software because you would then be doing things "the [insert router manufacturer here] way".
Because it does NAT. Simple as that.

I think you should instead just take all your systems offline, because otherwise you won't be 100% secure!
No need for that, because I am 99.999999% secure already.

Because it does NAT. Simple as that.

No need for that, because I am 99.999999% secure already.

You are incredible! I can't believe you seriously mean that Firefox does not have any security problems. There have been numerous new releases that have fixed serious security issues with Firefox.

Also, if you are really serious about OS security, you would run a super-strict software firewall in addition to your "impregnable" NAT router that monitors process memory injection, application launch parameters, application launch URLs, process/window/DLL hooks and component changes and updates.

On second thought, you should ditch that NAT router and install some enterprise class firewall servers so you can have tiered firewall protection with strict IP whitelisting.

You are incredible! I can't believe you seriously mean that Firefox does not have any security problems. There have been numerous new releases that have fixed serious security issues with Firefox.
Superficially.

Also, if you are really serious about OS security, you would run a super-strict software firewall in addition to your "impregnable" NAT router that monitors process memory injection, application launch parameters, application launch URLs, process/window/DLL hooks and component changes and updates.

On second thought, you should ditch that NAT router and install some enterprise class firewall servers so you can have tiered firewall protection with strict IP whitelisting.
I don't care about that. I don't need it. I'm quite safe as I am.

Superficially.

I don't care about that. I don't need it. I'm quite safe as I am.

You said you were 99.9999% safe which is not just quite safe. You have just shown your ignorance in this area and have thus invalidated yourself as a source of advice in such matters.

You said you were 99.9999% safe which is not just quite safe. You have just shown your ignorance in this area and have thus invalidated yourself as a source of advice in such matters.
I have no problems whatsoever with you thinking so. :D

Nod32 is the best one that I have ever used. Its been deployed at work and compared to that crap symantec. Machines run faster, it integrates with outlook mail really easily.

Very cheap as well.

Back