God of War II has amazing graphics look

Serenity Painted Death said:
Laughable.

Ninja Gaiden is better than God of War, but still falls quite short of Devil May Cry 3.

Again, the culprit is the lackluster (by comparison) gameplay.

You can master Ninja Gaiden with two moves.

The level of skill and creativity in DMC3 blows Ninja Gaiden away.
No, there is no way you can beat Ninja Gaiden without mastering the combos of at least one of the weapons. If you don't constantly move, you'll get surrounded and chopped up. I heard that DMC3 was similar in that you had to learn which combos to use for the correct situation or angle or whatever. And DMC3 seems more of an adventure game then an action game. I've never played it but people describe it like a 3D Castelevania.

Dr Evil said:
Hmm I wonder why both of those games has gotten better reviews than DMC3 maybe others find the "too cool for school" attitude very tiring and irritating as I do.

Or they found the game too hard. Many reviewers openly admitted to docking the score because of this.

But this is an entirely irrelevant point to begin with

No, there is no way you can beat Ninja Gaiden without mastering the combos of at least one of the weapons. If you don't constantly move, you'll get surrounded and chopped up. I heard that DMC3 was similar in that you had to learn which combos to use for the correct situation or angle or whatever. And DMC3 seems more of an adventure game then an action game. I've never played it but people describe it like a 3D Castelevania.

1) Block (there is no block in DMC3, except for one style, and it isn't as if you can just hold it down...)

2) Flying Swallow (I believe this is the jumping slash move)

As to your other points... there really aren't set combos in DMC3... the style is much more free form.

And it is nothing like an adventure game... God of War, out of the three, is by far the "adventure game."

DMC3 is the most action packed of three, easily. It also has the best setup (replayable levels on demand).

I'm not even throwing the SE into consideration, which makes this a good deal more lopsided.

And as far as God of War II is concerned... it does look amazing, but Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria looks better.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Block (there is no block in DMC3, except for one style, and it isn't as if you can just hold it down...)

2) Flying Swallow (I believe this is the jumping slash move)

As to your other points... there really aren't set combos in DMC3... the style is much more free form.

And it is nothing like an adventure game... God of War, out of the three, is by far the "adventure game."

DMC3 is the most action packed of three, easily. It also has the best setup (replayable levels on demand).

I'm not even throwing the SE into consideration, which makes this a good deal more lopsided.

And as far as God of War II is concerned... it does look amazing, but Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria looks better.
1)Yeah, I knew there was no block in DMC3, but you can still get hit very easily in Ninja Gaiden if you're just standing there blocking.
2)That won't save you from everything. Especially not if you're fighting multiple enemies at once. I will admit that there was one boss where I couldn't get a hit on him unless I did that move.

I think of Ninja Gaiden as more of a fighting game then an action game. It has a very deep fighting system, but you aren't playing for any grand story or anything. DMC had the awesome art style and so I assumed it would have made a better adventure game.

Or they found the game too hard. Many reviewers openly admitted to docking the score because of this.

But this is an entirely irrelevant point to begin with
I think they said that they assumed that the fans would find it too hard since the last games weren't that hard.

nintenho said:
I think they said that they assumed that the fans would find it too hard since the last games weren't that hard.

Actually, Greg Kasavin of gamespot admitted that it took him two days to get past the second level...

(nevermind that this means he sucks ass as a gamer, but he blatantly said the game was too difficult... FOR HIM).

(he also just doesn't like the game, in his review for the special edition he docked it points because the new "easy" difficulty was "too easy" and "took away some of the feeling of accomplishment." Nevermind that it was "too hard" before and that you later say "this difficulty should have been included in the original -- or the fact that you don't have to use the setting if you don't want to. Rarely will you find a reviewer explicitly state they are docking a game for ADDING a feature they requested in the orignal review)

At the end of the day, all three are good, possible great games. However, DMC3 is that rare game that redefines everything. If Ninja Gaiden 2 comes out with a combat system that is as limiting and unimaginative as the original... I don't see how anyone could stomach it assuming they've played DMC3.

Maybe the fighting system is more refined in DMC, but it still isn't as good game to me as those two, I hate the style of the game, and seriously God of war on god mode is totally different game compared to normal difficulty, did I say that already :)

Actually, Greg Kasavin of gamespot admitted that it took him two days to get past the second level...

(nevermind that this means he sucks ass as a gamer, but he blatantly said the game was too difficult... FOR HIM).

(he also just doesn't like the game, in his review for the special edition he docked it points because the new "easy" difficulty was "too easy" and "took away some of the feeling of accomplishment." Nevermind that it was "too hard" before and that you later say "this difficulty should have been included in the original -- or the fact that you don't have to use the setting if you don't want to. Rarely will you find a reviewer explicitly state they are docking a game for ADDING a feature they requested in the orignal review)

At the end of the day, all three are good, possible great games. However, DMC3 is that rare game that redefines everything. If Ninja Gaiden 2 comes out with a combat system that is as limiting and unimaginative as the original... I don't see how anyone could stomach it assuming they've played DMC3.
I'm going to have to try DMC3 soon.

Dr Evil said:
Maybe the fighting system is more refined in DMC, but it still isn't as good game to me as those two, I hate the style of the game, and seriously God of war on god mode is totally different game compared to normal difficulty, did I say that already :)

Does the higher difficulty require different techniques? Or does it simply rachet up the number of hits required eg faster button mashing?

Dr Evil said:

God mode is still far easier than what you can find in DMC3 and NGB

DMC3 > NG >>>> God of War in terms of difficulty.

DMC3 is a game that will actually make you a better gamer. There are no cheap tricks to get by with, you actually have to learn to use the system. Each new difficulty is more rewarding, and different from the last... (there are some pretty severe enemy rearrangements as you progress to higher and higher difficulties).

I really do find it impossible that anyone could objectively assert that NG is a better game. The only thing it has over DMC3 is graphics (oh, and probably soundtrack, simply by default :LOL:).

Story? Not the strong point of either, but DMC3 wins this one

Replay Value? Rack up an easy win for DMC3:)SE).

Combat System? (you know, the meat of both games) DMC3 in an apocalyptic landslide. This is the only one of the three where you can more or less create any combo you desire, provided you have the skill. There is very little creative ability in GOW or NG. You cannot survive without being creative in DMC3. It isn't simply "more refined." It is on an entirely different level. The new standard.

nintenho said:
I'm going to have to try DMC3 soon.

Make sure to get the SE. And play as Dante first or you'll be spoiled by Vergil...

Edit: Actually, as I recall, if you don't have a prior game save from DMC3 you'll have to play as Dante first anyway.

NANOTEC said:
Does the higher difficulty require different techniques? Or does it simply rachet up the number of hits required eg faster button mashing?

It doesn't allow sloppy play, certainly button mashing is out of the question. I think it basically just makes you do less damage and you lose health many times more if you get hit, basically you can't take much hit on god mode.

Make sure to get the SE. And play as Dante first or you'll be spoiled by Vergil...

Edit: Actually, as I recall, if you don't have a prior game save from DMC3 you'll have to play as Dante first anyway.
Really? I heard that Virgil was less agile and harder to use. Is it his ranged weapon (the flying blue spikes thingies) that makes him easier?

DMC3 is a game that will actually make you a better gamer. There are no cheap tricks to get by with, you actually have to learn to use the system. Each new difficulty is more rewarding, and different from the last... (there are some pretty severe enemy rearrangements as you progress to higher and higher difficulties).

I really do find it impossible that anyone could objectively assert that NG is a better game. The only thing it has over DMC3 is graphics (oh, and probably soundtrack, simply by default :LOL:).

Story? Not the strong point of either, but DMC3 wins this one

Combat System? (you know, the meat of both games) DMC3 in an apocalyptic landslide. This is the only one of the three where you can more or less create any combo you desire, provided you have the skill. There is very little creative ability in GOW or NG. You cannot survive without being creative in DMC3. It isn't simply "more refined." It is on an entirely different level. The new standard.

you are completle wrong about NG !

czekon said:

Chill out, he's just giving his opinion. Wrong or right have got nothing to do with it.

I'm not a 'real' hardcore gamer so I prefer the 'easier' setup of god of war.
Another reason are the awsome fighting moves. Unlike NG or DMC3 they are so emotional ... well brutal and full of anger and hate. I still remember the first fight where Kratos was showing that nasty hydra snake every corner of the screen... literally!

czekon said:
He can't be wrong it's just his opinion, as Moonblade pointed out.
You can state yours, if it's different. ;)

Personally I wouldn't put GoW into the same category as NG or DMC. GoW is more of an action adventure game than an action game focused on the combat, like NG or DMC are.

The GoW/Rygar comparison is a lot more correct than the GoW/NG/DMC one, I think.
But I understand the reaction of some folks when they hear about this comparison, since GoW, DMC3 and NG are AAA games while Rygar is "just" a good game.

nintenho said:
And DMC3 seems more of an adventure game then an action game. I've never played it but people describe it like a 3D Castelevania.
Thats totally wrong.

Vysez said:
Personally I wouldn't put GoW into the same category as NG or DMC. GoW is more of an action adventure game than an action game focused on the combat, like NG or DMC are.

I thought so too at first, but after I completed the game and started over on god mode, I noticed how the combat aspects really started to shine, I'm still stuck at part two of the final boss, but all I wanted to say that the final judgement should be said only after one has played god mode.

This thread however got me interested about DMC3 again and I ordered it from Canada(since I have ntsc-PS2) So it better be good :)

ok so i correct myself ;-)

DMC3 is a game that will actually make you a better gamer.

same goes to NG

easy win?? ok i finished NG like 7 times and i want to play even more

There is very little creative ability in GOW or NG. You cannot survive without being creative in DMC3

sorry but this is actually wrong

czekon said:
ok so i correct myself ;-)

same goes to NG

easy win?? ok i finished NG like 7 times and i want to play even more

sorry but this is actually wrong

Eh? You can master Ninja Gaiden with two moves... learning block and Jump + Y isn't exactly taxing.

I've played through all of them several times. DMC3 plays much different than the others on higher difficulties, now has two characters to master with entirely different play styles, and actually awards you with items that change the gameplay. Not to mention you can play any stage at any time, and don't have to go back through the entire game.

It isn't wrong. There is very little you can do to make your own combos and moves in either GOW or NG. DMC3's entire system is built around this premise.

Back