*God Of War 3 Thread v2.0 + Interview Stig Asmussen

Thanks for the interview warcrow, cant wait to see the whole thing. And wow, didn't realize there's that much improvements done since the demo. The delayed loading of the textures from E3 demo was quite evident especially on the Fire titan Perseus, I assume everything are in place now. Also can anyone tell they're using MLAA from the latest footage?

go329.jpg

Damn :oops:

Ah, should have sync'ed the release with "Clash of the Titans". ^_^
Not too far off. Are they going to do some co-markeing ?

GOW3 would probably even make the "clash of the titans" movie less epic:). The game is now looking so nuts it's beyond belief and with a hefty 44m budget behind it too. I'll miss Kratos real hard though by the end, SSM better leave the door open wide for one more epic ride on the PS3.

I think they've recently made statements to the effect of Kratos' story is definitely at an end with GoW3, but they leave the door open for basing game(s) on different characters.

Well that's all speculation...moving on.

Yo Warcrow...there was a little disagreement with one of the answers to your questions. Technology guys were on it like hawks lol

Funny thing, this. I was only scheduled for a 15 minute interview but I managed to squeeze 30 minutes out of him--I was already pushing it. :)

I think holsty101 wanted you to kidnap the interviewee home (or at least back to the office). Bring one more guy next time. -_-

Woa! My interview is getting picked up by a bunch of gmaing new sites--woooo! :)

Yes you did it right. the questions were just really good, and we got lots of new answers from your interview; especially regarding how they imported the GOW II engine and tweaked it.
I just can't imagine what Santa Monica could have done with a real brand new engine built up from scratch.
Maybe in their next upcoming game ?

So I don't know If you can spill some of your impressions of the game so far. But have you finished the review code yet ? can't wait to see your first impression of the gameplay.

Yes you did it right. the questions were just really good, and we got lots of new answers from your interview; especially regarding how they imported the GOW II engine and tweaked it.
I just can't imagine what Santa Monica could have done with a real brand new engine built up from scratch.
Maybe in their next upcoming game ?

Yes, starting from scratch and rewriting everything is always a good idea. Always....

Christer can you tell us more about MLAA you're using? Does it look as good as Pandemic solution in The Saboteur? Or maybe even better? :D

Christer can you tell us more about MLAA you're using? Does it look as good as Pandemic solution in The Saboteur? Or maybe even better? :D

I could do it for him:

"AA on the cpu is MLAA Morphological Antialising. We saved 5-6 miliseconds by moving it off the cpu's. Many props to our coder Cedric for making this happen and it looks way better!

For GoW3 we are not using screen space ambient occlusion. We are using a couple other versions of AO including baked for environments, AO texture maps and a pixel calculation that creates better shading on normal maps in indirect lit areas.

Number of dynamic lights - ALOT! that is one of the big features of our engine. We built it around being able to use up to 20 dynamic lights per game object. The light can be big or small, it doesn't matter. In the end, i believe we support up to 50 dynamic lights per game object. We are not using a differed lighting scheme. Our lead programmer Vassily came up with this amazing system during pre-production, us artists love it!!! We can place lights in Maya and have them update in realtime in the game on the PS3, its like being able to paint with lights. Lighting is fast and a very enjoyable artistic process.

Off the top of my head i don't remember exactly poly count numbers for the character. We use as many polys as it takes. My guess for Zues, Kratos and Hades is 25-30,000k triangles. Again, off the top of my head, texture sizes for these character is quite big. I think we are using 2048's for the lower, upper body and head. Each character gets a normal, diffuse, specular, gloss(power map), AO, and skin shader map. We also use can layer textures to create more tiling, and use environment maps were needed, etc."

But more detail from Christer would be much better!

Back