*God Of War 3 Thread v2.0 + Interview Stig Asmussen

Talos ("hammer-guy") dont cast shadow on himself (al least it cant be seen on that pic) but enviroment shadows are cast on him so I think this is "self shadowing". Am I right? :)

"self-shadow" is referring to a shadow cast from an object onto itself, not from one object to another, so no. ;)

Maybe they didn't do it to avoid having flickery self shadows ? Cause its pretty much given that if its implemented on the grunts then it'll be a much lower resolution shadow map. Since there can be as many as 50-60 grunts on a screen.

But I'll put the same question as you did for the bigger enemies though :)

OK, I've done some research and found out the main light source "the sun" would cast self shadows on the characters such as Kratos, Titans, bosses, Centuar, Gorgons and others, but light sources from red&green orbs and Kratos's blades do not. The skeletons don't cast any SS under either situations and I guess that's their priority. It's a good decision by all means, why would anyone go near and check out a low res buffer on a decapitated grunt in the first place and I doubt most would notice them in fast action gameplay.

That's definitely not a shadow cast from the hammer onto himself. :p It's a shadow being cast from some apparatus above and off-camera (see the rest of the shadow on the ground).

Yah since the sun/shadow casting lightsource makes shadows fall in about 45 degree direction towards top left side. So the even if it had self shadowing the hammer top would not cast a shadow onto character. Only the handle would on his stomic.

here it is lol
2010-02-26_031136.jpg

Heh heh, this would contrast with Heavy Rain's close ups (with QTE moment too !).

I love how excited hip hop gamer is heh. Also, the part in the gametrailers link where he rips off Hades' pec... wow...

Last edited by a moderator:
My interview with Steve Caterson (Sr Producer) goes up in a few hours when the embargo is up. Some really great questions were asked and answered. I'll let everyone know when it goes up.

Plus, I got to spend some time with the first hour of the game and I'll have some of my impressions from that.

Updated 03-01 - Inteview is now live!

I took some of your questions along with mine and posed them to Steve last Wednesday, like: How many endings does the game have? Does it run at 720P or 1080P? What comprises most of the 35GB on the Blu-Ray disk? Will the God of Wat 3 engine be licensed out? When will we see DLC? Has work begun on the next God of War trilogy? And a ton more questions, so I hope you Enjoy! It was a lot of fun. :)

Here is a snipet:

"Each GoW game has had a different director and each one has brought a different vision. What kind of affects has this had on the game?

Oh it’s awesome! I think it’s one of the best ways we could have done it. I don’t want to draw direct comparisons to this, but one of my favorite series of all times was Band of Brothers. I love that series! Each episode is set in the same period with the same characters in the same events, but there were different directors for each episode. When you watch the whole thing and reflect back its like ‘wow, ok so it is a little different’. It’s the same with the GoW series—each guy provided a different perspective."

The interview is really long, too big to post here in my opinion. Not sure what to do here but direct you to my blog where it's posted. Hope that doesnt offend some people: http://eat-games.blogspot.com/2010/03/interview-steve-caterson-sr-producer-of.html

Great interview =D Thanks for asking some of my questions =D Going to pass it on to some of my journo friends and see if they can pimp it (and you) =D

From IGN's 30 minutes preview

There have been some rather lofty claims tossed around about God of War III's graphics, and I'm happy to say that they're all true. This game looks stunning, not only due to the unheard of sense of scale, but largely because the texture detail is sharp as a razor and the lighting is film-like. Kratos is probably the single best-looking character ever seen in a videogame. While he looks great from afar, when the camera pans in up close and you can see just how detailed the texture work on him is, you will be floored. What used to be a blanketed white canvas to portray the ash affixed to his body now actually looks real with tons of detail and subtlety. Really, it has to be seen to be believed

Interesting:

" Most important, the E3 content is over a year old. The team has learned a lot since then, so the final game should reflect that effort. off the top of my head, features added since E3 include: -anti-aliasing on the cpu - looks much better then the 2x at E3. -Motion blur that works for the camera, object and inner object. -lens flare/god ray tech -reflection and refraction - improved character lighting -improved texture streaming, the E3 demo was problematic and had blurry textures due to streaming not texture authoring. That has been fixed. Ken Feldman"

So better AA, better textures...

"A significant improvement i forgot to mention is dynamic shadows. Ben Diamand one of our coders spent nearly the entire project writing shadow code. In the end it really paid off. The last couple months we had a couple tech artists dedicated to dialing in the tweakers so there would be no shadow pixelization in the game. A big issue i have is bad looking shadow casting on characters up close. When shadows are done right, you shouldn't even notice them. When they crawl, it becomes the focus and takes away from everything else. The final build of the game, i hardly noticed the shadows, they were so well done."

Oh and better shadows :)

Back