Go, Lance!

hehehe , just listening to an online commentary coz i saw a post somewhere going "ULLRICHS GONE FOR IT!"

armstrongs said that even if he gets the 6th , he'll still try for a 7th :-O . .

-dave-

fwiw

http://www.letour.fr/2004/us/index.html
[ err though why i've put that link in when joe has already done it , is just a mystery :) ]

Nice attempt by Ullrich, unfortunate that CSC ordered Voigt back to help catch him, until he joined up with Armstrong's group Ullrich managed to constantly pull further away. At least it brought some excitement back to the tour, even though it's painfully obvious who'll win in the end. ;)

Lance might not be the most sympathetic character in the whole TDF, but he certainly seems to be the best driver with the best team, kinda like Schumacher/Ferrari in F1.

hope lance wins, but this whole illegal drugs thing that is following him sure is creaping me out.

Is it time to let the flood gates open and let anyone take anything as long as they do it openly?

epic

The drug thing is a serious problem it seems.

On one hand, if you believe the alarmists, they would have it that 99% of the players are doping.

Then again, there is the presumption of innocence, since all controls are negative.

Unfortunately, its widely known that negative controls, means absolutely nothing. Many admitted dopists, were negative their entire careers.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out he was doping (theres several people close to Armstrong who claim he has), but then again its really not fair to lay accusations without credible evidence. In other words, harbor the suspicions, but stfu.

Fred said:
Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out he was doping (theres several people close to Armstrong who claim he has), but then again its really not fair to lay accusations without credible evidence. In other words, harbor the suspicions, but stfu.
The amount of time that this issue bothers me is incredibly small, but how do you prove atheletes are taking a drug, when there are no tests for it. By the time they have a test for it, the atheletes have moved on to something else.

Thats why I think we should just let these jocks do what they want to their bodies in pursuit of the big bucks. At least then everyone will have the chance to play a level playing field.

epic

That's not true: doping affects each and everyone in a different way. Even if you gave the same amount of the very same doping substance to 10 different persons, you'd get eventually different reactions of their own body to it. So that wouldn't be fair anyway...

Crisidelm said:
doping affects each and everyone in a different way. Even if you gave the same amount of the very same doping substance to 10 different persons, you'd get eventually different reactions of their own body to it. So that wouldn't be fair anyway...
exercise affects each and everyone in a different way. Even if you gave the same amount of the very same exercises to 10 different persons, you'd get eventually different reactions of their own body to it. So that wouldn't be fair anyway...

RussSchultz said:
Crisidelm said:
doping affects each and everyone in a different way. Even if you gave the same amount of the very same doping substance to 10 different persons, you'd get eventually different reactions of their own body to it. So that wouldn't be fair anyway...
exercise affects each and everyone in a different way. Even if you gave the same amount of the very same exercises to 10 different persons, you'd get eventually different reactions of their own body to it. So that wouldn't be fair anyway...

That's why everyone tries to find the better exercises and training methods for himself. Can you do that with doping? No, because it costs a lot, and not every racer out there can afford it: only the top racer, earning top $ could eventually get ahold of "top" products. So that again wouldn't be fair.

You've gotta love how success is universally rewarded with skepticism and derogatory comments, no matter what the field. I guess the other "greats" of the past in the TDF were all dopers too, huh?

How bout Jan Ulrich? He's gotta be juiced up as well, right? If it weren't for Lance, he'd have won 5 in a row and pushing for 6. :rolleyes:

Crisidelm said:
RussSchultz said:
Crisidelm said:

That's why everyone tries to find the better exercises and training methods for himself. Can you do that with doping? No, because it costs a lot, and not every racer out there can afford it: only the top racer, earning top $ could eventually get ahold of "top" products. So that again wouldn't be fair.

This is getting pretty side tracked....

But the more money you have, the better trainers and equipment you can afford, so that wouldn't be fair either. I don't know on what basis you say only the "top" racer could afford the "top" products either.

This is a catch 22....only the "top racer" can afford it? How did he get to be the top racer...if at one time he wasn't the "top"?

This isn't about which people can afford which products. Its that the same products and procedures on different people give different results.

Some racers inherently have larger lung capacities than others....is that "fair" or not?

Joe DeFuria said:
http://ww2.olntv.com/tdf04/

Lance said:
Our secret,â€￾ said Armstrong when asked how he prepares for the Tour, “is that we work all year long. I hate to disappoint the skeptics but that’s what it is.â€￾

Lance only rides le Tour de France, a HUGE difference with the other cyclists, who ride in numerous other tours and competitions. I am sure that if Lance were to ride other courses, he wouldn't be able to do the same things he's doing right now. ;)

:arrow:
Lance only rides le Tour de France, a HUGE difference with the other cyclists, who ride in numerous other tours and competitions. I am sure that if Lance were to ride other courses, he wouldn't be able to do the same things he's doing right now.

Gee, Evil. You've found his secret. I'm gonna start riding my bike right now, but I'm not going to enter any race except the Tour de France. I'm a sure bet to win it, or be runner-up to Lance. :LOL:

The guy wins because he's an exceptional athlete and dedicates himself to training 24/7/365. Why can't people appreciate him for what he is?

Evil_Cloud said:
Lance only rides le Tour de France, a HUGE difference with the other cyclists, who ride in numerous other tours and competitions. I am sure that if Lance were to ride other courses, he wouldn't be able to do the same things he's doing right now. ;)

How does this make sense? They all train year-long and I don't believe it's as if the human body only has a limited # of Bicycle Races it can win a year, so why would entering one race be different than entering 5 (assuming there was plenty of time for the body to recuperate between them which I'm sure there is since "other cyclists...ride in numerous other tours" and would avoid over taxing themselves")

It doesn't make sense, Ty. If Lance wasn't around these past 5 years, Jan Ulrich would have won 6 TDF's in a row, fighting for his 7th, and he'd be the "hero of Europe".

This is just Euro-justification for an American currently beating them at their "own sport". They don't like it, so they make excuses.

Personally, I couldn't care less what nationality Armstong is. He's as dominating as any athlete in any sport, and it's exciting to see him have his way with the best in his sport year after year.

Armstrong is a real great champion, but Merckx is still the best ever been: he used to race almost all year long, and raced to win every time. And he usually did win...
Maybe Armstrong could race the Tour de France AND the Giro d'Italia next year...that would be interesting.

Back