Lenovo Legion Go Handheld PC

Hopefully it has a 120hz and decent (such as full sRGB coverage and at least 1000:1 contrast) display.

We're getting closer and closer to my ideal form factor. In this case though I'd still prefer a weaker SoC that could be passively cooled with a thinner device (maybe Mendocino) that would also be cheaper. Pen support as well.

It looks good but it might be too late for this generation of chips. maybe next year with a 8x00 ryzen ?

Having just painlessly sent my Deck off to be repaired, Valve are in my good books for customer service. I at least had the option of fixing the RB microswitch myself, given it's reparability. I chickened out when I remembered I've not soldered anything well for the last 30 years. Broader point being, durability, warranty & user repairability should be key consideration when buying these handhelds.

Having said that, my Lenovo work laptop feels like it'd survive a nuclear blast, so hopefully they have the durability dialled in with the Legion Go.

Last edited:
why its too late?
devices with current gen ryzen chips are still super hard to find in the market.
because this doesn't even have an announced launch date which means it likely wont come before 2024. If this ends up using the same apu's as the other handhelds it will be too late and will likely have 8x00 series competition out on the market soon after launch

You might be a bit optimistic in terms of the actual availability of 8x00 APUs in devices even though they will likely be announced at CES 2024. It's been the same song and dance every year. I'd also wonder what the real performance gains (or even battery life gains) would be given the current speculated rumours with respect to 8x00 APUs. Not the mention the actual practical performance implications given possible cost differences.

Although I guess I'm also in the minority in that APU performance itself is not my main concern for these devices. I want an x86 chip for broader compatibility with my existing library (and what I want to play since it's not even on Android) but I can rely on streaming for anything heavy. To be honest even if you could hypothetically shove RTX 4090 GPU performance into one of these and play it actually on the go you're still working against a relatively tiny screen in non ideal playing environments (eg. on a bus) which is goiong to pretty heavily limit the experience of a high fidelity SP game.

Otherwise there's some new rumors saying that this will likely be part of a larger slate of announcements including AR glasses.

I mean it will be a spec for spec copy of the rog except about 8 months later according to your link. So what is the draw over the rog ? Detachable controllers ?

APU performance has to keep moving forward because new games continue to come out that drive that need getting better battery life would be secondary.

Of course now rumors of RDNA 3.5 /4 and whatever being scrapped could this handheld market in its crib

Hopefully it has a 120hz and decent (such as full sRGB coverage and at least 1000:1 contrast) display.

We're getting closer and closer to my ideal form factor. In this case though I'd still prefer a weaker SoC that could be passively cooled with a thinner device (maybe Mendocino) that would also be cheaper. Pen support as well.
It looks good but it might be too late for this generation of chips. maybe next year with a 8x00 ryzen ?
well, tbh, I am waiting for an Intel APU in a similar device -AMD is currently banned in my books for their FSR politics-. When said device comes out I am going to get one. My favourite design in that sense is the GPD Win 4, which includes a neat kb.

well, tbh, I am waiting for an Intel APU in a similar device -AMD is currently banned in my books for their FSR politics-. When said device comes out I am going to get one. My favourite design in that sense is the GPD Win 4, which includes a neat kb.
AMD isn't doing anything that nvidia hasn't done before. At least with FSR intel,amd and nvidia users can access it. With DLSS only 2000 and up owners can use it and with DLSS 3.0 only 4000 series users can use it

AMD isn't doing anything that nvidia hasn't done before. At least with FSR intel,amd and nvidia users can access it. With DLSS only 2000 and up owners can use it and with DLSS 3.0 only 4000 series users can use it
I feel like I'm having a dejavu reading that

I mean it will be a spec for spec copy of the rog except about 8 months later according to your link. So what is the draw over the rog ? Detachable controllers ?

APU performance has to keep moving forward because new games continue to come out that drive that need getting better battery life would be secondary.

Of course now rumors of RDNA 3.5 /4 and whatever being scrapped could this handheld market in its crib

If you mean the article I linked I think they speculate it being announced possible in September and available later this year. The RoG ally was announced in May and available in June, so not exactly 8 months later if we go with that timeline. Also the Z1 (non extreme) RoG Ally is still not available yet, nor is the Z1 available in any product yet. In general given past timelines as well I would be skeptical that actual next gen APUs are available in shipping products in any meaningful amount until past the mid point of 2024.

In terms of the separate discussion of APU progress being necessary I have two feelings on this.

From a personal stand point (and I realize this will likely be the minority) I'm not really looking to chase the newest AAA games on these platforms. As I mentioned even if we hypothetically shoved RTX 4090 compute into one of these you're still playing those games on a relatively tiny screen in less than ideal environments compared to at home.

From a broader perspective I feel that the current APUs and handheld systems benefited a lot from timing in terms of the long cross gen period. I have some general skepticism in terms of whether or not APUs in these form factors can keep up as we leave that behind if one's going is to keep up with the latest. On the hardware side APU gains have also gained from a lot of relatively low hanging fruit due to things like past stagnation and memory (LPDDR5). Combined with the general trend in dimishing scaling will we really see the same pace of gen on gen gains?

But whether or not the handheld market really needs that is debatable a lot of the interest I see (if not the majority) is gaming outside of the latest AAA games. I actually wonder what the demand preference would be if hypothetically the next APU could more battery life and completely passive cooling with no performance gains, instead of performance gains.

Last edited:
More leaks on this device.

The display is actually reported to be even larger and seems to be same as the one used in Lenovo Legion Y700 tablet - 8.8inches, 144hz, 2560x1600p, 97% DCI-P3 (possibly x2 the color gamut of the Steam Deck). Faster ram than the RoG Ally. But might come in more expensive as well than the RoG Ally MSRP wise. Albeit if Lenovo sells it direct through their website the MSRP has less meaning.

Alleged to be announced and launch in September.

Saw I think it was leaked marketing video, showing playing with controllers detached.
I thought was ok idea until I saw how it was being presented.

It's official now -

Seems to also already be in the hands of media.

I hope it does really well for them and avoids some of the issues asus is having. The line up looks pretty strong aside from the head phones

At some point, someone has to make a notebook attachment for an additional screen and a keyboard. The handled can turn in a giant touchpad / secondary screen.
Crap! This is already better than my work notebook in productivity benchmarks, and it's just a gaming device!

Edit: my work desktop is a ryzen 3700x, so I checked the benchmarks and the legion is even better than it if can reach the top 54W tdp!

Last edited:
Back