Getting a new mobile phone: Motorola Razr V3?

_xxx_ said:
Oh, c'mon, you have to go through 5 menue-levels just to send a simple taxt message and need to click another 5 times to choose a name from the phonebook, than confirm you will, than confirm you want your message to be sent as text and confirm again to send.
Now PLEASE don't tell me this can be described as "user interface"... :rolleyes:
No, that can be described as RTFM. :devilish:
Stick left -> Create Text message.

It might not be perfect, but it's far from as bad as you describe it to be.

As for k700i etc., they're all as big as a PDA. Which they essentially are. Not what I'd call a "phone".

Well, what's the Razr for you then? It might be thinner than say a T610 (which, while not of the superslim category, is already one of the thinner ones with ca. 20mm), but it's a few mm higher and more than a cm broader than the aforementioned T610. I wouldn't call that tiny either.

Snyder said:
No, that can be described as RTFM. :devilish:
Stick left -> Create Text message.

It might not be perfect, but it's far from as bad as you describe it to be.

Well, what's the Razr for you then? It might be thinner than say a T610 (which, while not of the superslim category, is already one of the thinner ones with ca. 20mm), but it's a few mm higher and more than a cm broader than the aforementioned T610. I wouldn't call that tiny either.

Oh, forgot that with the stick. But still, I found the menue-structure and the usage of softkeys awful.

Razr is certainly not very small, but thanks to it's thinness, it feels much less bulky in your pocket. It almost beats the T600 "is there anything in my pocket at all"-feeling.

But however: all new phones are overloaded with unneeded features, which definitely contributes to the size and power dissipation. This is the problem that came up as users started demanding more and more features, which led to all these would-be-PDA we see everywhere.

_xxx_ said:
Oh, forgot that with the stick. But still, I found the menue-structure and the usage of softkeys awful.

Razr is certainly not very small, but thanks to it's thinness, it feels much less bulky in your pocket. It almost beats the T600 "is there anything in my pocket at all"-feeling.
IMO, both points are affected a lot by personal preference.
Now, don't get me wrong - the Razr looks very nice, has really good build quality, impressive battery life for the size and the UI has come a long way from earlier Motorola cellphones and is really usable nowadays (AFAICS - I don't have one, but many of my colworkers do).
But e.g. thinness is only useful for me as long as the other dimensions aren't too big -> I tried to carry the Razr around in my pocket for a while, and I found it more "disturbing" than my T610 - especially the corners. Most others I know (especially those who carry it in their shirt pocket) find the size great...

But however: all new phones are overloaded with unneeded features, which definitely contributes to the size and power dissipation. This is the problem that came up as users started demanding more and more features, which led to all these would-be-PDA we see everywhere.

Well, I guess that's a point we can all agree about.
But I have to admit I'm guilty myself...I could have gotten an oldskool 6610i recently as a subscription renewal bonus for free (or only a few bucks, I can't remember myself) - objectively a great choice, but I just can't bring myself to buy such old stuff...:cool:
I'm afraid I'm a consumer whore...

PC-Engine said:
I have a NEC 525 with a very nice user interface. You can select by groups too. :p

If you can afford it get an unlocked Quad-band N840. Very nice phone.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nec_n840-920.php

Wow, that's a *very* nice phone... and seems to be more "business" orientated than all the others I have seen until now.

...but NEC doesn't sell phones over here... *cries* :devilish:

PCE; what about the speed (responsiveness) of the phone? And what about ignore lists etc? thanks...

On my 525, there are two phone book scroll speeds. The faster you press the button the faster it scrolls with no perceivable lag. If you hold down the button it scrolls by several entries at a time. Unfortunely it doesn't scroll by each individual entry when you hold down the scroll button. My phone is Quad-band too. I want to get the N840 but it's just too expensive and ATT/Cingular doesn't carry them so I can't get a discount on the phone. My phone doesn't have a phone number block feature that's why I have it set up the way I do. When my phone is on vibrate I can tell which group is calling because I have different color LED assigned to different groups.

Too bad you cannot get NEC phones where you are. Even in the US there are only about 4 models available that can work with the 850/1900 MHz band. This new model from NEC is nice too if you like more style over substance if you wanted to buy a phone online.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nec_e949_l1-1266.php

Ah I see... checked online, that phone really isn't sold overhere. In fact, I'm not even sure it's on sale in Germany....

XXX? Any chance you'd know?

But that's a good idea with the grouping. If the grouping is done nicely, that'd be a great way to handle it. Hmm... how much does it cost in America PCE? It does look quite expensive though.. not sure if I'd actually go through the hassle of importing one, but maybe it'd be reason enough to hold out a little while longer and get import at a later time if they don't come out overhere....

Phil said:
Ah I see... checked online, that phone really isn't sold overhere. In fact, I'm not even sure it's on sale in Germany....

But that's a good idea with the grouping. If the grouping is done nicely, that'd be a great way to handle it. Hmm... how much does it cost in America PCE? It does look quite expensive though.. not sure if I'd actually go through the hassle of importing one, but maybe it'd be reason enough to hold out a little while longer and get import at a later time if they don't come out overhere....

The only reason why I suggested the N840 is because it's Quad-band which would work anywhere in the world. If you only plan on using it in Germany then there are a lot more models from NEC you can choose from. Also keep in mind that the different models may use different UI's even from the same brand so make sure it has the phone book features/speeds you're looking for.

Phil said:

E-Plus bundles them exclusively, I don't know of any NEC dealer in Germany.

EDIT: you can ask here

NEC Handys
Tel: +49 (0) 180 5 810 222
E-mail: NEC-Support@servicemail24.de

Last edited by a moderator:
pc-engine said:
The only reason why I suggested the N840 is because it's Quad-band which would work anywhere in the world. If you only plan on using it in Germany then there are a lot more models from NEC you can choose from. Also keep in mind that the different models may use different UI's even from the same brand so make sure it has the phone book features/speeds you're looking for.

Tri-band should be enough over here (Switzerland). I think I'll drive out to Germany and see if I can find some shops that have one in stock. (BTW; PM)

XXX: Thanks! I'll check it out!

Just as an FYI there is a Quad Band version of the Razor in development...sheduled to ship before the year is over...

Sorry you dont like the interface...I have just gotten so use to it as its been on many of the other phones (720, the "tripplets", ect). Once you get the hang of making a few shortcuts its not soo bad..

Making shortcuts should definitely be implemented in every phone, as well as the possibility to arrange menues as you wish or being able to switch between icons and list view etc.

Mariner said:
My V3 is already Quad Band - I thought that they all were? :???:

Or is that just in Europe?

I thought they were all quad-band? In Germany they are anyway, don't know of any other version.

FYI, my brother-in-law has been told he will receive a V3x on 30th November. Apparently, it is due to be launched on 29th November. 3G phone with improved Camera etc, I believe.

Mariner said:
FYI, my brother-in-law has been told he will receive a V3x on 30th November. Apparently, it is due to be launched on 29th November. 3G phone with improved Camera etc, I believe.

Yea they are pretty nice :)

fallguy said:
Ive wanted a Razr for a while now. I change from Cingular to Verizon just before it came out. :( And Verizon doesnt offer the Razr yet. Ive heard rumors that they will, has anyone else heard the same thing?
Its out. :)
http://www.vzwshop.com/razr/
this is the V3c version, better camera/UI. price is around 199.

epic

w800i,

Best phone I've ever had. I like the style, its funky and colourful. It has that "it just works" feeling about it, that nokia's used to have. The v3 is style over substance, I know plenty of people who have them, love how they look but loathe how they perform.

I just received a Razr (V3, not V3c)...believe it or not...my first cell phone. ;)

I've resisted for quite a while, but now that Jack is old enough that he'll be going to swim / baseball lessons and whatnot, my wife and I will be separated more often than no taking the kids different places on weekends....

I bought it primarily for the form factor, but have been fairly impressed by the customization features. I have no problem with the UI, and I use mobile PhoneTools to "manage" my contacts list, and get it into the phone. (That was the only disappointing thing...that mobile phonetools had to be purchased separately).

A couple notes on the address book:
1) You don't have to see every phone number individually, with contact names repeated. You can set it so that only the "primary" number is displayed, and then you can cycle through the other numbers for that contact. Works perfectly fine.

2) You can set up "groups" (called "categories" by Motorola.) There are a few built in ones, but you can change and/or add your own group names and assign contacts to groups.

FYI, I also upgraded my wife's phone to a Treo 650. She been a dedicated palm user for years (still using her Palm V), so it was a pretty logical choice for her. Able to keep using "a Palm",and not have to keep on carrying around 2 devices. She's a happy camper so far.

Back