a way Sony(or even a 3rd party) could provide crossgame voice chat...

draconian

Newcomer
...make it an independent peripheral. As I've said in other threads, I think Sony firmware programmer just aren't very talented. Technically, there isn't much to voice chat. How hard could this be? It's easy, the thing that is holding them back is the ram requirements. What is the sony OS memory requirement at? 43 megs of xdr + 7 megs of gdr = 50 megs total. That is just sad. MS is at 32 meg and I bet they still have quite a bit left over for future enhancements.

So, since we can't expect the firmware team to bring down the memory footprint, I think Sony or even a 3rd party should make a peripheral.

What would the requirements of this peripheral be?
1. Have wifi.
2. Have it's own cheap arm cpu. Have enough ram to encode/decode voice chat, support for local voice muffling, filters, etc...I would imagine some additional functionality could be loaded by a ps3 game. Some flash for storing bits of PSN user info.
3. Maybe even a small lcd that can display simple text and also light up to notify you when your friends are online even if your ps3 is off. Maybe even a few buttons for additional functionality. one button to display a few lines of your friend list, another two to scroll the friends list, another to initiate/end calls & open and close inbox messages, another to mute, etc...
4. The peripheral would have to be very portable. Think mp3 player. And aside from a headphone/speaker phone jack for voice chat, it should also be bluetooth enabled for bt headsets and for communication with your ps3.
5. Have software to sync with the psn network, know when to connect, disconnect with other psn users etc...
6. It must be Cheap. There are mobile phones/mp3 players out there with way more silicon & engineering, and still priced less than $20. I don't see why sony or some other 3rd party couldn't make something at a similar or lower price.
7. The only real negative thing I could think of is the online bandwidth sharing. Since xbox has chat integrated in, the xbox OS knows how to put less priority on voip packets vs real game data. Maybe the ps3 could give Go and stop signals to the peripheral to minimize bandwidith?

Also, I don't see why MS or the big N couldn't also have something to this. I think a lot of xbox live users wouldn't mind buying a peripheral to let them know that their friends are online and invite them to play a game(all this without having to have your xbox on). Imagine being in your backyard reading a book, and your friends message you to turn on your xbox and play a game with them.

of couse, why limit to consoles. Make a universal device for PCs social sites(steam). And even other social networking sites like myspace , facebook.....ok....now I'm getting crazy...

I use Skype on a laptop in much the same way as the OP describes. It's functional but stupid. There's no need to burn all those extra hardware calories when the console is quite capable. Voice chat doesn't need much. Sony are just a bunch of wazzocks from the sounds of it.

This device sounds like my iPhone (or a lot of other smartphones). Or even the PSP models with microphone and Skype built in ...

The problem with cross-game voice chat is simply a matter of 1) getting it to work with existing games and 2) bandwidth.

Actually I thought Sony would integrate Skype into the PS3. If there's any costs then it could be payed for the way Skype normally does it (except console-to-console is free, but console-to-PC or phone would be payed for), but Sony gets a certain percentage of the profits. The concept could work by converting the money for PSN to the paid Skype stuff.

Back