Getting a new mobile phone: Motorola Razr V3?

_xxx_ said:
Oh, c'mon, you have to go through 5 menue-levels just to send a simple taxt message and need to click another 5 times to choose a name from the phonebook, than confirm you will, than confirm you want your message to be sent as text and confirm again to send.

Now PLEASE don't tell me this can be described as "user interface"... :rolleyes:

As for k700i etc., they're all as big as a PDA. Which they essentially are. Not what I'd call a "phone".

Are you on medication? Or are you just guessing?
I just checked on my SE K750, sending a text message takes two button presses to get into the create message screen, once it is typed in it takes two buttons to get into the address book (recently used numbers are more easily available) once you have found the number you want it takes two more presses. So for the first entry in your address book it would be 6 button presses plus the message length total to send a message.

Your view of the V3 compared to Sony and Nokia phones seems very much contrary to popular opinion. If you like it then fine, it certainly is one of the best looking phones on the market, but don't give out nonsense information about the competition.

CC

Nokia came out with their first flip phone. My wife has got it and it's pretty nice. Receives great reseption and feels like a good piece of phone.

Captain Chickenpants said:
I just checked on my SE K750, sending a text message takes two button presses to get into the create message screen, once it is typed in it takes two buttons to get into the address book (recently used numbers are more easily available) once you have found the number you want it takes two more presses. So for the first entry in your address book it would be 6 button presses plus the message length total to send a message.

Your view of the V3 compared to Sony and Nokia phones seems very much contrary to popular opinion. If you like it then fine, it certainly is one of the best looking phones on the market, but don't give out nonsense information about the competition.

CC

I actually just tried out the K750 this weekend at a phone-shop and must say that I am quite impressed by it. The display is very nice and crisp. As for the user-interface - doesn't seem to have changed much from the t610, but I suppose the little improvements here and there will be appreciated.

One gripe though: While the phone does have some functions to create groups, there is no possibility to shortcut to the Group screen at all? For what in gods name are groups good for if you can't even browse your contacts from that view? Defeats the whole purpose... for me at least! :(

CC: Do you know if the K750 solved the problem with the "missed calls" list? With my t610, I have the problem that when I miss multiple calls by the same caller and other people at the same time, I can't really see from the list who called at which time since the stupid phone groups them and only shows the time if you check the list at the same day. If you check it the next day, you only see as far the date, but not the exact time. Also, since they are grouped, you never really know which person called how many times. Any chance they improved on this with the K750?

Also, anyone know when the successors of these phones come out? I'm mainly thinking of the K750i here. Checked Samsung's 720 out as well and didn't like it at all, so I'm definately favoring the K750...

Thanks.

CC

So it's 6 presses + one for the first letter in the phonebook and you think it's ok? Oh well. I didn't say anything untrue. So what nonsense information are you talking about?

Siemens UI is arguably better, but the devices crap out after a fairly short amount of time.

I have no other experience with Motorola, I'm not a "brand idiot" or "mine is bigger" kinda guy. It's just my opinion. The V3 might as well crap out in a few days, dunno. But so far, I'm very happy.

I was a Sony guy until I bought T610, which made me switch in the end because it sucked big time UI-wise.

_xxx_ said:
So it's 6 presses + one for the first letter in the phonebook and you think it's ok? Oh well. I didn't say anything untrue. So what nonsense information are you talking about?

Siemens UI is arguably better, but the devices crap out after a fairly short amount of time.

I have no other experience with Motorola, I'm not a "brand idiot" or "mine is bigger" kinda guy. It's just my opinion. The V3 might as well crap out in a few days, dunno. But so far, I'm very happy.

I was a Sony guy until I bought T610, which made me switch in the end because it sucked big time UI-wise.
The 6 presses includes the one for selecting the first entry in the phone book.

The reason I think that is OK is that I fail to see how that could be improved without making other operations more combersome. A decent ui needs to balance the accesibility of common operations with the ability to choose less common ones. If you have used a number recently then you are down to 4 button presses (for the most recently used number), short of having a device capable of SMS only, I don't see how it could be much easier.

I know you are not a '******' type of person (based on your other posts), you just seemed to have a real downer on anything not a V3.

A lot of what makes a UI is that things work the way you expect them to work, which I guess Nokia have pretty much got sorted as they keep the UI fairly consistant across all their phones, and practically everyone has used a Nokia phone.

CC

Siemens.

Well, I never owned one - but for a very long time, I was convinced that the only true "business mobile phones" on the market were from Siemens. Sure, technically, the phones weren't really as up to date as all the others, but what it lacked there, it certainly made up for it functionality wise.

I remember playing around with one Siemens phone at the time, I think it was one of the first phones to feature a 3-colour display - and I must say, a very impressive phone. It had features that even most phones lack today: Grouping and lists for just about everything. Ignore lists, important lists - you name it. Which phone today features an ignore list? I'd find it quite handy to have certain numbers on permanent ignore (stupid young chicks that just keep calling and hang up once you pick up :devilish: ) - or simply ignore anyone calling with their number hidden.

And yes, I NEED grouping. I have 250+ contacts and most of them annoyingly start with S (Sandro, Sandra, Sibylle, Susan, Shirin, Simone, Sabrina... agghh!) so you always have scroll through the same old damn list over and over again to get to the person whom you want to reach! Which is why I'm also very allergic to slow, unresponsive phones - scrolling takes ages! At least the K750i seems to be quite quick... even quicker than my t610?

It all depends on whether you care about features, or about making calls?

The RAZR software sucks. I own one. It responds slower than series 60 phones from Nokia and the UI is very (too many menu steps, context menu irritating to use and lacks context features, like send via bluetook/email/mms), the address book is an abomination.

On the other hand, I have found no other phone that feels as good to have in your pocket, and I am a big fan of the metal construction. I love steelcase office furniture, herman miller chairs, and my RAZR.

As a *PHONE* and not a wanna-be PDA, it has long talk/standby time, very light, and good reception IMHO.

So as long as you don't care about smartphone features, cameras, etc then it is a very nice phone.

Personally, I can't stand any of the mobile phone cameras, I prefer to carry a small *real* digital camera around for that purpose. I've got through many manu PDA phones: Communicator, Treo, PocketPC Phones, bunch of Series 60 phones. I find that the "coolness" factor wears off in one week and I fall back to just using it as a phone. So I stopped wasting money on $500 phones.

At this point, probably the only "pda"ish "phone" I'd consider is a Blackberry for obvious reasons. Although Blackberry's have terrible UI for phone too, but kick ass for mobile email..

I know you are not a '******' type of person (based on your other posts), you just seemed to have a real downer on anything not a V3.

Well I had and still have a downer on all cellphones _including_ V3, it's just a little bit less annoying and looks much better. I also like it for being so slim, I hate bulky PDA-like phones.

As for lowering the number of clicks, how about direct shortcuts? I couldn't make any, neither with Sony nor with Siemens. With V3, I just made a few shortcuts for the most important functions and all is fine. I suppose the others can do it as well by now, but I missed it in the two phones I mentioned.

As always, IMHO... :)

Another problem with camera phones is that there are many workspaces where you aren't allowed to bring a camera, but you want to bring your phone.

Try to find a mobile phone with Bluetooth, but no camera. They are pretty rare.

Phil said:

Forget it. I had the SL55 (RMA'd twice, got new replacements), my mom had the S55 and all of them had faulty keys, dying displays etc. The worst phones I ever had.

...even quicker than my t610?[/QUOTE]

What does that "even" mean? A dead duck is quicker than the T610.

BTW, I'd really like to see a modern phone without a camera, bluetooth etc. Just phone and text, that'd be it. Make it as small and slim as possible and we'd have a winner.

Back