George Harrison Talks Revolution

Maybe it would be a good idea for them to offer Nintendo 1st Party games for free, to get the service started and get people hooked, and then let other companies charge for their own titles on the same service and collect a small royalty for them. I worry a bit about buying roms when there's only 512 megs of space on the system for saving. What happens once you've used up all your space? Then again, if they charge 1 dollar per game, I'd probably have to spend quite a bit of cash before I could fill it up with NES titles.

Edit: never mind about the used up space. You could probably just have an "account" online and reload games you've already bought at a later time.

well ms has 64 meg memory cards. I'm sure nintendo can come out with a 128 meg memory cards for cheap and u can store them on them. Thats gotta be at least a 100 nes games right here. How many nes games were there 800 ? Its really the n64 games that would kill you space wise

jvd said:
well ms has 64 meg memory cards. I'm sure nintendo can come out with a 128 meg memory cards for cheap and u can store them on them. Thats gotta be at least a 100 nes games right here. How many nes games were there 800 ? Its really the n64 games that would kill you space wise

There are many N64 games that weigh about 2 - 4 - 8 - 16MB. Only a few are 32MB or 64MB. But you certainly have a point.

jvd said:

Don't forget that Rev's got 2 SD card slots; so I don't think space will be a problem

ah did they saiy it had two sd slots ?

If thats true by the time the system comes out u can prob get a 1 gig sd card for under 50$ that is alot of games haha

jvd said:

If thats true by the time the system comes out u can prob get a 1 gig sd card for under 50$ that is alot of games haha

As far as I can remember, they mentioned it during their conference...

jvd said:

Actually by the time it comes out, 1GB SD cards will be around $25. I bought my 1GB SD card last year for $50.
:)

Why are we even discussing downloading GC games? The platform is Backwards Compatible. You slide a 1.5gb GOD directly into the system. It appears Nintendo is not forcing a native resolution upon 3rd party developers also. Nintendo even charging a dollar for any NES, SNES, or N64 title would net them millions, & not even be viewed as a "ripoff" by the consumer imo. 3rd parties perhaps charging a buck or 2 more, done on probably some form of number of requests per-title, or using extremely high past sales as some form of reference point for 3rd parties.

Or incorporating a points reward system by purchasing Revolution 1st, 2nd, & 3rd party software/& peripherals. (offering the most points for 3rd party titles obviously) These go towards a pre-set amount needed for downloads. (nothing too prohibitive) 1 new 1st party game purchase allows for 2 downloads, 3rd parties doubling that amount. In actuality both ways could be combined, & probably ideal.

Li Mu Bai said:
Or incorporating a points reward system by purchasing Revolution 1st, 2nd, & 3rd party software/& peripherals. (offering the most points for 3rd party titles obviously) These go towards a pre-set amount needed for downloads. (nothing too prohibitive) 1 new 1st party game purchase allows for 2 downloads, 3rd parties doubling that amount. In actuality both ways could be combined, & probably ideal.

I was just going to suggest that. I think that would be a pretty good idea.

Clashman said:
Li Mu Bai said:

I was just going to suggest that. I think that would be a pretty good idea.

Agreed. 8)

they can also do buy mega man ns5 and get the nes - n64 versions in the special collectors edition for 75$

I was kinda thinking they should do something like that if they eventually release a GCP that used a different disk. Sell both GC and GCP versions together for a reduced cost or something like that.

The system can not be free.

Otherwise, it would be much simpler to burn all games together on a DVd and offer it as a bonus launch disk, instead of putting an online service and a 512MB flash memory.

wazoo said:
The system can not be free.

Otherwise, it would be much simpler to burn all games together on a DVd and offer it as a bonus launch disk, instead of putting an online service and a 512MB flash memory.

That would be nice.

Still it can't happen with all 3rd party games, they need the download system in-place for them. And since the online system is there why limit the availability of games only to those willing to go and physically get a DVD? And what happens when you scratch the DVD?

Besides, allowing running of roms off a removable media would make it a lot easier to put stolen roms in use.

It would be nice if you were to be able to use your Revolution SD cards in GBA 2. Play GB, GBA, NES, SNES and perhaps N64/GameCube titles on handheld. :)

Li Mu Bai said:
Why are we even discussing downloading GC games? The platform is Backwards Compatible. You slide a 1.5gb GOD directly into the system. It appears Nintendo is not forcing a native resolution upon 3rd party developers also. Nintendo even charging a dollar for any NES, SNES, or N64 title would net them millions, & not even be viewed as a "ripoff" by the consumer imo. 3rd parties perhaps charging a buck or 2 more, done on probably some form of number of requests per-title, or using extremely high past sales as some form of reference point for 3rd parties.

Or they could follow the standard set by their GBA NES rereleases, or even other companies, and charge $15-$20 a game.

Btw, if they're allowing 3rd parties, how about nonnintendo systems and portables? Like say Sega wants to put its old Genesis games on the system, or some company wants to rerelease a gameboy game.

Back