Gears of War sweeps the AIAS awards..

Why would an Epic employee take a jab at Sony? Are they not working on UT3 for the PS3? GoW supports 4v4 with limited options while R:FoM supports 20v20 with many of options, ranked games, clans support, etc.

I think this guy just saw what he wanted to see. Tim Sweeney called Sony's online platform "enlightened". And they've been struggling with getting MS to allow user mods on the 360.

It's a good game, but man did this sucker get blown out of proportion IMO. It's no perfect gem, that's for sure. Just another fairly short on-rails shooter that's pretty, but with some nice MP. Wish PC gamers would get some coop gameplay more often.

Agree with swaaye.

Depending on how this game hangs on for the next few years, it could end up on my "most overrated of all time" list.

Alongside such greats as:

Donkey Kong Country, Grand Theft Auto 3, Halo, Resident Evil, Mario Kart 64 and many more....

There's not a ton of games on the list. But right now, Gears and Zelda TP are in contention.

Agree with swaaye.

Depending on how this game hangs on for the next few years, it could end up on my "most overrated of all time" list.

Alongside such greats as:

Donkey Kong Country, Grand Theft Auto 3, Halo, Resident Evil, Mario Kart 64 and many more....

There's not a ton of games on the list. But right now, Gears and Zelda TP are in contention.

Agreed it may have been blown out of proportion but I don't think these awards were not deserved for the title, do you?

I'd add to the most overhyped list God of War as well. Great production value in it but not as much substance.

Outstanding Achievement in Online Game Play
Gears of War (Epic Games/Microsoft Game Studios)
How come ?
Yes, the game is incredibly addictive, but it also has the biggest lag issues I've ever seen on xboxlive !
Makes me wonder whether they gave it a try on xboxlive before voting...

Outstanding Achievement in Online Game Play
How come ?
Yes, the game is incredibly addictive, but it also has the biggest lag issues I've ever seen on xboxlive !
Makes me wonder whether they gave it a try on xboxlive before voting...

erm ... I think the worst lag award would probably go to sf2 on live. THAT game can get wicked slow! (as bad as ~2fps)

Overall I've not experienced too much lag in Gears. Depends on who's logged onto the game and what their connection speed/latenecy is.

Well, I've never played sf2'
Anyway, gears is a 4vs4 shooter, and i always play with the same bunch of friends. Of course, we can blame the lag on the connexion, but it should be exactly the same with most games !
Gears is the only one in which you can shoot a guy who is standing in front of you and he doesn't take any damage...

Well, I've never played sf2'
Anyway, gears is a 4vs4 shooter, and i always play with the same bunch of friends. Of course, we can blame the lag on the connexion, but it should be exactly the same with most games !
Gears is the only one in which you can shoot a guy who is standing in front of you and he doesn't take any damage...

Interesting - you sure your friends aren't cheating?

jk:LOL:

I've never had that problem with Gears on known connections or unknown for that matter, but I'm not exactly hardcore in it so might not be the best source for online gaming experience with Gears. :smile:

Now I hate you !
Never had that problem ? I wish it were the same here ;)
I really love that game, but sometimes, I just quit because I can't stand the lag anymore.
My friends and I have 8 to 30 Mb/s connexions (30mb through cable for me) and gears is the only game that has so many lag problems.
When you're hosting, you often feel ashamed : " sorry guys, I shot the 3 of you with my shotgun while you were attacking me at the same time and shoting at me, i'm hosting, sorry"
When you're not, you end up missing motionless people with a shotgun in a one meter range, highly frustrating, isn't it ?

Now I hate you !
Never had that problem ? I wish it were the same here ;)
I really love that game, but sometimes, I just quit because I can't stand the lag anymore.
My friends and I have 8 to 30 Mb/s connexions (30mb through cable for me) and gears is the only game that has so many lag problems.
When you're hosting, you often feel ashamed : " sorry guys, I shot the 3 of you with my shotgun while you were attacking me at the same time and shoting at me, i'm hosting, sorry"
When you're not, you end up missing motionless people with a shotgun in a one meter range, highly frustrating, isn't it ?

Well you'll really hate me know: I have 768k dsl:oops:

in fairness though I don't host for whatever that's worth.:smile:

could it be argued that this game' art direction won most of awards???

Superb art direction

A technical achievement as well

Great sound design as well (fx as well as original score)

Voice acting as a bit meh and the only award I really have an issue with

I would've prefered a longer game but in fairness there was not a lot of repetition, almost to a fault if you ask me.

I would've prefered a longer game but in fairness there was not a lot of repetition, almost to a fault if you ask me.

I didn't mind it being short, but it was kind of repetitive. The lack of environment and weapon variety lead to the same combat from beginning to end. Something simple like being able to hold all the weapons at once (and add a few more) would have led to much more experimenting and variety in combat.

I didn't mind it being short, but it was kind of repetitive. The lack of environment and weapon variety lead to the same combat from beginning to end. Something simple like being able to hold all the weapons at once (and add a few more) would have led to much more experimenting and variety in combat.

Design decision. Similar to Halo in that regard. I like it as it forces you to weigh your options and make a choice.

Weapon selection wasn't mind blowing but I never felt it was limited. The only thing I felt limited with was the environments/situations to use the weapons they provided.

Design decision. Similar to Halo in that regard. I like it as it forces you to weigh your options and make a choice.

Weapon selection wasn't mind blowing but I never felt it was limited. The only thing I felt limited with was the environments/situations to use the weapons they provided.

It maybe a design decision, but it leads to using the same stock rifle for 90% of the combat, hence the repetitive nature. The shotgun was useful indoors, the sniper was great outdoors. I never knew which I would need. The other weapons were so situational you could not afford to lug them around.. I don't care if a game is realistic, I want to have fun.

It maybe a design decision, but it leads to using the same stock rifle for 90% of the combat, hence the repetitive nature. The shotgun was useful indoors, the sniper was great outdoors. I never knew which I would need. The other weapons were so situational you could not afford to lug them around.. I don't care if a game is realistic, I want to have fun.

If you used the same stock rifle 90% of the time that was simply by choice. The chain saw gun was always my standard weapon but my weapon of choice was always the 44 mag, then the shot gun then any of the other various weapon that I would pick up, expend its ammo and then return to pick up my previous weapon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction

I liked Gears, but the art direction was rather bland. Almost everything was browns, grays, sepia or some color mixed with them. I understand that they were trying to convey a form of bleakness to the game, yet it still came across as bland. Then the character designs and the Herculean muscle mass all these guys had. I just never liked the comic book build of characters, and they went that way in the game. Then every other statue being the giant gear motife, again I felt it detracted from the visual appeal.
I personally felt Okami should have gotten this award for art direction since it took the visuals in a very stylized way.
I guess I'm getting rather tired of the "have to make it look real" mentality designers are going for. Again these are just my personal feelings toward it.

My favourite weapon was the amazing torque bow, the standard rifle was good too. Halo1 is the only game ever that I enjoyed to play with a pistol, it was overpowered though.

If you used the same stock rifle 90% of the time that was simply by choice. The chain saw gun was always my standard weapon but my weapon of choice was always the 44 mag, then the shot gun then any of the other various weapon that I would pick up, expend its ammo and then return to pick up my previous weapon.

The chainsaw rifle is the stock rifle, you get it early on. I liked the shotgun, but I held onto the sniper because it was game changing; you can literally shoot a guy in the big toe which was peaking out and kill him in one shot (there is realism for you).

Back