Gears of War - Reviews

Can we cut the voluntee PR crap and get back to the thread, which is Gears Of War, not "Which console you should buy and why".

It's a game that's lived up to the hype by many reviews, though some are raising the issue of the variety of gameplay. I guess GoW deserves the good marks as the first true "next gen" game (visually imo, though I reserve my final judgement of the gameplay until, or if I ever get to play it. But if hearing or reading about it doesn't make me want to play it, I think I'll pass, as I've done so many other games that just don't sound interesting enough to be worth my time).

The 360 is still bogged down with FPS and TPS in my eyes.

It still needs a lot more originality and different genre's.

Hopefully the Japanese development support will continue.

I would dissagree as there are a bunch or racing and sports games which give it some other things to ofer. Don't forget the live games as that offers something different for folks to play :)

Great and that matters specifically to a GOW thread how? ;)

Let's stick to the topic.

It kind of was on topic, as someone suggested that it looked very generic to the Xbox platform, and for the most part i agree with that, don't get me wrong it does look great.

Looking at it from a Playstation fan's perspective though, I can understand the comment that it's a "Typical looking Xbox game".

Anyways yes, back on topic.

I would dissagree as there are a bunch or racing and sports games which give it some other things to ofer. Don't forget the live games as that offers something different for folks to play :)

Yes i agree with that, but seem's western developers are scared of colours, except Rare perhaps :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still holding off the purchase of an X360 for two main reasons:
- I want to get a 0.65nm version, as I hope it'll be cool and silent
- the games I'm most interested in are Bioshock, Mass Effect, Halo3, and they're all going to be released well into 2007.

GOW may tempt me, but I think that a single game just won't be enough. The rest of the current games aren't as interesting to me.

Well, if Gears is a typical looking Xbox game, then the same is true for UT2007 as well, right? Can I quote that in the upcoming PS3 UT2K7 topics later?

Eh, it's only the usual Gears bashing at large here.

- the games I'm most interested in are Bioshock, Mass Effect, Halo3, and they're all going to be released well into 2007.

GOW may tempt me, but I think that a single game just won't be enough. The rest of the current games aren't as interesting to me.

Exactly what I am doing. Had it already been 0.65nm and the game selection as it is now I guess GoW would have made me get it...

Ditto... in the meantime, I have my friend's 360 to keep me entertained. :p Hope you do too ;)

Well, if Gears is a typical looking Xbox game, then the same is true for UT2007 as well, right? Can I quote that in the upcoming PS3 UT2K7 topics later?

Eh, it's only the usual Gears bashing at large here.

Ok, let's all go over now to praising it without looking at all the aspects - even negatives, that's a no-no. Guess that's what you're looking for? ;)

Ok, let's all go over now to praising it without looking at all the aspects - even negatives, that's a no-no. Guess that's what you're looking for? ;)

You mean appreciating what appears to be a truly excellent game?? No...why would anyone want to do that?

It much more interesting to complain about the (non-existent) lack of variety on the 360...

Now, please tell me where I said that Xbox is a one trick pony and its complete demographic only cares for FPS games. That's right, I didn't. I simply said that with the Xbox still presumably being the platform of choice for Console FPS Gamers, Gears of War appeared on the right platform.

Straw man argument. What you said is that the FPS crowd is MS's target demographic, which is certainly wrong. I don't think anyone would disagree that MS knows it's a solid pillar for the XBox brand, but their target demographic is certainly much broader than just hardcore FPS players.

yea, you guys go ahead and argue about a fuzzy texture here or there and the lack of varied game play ...

I'm picking up my copy in about 10 minutes to actually PLAY the game and most likely salivate at the visuals and immerse myself in online multi player fragging bliss :devilish: :D

The problem with bashers in general (not singling anyone out) is that they go straight for the bad stuff without acknowledging the good stuff. If you read the reviews, they mention the negatives but take more time on the positives because it overwhelmingly outweighs the negatives in most reviewer's minds. If a reviewer disliked the game, they would mention a few positives and go into depth with negatives. So it's about balance. The things that are focused on in one's comments reflects one's overall view of the game...or one's preconcieved dislike for a console or company since no one here probably has played any bit of GOW.

I read a couple of reviews and am glad to see a couple of negative points by the reviewers such as crouching when you don't want to because the same "A" button is used in multiple contexts. That stuff is helpful when determining if one were to buy the game. But please folks, don't reveal your bias by always continuing to hammer on and on and on about the negatives to overwhelmingly positively reviewed game.* I want to believe people on this forum are beyond (no pun intended) system biases.

I don't have a 360, but this is the type of game that would bring me closer. 3-4 more of these and I might just get one.

*This could be said for any game on any system, but I just happen to be reading this GOW thread.

I could buy a PS3 if I wanted to, and will eventually, so you don't make alot of sense.

Uhm, first of all it was a bit of a joke, but since you had to once again reply in that rude way of yours, i said NOW you don't have much of a choice, and you won't have much of a choice for a long time unless you preordered. So it made sense as a comment, before even taking into consideration that it was very lighthearted.

Uhm, first of all it was a bit of a joke, but since you had to once again reply in that rude way of yours, i said NOW you don't have much of a choice, and you won't have much of a choice for a long time unless you preordered. So it made sense as a comment, before even taking into consideration that it was very lighthearted.

It made sense as a comment if you ignored the context of the question, which is what console would I buy if I didn't currently own one, regardless of availability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh lighten up scooby for god's sake!

Anyway, off topic, but even if you didn't own one, that doesn't change the fact that you couldn't get your hands on a PS3 now.

Oh lighten up scooby for god's sake!

Anyway, off topic, but even if you didn't own one, that doesn't change the fact that you couldn't get your hands on a PS3 now.

I know you were joking, it's just annoying to once again have a GOW thread derailed because people have to keep whining about random crap...like seriously, who wants to discuss the variety of game library on 360 when the best game for the system has just released and is recieving awesome reviews? Why not talk about the game? Ya think?

/end rant

Back