Gears of War - Reviews

Why do video reviews actually record the reviewer sitting there talking? It's the perfect opportunity to show the game. That's why I'm there... not to see some dorky guy dressed to look hip saying "really cool" dozens of times over and over.

/rant

Spoiler me! Immediately!

Please. :oops:

Why do video reviews actually record the reviewer sitting there talking? It's the perfect opportunity to show the game. That's why I'm there... not to see some dorky guy dressed to look hip saying "really cool" dozens of times over and over.

/rant

yeah... I hope they realize that's what podcasts are for if they're not willing to show the gameplay. :???: Saves on bandwidth too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok after an hour or so of playing Gears..
I have to say this game has absolutely lived up to the hype.

Cliffy ftw.

Now at least, we have someone who's opinion is based on playing the game. I can't see how anyone make an honest opinion (good or bad) about the overall quality of a new franchise game based on screen shots and videos.

Screen shots and videos lack the most important aspect of not only judging a game but experiencing the game, interaction. Ever seen anyone judge a car's handling and ability to corner by watching a video?

Something looks repetitive? 90% of all games have you basically doing the same thing 90% of time.

Something looks unfun? Has anyone encountered a game that was entertaining by simply watching someone else play it?

Screen shots and videos lack the most important aspect of not only judging a game but experiencing the game, interaction. Ever seen anyone judge a car's handling and ability to corner by watching a video?

Actually yes, just about every single time I watch a professional race on TV.

What you said is that the FPS crowd is MS's target demographic, which is certainly wrong. I don't think anyone would disagree that MS knows it's a solid pillar for the XBox brand, but their target demographic is certainly much broader than just hardcore FPS players.

You know what, you are right. To mean what I wanted it to mean, I should have left out 'target', and just have said "360's demographic". My mistake, and my apologies.

I read in a review that the game had no load times what so ever, anyone that played the game here can confirm this? Really no load times? Not even the first load? The X06 demo had some pauses for loading ala Oblivion, do those exist in the game?

I'll check the load times.... just popped it in... WOW...

for the record my little corner game store had 91 reservations for today and normally has about 30 for big releases.

I'm thinking 1 million is a no brainer in record time.

oh and seriously... no jaggies and perfect frame rate

I read in a review that the game had no load times what so ever, anyone that played the game here can confirm this? Really no load times? Not even the first load? The X06 demo had some pauses for loading ala Oblivion, do those exist in the game?

Well it loads, but it is very short that you do not wait that long.. Other than that, there is really no load unless you get killed.. But, again when that happens, it does not take long to load..

Btw, the game really rocks.. I definitely like gameplay and it will be really cool when I have a chance to play with a buddy.

This is a must buy for all FPS/TPS players...

You know what, you are right. To mean what I wanted it to mean, I should have left out 'target', and just have said "360's demographic". My mistake, and my apologies.

Sure..based on your own stereotypes and nothing else.

Meanwhile games like Dead Rising, Kameo, PGR3 and Oblivion sell extremely well...

In my view, GoW captures the essence of nextgen game very well. It combines fascinating elements from various places and present it in a neat package. We all should be happy because it's going to drive 2nd gen PS3 and 3rd gen Xbox game developement harder :D

Once PS3 and Wii hit the road, I believe we will see more amazing things from various corners of the world in the coming years. While you're at it, let me know if you find any Easter Eggs. I'll probably wait until Xbox 360 stablizes before I try GoW.

I predict that this game will get GOTY. Definitely one of the best titles to come out in 2006 if not the best. The best part is, from what little I know, the story seems to be interesting and not cliched.

I would love for it to become a movie though, for the people who won't ever get to play it !

http://movies.ign.com/articles/744/744639p1.html

There is a very short initial load when you first start a game less than 10 seconds or so. After that there is no more loading in the game except for when you die and it loads the last checkpoint less than 5 second load. It's extremely impressive. :)

Also I don't think I've ever been so wowed with graphics before in my life. The game is just beautiful to behold in person. Multiplayer and Single player are equally jaw dropping. The textures are so detailed. The effects, lighting, smooth framerate and the huge draw distance are just incredible. :oops:

Reactions: jb
I'll check the load times.... just popped it in... WOW...

for the record my little corner game store had 91 reservations for today and normally has about 30 for big releases.

I'm thinking 1 million is a no brainer in record time.

oh and seriously... no jaggies and perfect frame rate

More. Tell me more TapIn!

More. Tell me more TapIn!

I'm having a blast playing single player because it's so intense. The enemies are smart and vicious. The mechanics are taking me some time to get used to. the cover system is solid and intuitive yet you need some practice time to learn the nuances and the best way to maneuver.

I went online and got owned in about 10 matches and have since decided to hone my skills in SP some more. Hardcore (medium) is HARD. The gore, blood and intensity are through the roof.

The sound is some of the best I've heard as well. Context active voice is present (battle chatter) throughout and the Locust grunts and groans as well as your squad mates are pleasing to the ears. The bass and thundering sounds of the weapons as well as the subtle ambient sounds are perfect. the graphics are the most polished I've ever seen. the particle effects are amazing, the graphics are the best I've ever seen.

It's definitely the game that makes you say, now this is next gen. As noted above the load times are minuscule and the integration with XBL is the best yet. You can from any game type, call up all of your previous XBL players (from any game) with the push of one button. You can during any MP match, with one touch, see your squad mates online Gamer profile and leave feedback, mute, send messages to, request friends etc.

Back to the game more to come.

Back