Gears of War - Reviews

The length of the game is what worries me. Hopefully that won't be overlooked. Graphics and WOW factor can only take you so far.

I don't think this is a concern at all. As epic last stated. 10 -12 hours for someone that knows the location of everything in the game. It will take more time for anyone that doesn't work at epic. I don't think this game will be any longer than Halo 1. Sheesh halo 1 could be completed in under three hours by people that know the game inside and out. Anyway I think people shouldn't be so worried about this until they play it thorugh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now there's a surprise. It really has to be something special then...

Yeah, and reading the review, they're the first to say that the game definitely has flaws, but the pro's overweight the cons by such a large margin that they had to give it a 10, so it must be pretty amazing to play..

Not sure how many 10's 1up has given away...

Not sure how many 10's 1up has given away...

They gave Bully a 10 for PS2 and gave PGR3 a 10 on the 360 off the top of my head. I'm pretty sure Final Fantasy XII just got a 10 too. The game is too short for my tastes. Rental for me. I generally go on marathon sessions with games so I'd beat it in a day or 2. Multiplayer would have to be phenomenal for me to buy it.

so this game came through. I think you should pay more attention to the 9.4 and 9.2's than the 10's because you know..nothing is perfect.

They gave Bully a 10 for PS2 and gave PGR3 a 10 on the 360 off the top of my head. I'm pretty sure Final Fantasy XII just got a 10 too. The game is too short for my tastes. Rental for me. I generally go on marathon sessions with games so I'd beat it in a day or 2. Multiplayer would have to be phenomenal for me to buy it.

Know nothing about Bully to be honest, but a 10 for PGR3?? Oh well. GOW is quality so who cares.

They seem to give 10's away quite freely i have to admit
NBA 2K2 PS2 OPM 10.0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 PS2 OPM 10.0 (????)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BookWorm Deluxe PC GFW 10.0

Decisive Battles of World War II: Korsun Pocket PC GFW 10.0

Madden NFL 2003 PC GFW 10.0

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic PC GMR 10.0

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory PC 1UP 10.0 04/21/2005

Company of Heroes PC 1UP 10.0 09/14/2006

Ninja Gaiden Black Xbox 1UP 10.0 09/16/2005

Halo: Combat Evolved Xbox GMR 10.0 11/14/2001

Homeworld: Cataclysm PC GFW 10.0

Medieval: Total War PC GFW 10.0

WWE WrestleMania XIX GC GFW 10.0

The Sims: Unleashed PC 10.0

Grand Theft Auto Double Pack Xbox GMR 10.0

Freedom Force vs. the Third Reich PC GFW 10.0 03/28/2005

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay -- Developer's Cut PC GFW 10.0 03/22/2005

Silent Hunter III PC GFW 10.0 06/27/2005

Bully PS2 1UP 10.0 10/17/2006

In contrast, Splinter Cell: DA took me half a (normal, not purely gaming) day to complete, .

That's why it all comes down to difficulty, I play DA on Hard, and am pretty much a perfectionist, so I've put over 15hours into it, and have just reached the Africa level.

Length for gears seems to be 10-12 hours on hardcore, which according to the reviews is 'about right', you can blow through it on casual difficulty in about 8 hours. That's not bad at all, about par for the course really.

Also, just like Halo, the real fun is probably on the second playthrough, on the insane difficulty mode, with a friend. You want to talk replay value...

Anyways, it looks like this actually might be the next Halo, all hyperbole aside. Damn, hope I can pick this sucker up today...

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually for this type of game, I prefer it to be around 10 hours to complete, then I move on to the MP.

lb, these games desrve 10/10
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic PC10.0 (though I would give this note to the Xbox version - better controls)
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory PC 1UP 10.0
Company of Heroes PC 1UP 10.0
Ninja Gaiden Black Xbox 1UP 10.0
Halo: Combat Evolved Xbox GMR 10.0
Homeworld: Cataclysm PC GFW 10.0
Medieval: Total War PC GFW 10.0
I don't know about the others, I haven't played them aside from Riddick and SC Chaos Theory. So 1up group is not that bad;)

The high scores were coming after microsoft continually hot pimp GeOW to the media...for better or worse..

An unnecessary comment, especially concidering your post history regarding this game. It looks like you opinion was wrong. Live with it.

To be honest, I don't generally like this game very much. It's just about long enough for what it offers (8 hours, which is pretty short, really), and it looks pretty good, but I still think it lacks depth. But I do recognise that this is just my own taste.

ummmm... what?

have you played it before the rest of us? It is allegedly 12-20 hours by the way.

The game certainly matches the 360s target audience!

huh?

it matches the "Gamer" audience IMO. this labeling of "us and them" is silly.

Back