Gears of War - Reviews

RAAM is kicking my ass in single player. Can you guys who have defeated him give any general tips? I've tried everything I can think of (even using the chaingun at the front of the train), but I can't take him down before either he or those goddamn kryll get me. I swear I've hit him with 8 or 10 perfect headshots with the sniper when he was unshielded and he still didn't go down. I don't know what else to do. Boss battles like this are frustrating.

RAAM is kicking my ass in single player. Can you guys who have defeated him give any general tips? I've tried everything I can think of (even using the chaingun at the front of the train), but I can't take him down before either he or those goddamn kryll get me. I swear I've hit him with 8 or 10 perfect headshots with the sniper when he was unshielded and he still didn't go down. I don't know what else to do. Boss battles like this are frustrating.

Keep doing that but when he gets closer to you, do a roadie run to the other side of the train. Rinse and repeat.

Keep doing that but when he gets closer to you, do a roadie run to the other side of the train. Rinse and repeat.

Ya that;'s what I did. Use the torque bow to clear the bats, then get 2 sniper shots in the head. When he walks over, roadie run to the other end and repeat. took me about 4 or 5 trips back and forth before I got him.

Very satisfying boss battle, kicked my ass about 20 times :p

Also:

Remember to stay in the light when you find cover otherwise the krill will tear you to shreds. (Don't bother with the turret, it's in the dark.)

Remember to do active reloads. The sniper rifle does like twice the damage when charged with the active reload.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sZtZs0ggEk

Last edited by a moderator:
While I overall enjoyed this game, it only took about 6 hrs. max on casual to beat and it was very hard to follow the story line. It was also incredibly linear. I was also somewhat disappointed by the graphics, I believe that I have just set my hopes to high for this generation in regards to graphics though. I would probably give GoW an 8.0-8.9 probably an 8.5 though.

While I overall enjoyed this game, it only took about 6 hrs. max on casual to beat and it was very hard to follow the story line.

The game is wayyy too easy on casual -- on that difficulty, you're not forced to learn the mechanics of the game, and you can just cruise through encounters that should actually take some time and skill to beat.

The minimum difficulty you should consider playing it on is hardcore.

Last edited by a moderator:
The game is wayyy too easy on casual -- on that difficulty, you're not forced to learn the mechanics of the game, and you can just cruise through encounters that should actually take some time and skill to beat.

The minimum difficulty you should consider playing it on is hardcore.

I have to agree. Now that I'm playing on hardcore with co-op it's WAY more of a step up. You can't just Rambo into places.

BTW, co-op with the a friend is THE coolest part of this game and it works perfect. The AI on your team seems to dumb down and it's basically the 2 of use against all of them. Damn, this game rocks!!!!

Anyone else getting texture loading issues? For me Act 2 just never wants to load the textures of the telephone poles properly. It takes like 10 seconds and they don't always stay properly loaded.

In the house there were some texture loading issues, all of a sudden I thought I was playing a 64 game with high polygon counts. My roommate didn't notice it though.

A friend of mine who has the game is coming over this weekend and we're going to do co-op on insane. I think that I'll appreciate the game more on insane. I'll let you know how I feel about it then.

Still though, 6 hours?

In the house there were some texture loading issues, all of a sudden I thought I was playing a 64 game with high polygon counts. My roommate didn't notice it though.

A friend of mine who has the game is coming over this weekend and we're going to do co-op on insane. I think that I'll appreciate the game more on insane. I'll let you know how I feel about it then.

Still though, 6 hours?

Well I started on Hardcore, and I would estimate it took me at ~12 hours all together.

Finally I found the game waiting for me as I returned from School...
I have put about two hours into it now and HELL YEAH! this game rocks!
It took about a hour for me to get really up to speed with the controls, but now the controls feel really tight. It looks very nice and it's brutal add that to the nice controls and we have a winner.

Gears of War is infinitely better with a friend covering your back than without.

Co-op hardcore difficulty was one of the most memorable gaming experiences I've ever had -- you really want to experience Gears for the first time this way.

BIG NOTE: all of the following is just more of me *****ing and ranting about this game (because it's a great game, I love it, I hope to see improvements in these areas, and I feel like venting a little bit). So if you're sick of reading what I have to say, press X to skip this post. ER, wait, this might not be one of the skippable ones. :devilish: (Also, may contain what may be considered SPOILERS)

Playing co-op makes the game almost half as tough as it normally is (since a death for one person isn't instant start-over most of the time, and you have an intelligent person covering your back--and it all feels awesome, BTW), but then it makes split paths twice as hard as the game normally is, what with having to worry about two people possibly dying and ending the game. Most of the time, this is where covering for your buddy comes into play. And the mechanic works well most of the time. But sometimes it doesn't. The AI's tendency to rush on Insane also makes it much tougher on these VERY linear paths such as the one in the mine in Act III. Of course, the worst part about that one was the spawn glitches with the wretches (My co-op buddy and myself were killed by these *******s spawning right BEHIND us a few times--no crawling from the ceiling, just popping in behind us while in cover). And overall, I have to say the wretches are the toughest enemy in the game. And it feels very much cheap. The Therons are challenging with those torgue bows and tougher noggins... the wretches are just cheap, especially the lambant variety. I wish that the other enemies were the toughest in the game, rather than these annoying distractions that seem like they were meant to get you out of cover for the other enemies to kill you. Same for nemecysts... one hit explosive kills right there. Overall, the game doesn't feel as satisfying just because the most challenging enemies are the cheap explosive variety instead.

It's important, IMO, that a challenging enemy seem worthy of being that challenging. It's why Elites are cool to fight, and Brutes much less so, even though they're often a bit tougher. It's one of the reasons some first person shooters fall flat.

In any case, improvements necessary for the sequel:

Overall-A) More balanced challenge between same path/split path in a co-op game
1) Better AI, that will cover your back more often on split paths ( Act IV, first chapter, as you take on the seeder: Having to deal with the nemecysts, wretches, and Grenadier with Gnasher at the same time in the building felt really cheap. Really, why the hell can't Baird shoot those things down--it's bad enough with a shotgun dude and multiple wretches, it's worse when it's a linear path and he'll eventually rush you, and it's even worse when those stupid nemecysts have an entire ceiling and your side to get to you, pretty much silently as well, and auto-kill you)
2) Less linear design for the split paths. By which I really mean: Don't put me on a road that can only fit one piece of cover on it at a time width wise. i.e., Make it more like the street in Act IV Chapter one, rather than up high or down in the mines. Horrible with rushing AI (Insane).
3) Give us some damn checkpoints on the split paths. The most frustrating part is doing the easy part to get to the hard part over and over and over again. In the game, give us two checkpoints: One is normal, and there's one in the middle of the split path. In the pause screen, below "Load last checkpoint" make a "Load Path-fork checkpoint" which would be the one you go to just before you enter the split path.

(and just to rant again, put your checkpoints AFTER dialogue, not before. I'm sick of seeing the same cutscene or listening to the same dialogue over and over again.)

B) Nothing breaks my suspension of disbelief more than a boss that has 20x as much health as me, but looks only a tad bigger than the rest of the enemies I've been facing. If the boss is going to be tough, make it seem like he deserves to be so, rather than giving him a magical "we need a tough end to this game" field. The other two bosses in this game make sense, and are at least somewhat interesting to fight (just need the right weapon--HoD and Lancer, respectively). The last one is just cheap, and goes back to the old boss crap that should have been purged from FPS game design long, long ago. Halo had the right idea: Boss battles, not boss characters. It screwed up in the sequel, but at least two of said bosses were mostly fair. One actually wasn't that challenging, and it was all the Honor guard (interesting challenge) that made it tough. Fair fight. Another was a little cheap, but not that bad. At least it seemed like it was a slightly intelligent enemy that was causing you all the trouble (hologram decoys/auto-turrets), instead of him just having 20x as much health as you. The last one was crap, but not nearly as bad as Gears' last boss. It might have been better had he taken cover when the flying rats were off, blindfired, had some allies dropped off periodically, etc.

Is the demo for this game ever going to come out on marketplace? I checked today and its still not out even though the game is released. I saw it in a few shops on my way back from work, one had it for £41.99, which is quite good for a big launch game, but I still want to try it first.

Is the demo for this game ever going to come out on marketplace? I checked today and its still not out even though the game is released. I saw it in a few shops on my way back from work, one had it for £41.99, which is quite good for a big launch game, but I still want to try it first.

Woolies supposedly selling them for £34.99...

Back