Gears of War 4 [XO, XPA]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Clukos, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Rangers

Legend

Gears was doing that since...well it was even in Gears 1 in 2006 really. But I think it got worse in every game...

Looking at the vid again the gfx are insane...too bad there wont be a Scorpio version, but I guess there will be a Win 10 version? Maxed at 1080+ that will look ridiculous.

RootKit likes this.
  2. Scott_Arm

Legend

Gears will run on Scorpio, and I'd expect with upgrades. Like PS4 Neo, you bring your library with you. They'd be stupid not to enable better performance, graphics on Scorpio, especially when all of that will be built into the PC version anyway.

RootKit and Rangers like this.
  3. Starx

Regular Newcomer

4. Recop

Veteran Newcomer

I don't find the GFX impressive... finally, Ryse is still the king on XB1. A bit disappointing.

5. Joed

Newcomer

It has great looking environments and impressive foilage but I think Gears 4 and Quantum Break have better lighting and effects, plus run far better. Ryse's performance is bad.

6. turkey

Regular Newcomer

More a question on tvs but given gaming is about to hit hdr what is the best input lag when in hdr mode?
    My suspicion is its over 100ms which really is too much.

Has anyone see some consistent testing on this front? UK or EU sets would be a bonus ;)

7. Rangers

Legend

^^ Yeah that's gonna be a problem with HDR. Dont have any answers though. Hopefully they get it sorted and it's not an intractable problem.

About Gears 4 dynamic res, it sounds good. From the DF article posted by Shifty

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-gears-of-war-4-tech-interview

I'd have rather they locked the res and dropped the frame rate to upper 20's if it was that close, but I suppose that may already happen.

About Scorpio support for Gears 4, well Gears 4 is carefully not mentioned but it does sound like it's in the works

It really sounds like this is the first first party and best tech showcase yet for XBO, ground up DX12. And the videos certainly back it up.

RootKit, shredenvain and BRiT like this.
  8. Michellstar

Regular Newcomer

It's more convenient that way (dinamic) not just for scorpio, pc as well

9. Silent_Buddha

Legend

There shouldn't be any additional input lag for HDR mode. The display just displays what the video stream tells it to display. It isn't like motion smoothing (30-60 Hz or 60-120 Hz for example) or edge enhancement or edge smoothing, etc. where image processing is applied to the incoming video stream.

It's more similar to something like an 8-bit display versus a 10-bit display. Whether the stream contains 8-bit or 10-bit color information doesn't matter on the 10-bit display. And it shouldn't incur any additional lag over and above the tech used to create the 10-bit panel versus the 8-bit panel.

HDR, at a basic level, just adds greatly increased levels of contrast into the mix as well as expanding the color gamut. Which means you either need deeper blacks and/or a brighter backlight, for contrast as well as a wide gamut panel (relatively common for high end professional PC displays). Neither of those will induce added display lag.

Regards,
    SB

RenegadeRocks likes this.
  10. Starx

Regular Newcomer

RootKit and Cyan like this.
  11. Rangers

Legend

Damn it looks so good...and if Fergussen is to be believed, 1080P most of the time (only light horizontal scaling)

RootKit likes this.
  12. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

RootKit likes this.
  13. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

RootKit likes this.
  14. Scott_Arm

Legend

That footage looks pretty cool.

15. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Those tomatoes probably descended from Dom's batch at the beginning of Gears 3. :embarrased:

16. NRP

NRP
    Veteran

Great, exploding robot enemies. Sounds annoying.

RenegadeRocks likes this.
  17. babcat

Regular

The bullshots for the first Gears of War looked better than this game. I wish they could push through the stylism and focus on photorealism. If their primary render target for Scorpio is 4K, I don't think this will happen.

18. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Maybe Samantha and Baird didn't get along after Gears 3 and he made an army of bots.

And then Jack became a humanoid robot.

BRiT likes this.
  19. Rangers

Legend

Man I love that 9 minute IGN footage. So cool and has me way more jazzed about the game. Love the total change in adversary and the cool ominous robotic sayings being spouted by the robots, and the graphics. Holy smokes it's one of the most impressive games this gen with ease. And confirmed running on One...imagine the 4k super duper Windows 10 DX 12/Scorpio version.

It's funny I thought The Coalition was only ~100 strong. Thus, didn't know they necessarily had the manpower to do a graphical showcase. In Rod we trust?

Kudos to the Coalition, they look to be doing what 343 didn't with Halo 5, get me excited.

So I googled the release, Oct 11, barely just two months!

I think they are charging 99 bucks for the super duper version to play 4 days early, kinda low.

I dont imagine I will mess with the MP. I have Destiny for that and Gears MP (the beta) feels incredibly slow and janky after Destiny. You have to press a button to not move like a turtle, it's just a lot to get used to.

#179 Rangers, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    RootKit likes this.
  20. Starx

Regular Newcomer