Gears of War 2

man, i gave this game up due to the years it took to find a decent matchmaking game... is that fixed at all? plus with a B3d crowd it may be worth picking up again.

Horde was the only online mode I ended up playing and I loathe single player games.

BTW Joshua, I can hear people speak in my headphones (have voice output to speaker) so if we're playing you can warn me or tell me a strategy. I just can't respond. :smile: (yes I know, lame)

Can anyone tell me if I'm almost done with the SP?

I'm at the
part where I am fighting in the town that you want to sink, I just killed two Brumaks.

I must admit this level has been the best so far, the previous one in the
cathedral/castle thing
was the definition of poor design, it was bordering on Halo's library with the copy/paste design and mundane low contrast grey color scheme. The pop up cover walls are also kind of funny :D

I think I'm in the minority, but Gears 1 SP is a much better experience. Like Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation said about Gears 2, it seems like the levels and story were done by committee and they don't flow at all. WTF was with the secret medical lab? I have no clue what is going on in the story at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think DrJay all questions will be answered when you buy the sequel. I read somewhere that they are trying to create a huge franchise with many episodes out of this Gears of War story. So patience my friend!

Can anyone tell me if I'm almost done with the SP?

I'm at the
part where I am fighting in the town that you want to sink, I just killed two Brumaks.

Yep, you're pretty close to the end. There's one more big 'event' between you and the end of the game.

I must admit this level has been the best so far, the previous one in the
cathedral/castle thing
was the definition of poor design, it was boarding on Halo's library with the copy/paste design and mundane low contrast grey color scheme. The pop up cover walls are also kind of funny :D

Yeah, I wasn't crazy about that either. The fight with the boss was also pretty bad. Bosses in this game are pretty disappointing so far, but I think I've mentioned this before.

I think I'm in the minority, but Gears 1 SP is a much better experience. Like Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation said about Gears 2, it seems like the levels and story were done by committee and they don't flow at all. WTF was with the secret medical lab? I have no clue what is going on in the story at this point.

Yeah, I'm exactly the same. Gears has a strong central mechanic, I really don't think that 'mixing it up' is so important.

I thought the variety was refreshing considering the number of games that plow through 10 hours having the gamer do the same thing over, and over, and over again. The central mechanic of cover based shooting is also where the MP modes (offline & online, bots and/or humans) gets a really strong workout.

I really like the game now, at first I fought with the control (it was more like as were fighting with the controller as I had play on console for a while) but now that I'm used I'm sold.
The game is entertaining that for sure, I would even it's almost "casual" as I managed to have my wife to jump in! She was really showing cold feet here but once she tried she got really caught in the game.
The fact that you mostly only focus on one analogue stick at a time makes it easier for new comers.
We're 2/3 into the game (difficulty recrue) and I'm sure that we will replay it and that she will enjoy to play horde too. Really happy here to be able to share some time with her (it proved impossible with some other games like the RE5 demo).
Still I have some griefs against the game. I've no complain with the core game mechanic, I experience really few bugs and the cover system is really solid. In fact I still have few games but out of all the demo I tried I think that it's the shooting mechanic I like the most. Really great and entertaining.

So my main complains.
*During sp campaign the frame rate is pretty solid, not a huge complain here but I think it could have been better. In coop (split screen) the frame rate drop consistantly it affects gameplay that's for sure, it's far from a deal/fun breaker but it bothers me (my wife couldn't care less...).
Clearly I would prefer a more smoother experience even at the cost of decreased overall IQ. Epic didn't dare to implement this, anyway I've the feeling that they has been seriously lacking time more on that later.
*I also noticed that in coop my squad seems to act dumbier, it could be an impression but I noticed it. The same in SP once I started to play music from my usb key Dom all suddently start to act way dumbier. I think that Epic must have hit serious cpu limitations.
*There is also something that bother in regard to the overall looks of the game, there is some constant "shimmering" going on and the game clearly lacks AA even if edge detect helps (more on this later).
*I also think that the game is clearly missing huge/epic boss battle, once again I think that Epic has clearly miss time and it comes in line with what some online players (I don't play online) had stated at launch in regard to MP/horde.

That's pretty much a lot of complains in regard to title that I enjoy a lot (and I will clearly buy the fisrt iteration) :LOL:

It appears that most of my concerns with the game are tied to how the UE engine works. There is no question that the game looks really good but GeoW II and so UE III supposely the pinnacle of what the 360 can do if anything doesn't play on the strength of the 360 hardware (Ok I konw it's the internet as its worse as I don't qualify to have a proper opinion in this regard). I clearly question some Epic choices.

The game looks clearly cpu limited in some situation the engine still doesn't support tiling and instead use edge detection which basically trades bandwidth on the GPU side for CPU cycles. It's a pretty odd choice (especcially if you think about some gamefest presentation about most games being already cpu limited and the bandwidth available throught the edram). I know it has to do with the way UE3 handles shadows but Epic works (and not only for themselves) on the 360 for 3 years now they should have found a workaround or implement another shadowing technic (some games using UE3 seems to support fullscreen AA).
I'm also wondering if Epic in GeoWII could be using the enlighten engine from Geomeric for the lighning. Geomeric lighning engine runs on one hardware thread on the 360 (a SPU in the ps3). Xenon can run 6 hardware threads, 2 are already taken by the OS and the "main game thread" if enlighten engine is used then Epic is left with 3 hardware threads to deal with all remaining task. Once again trading CPU cycles for Vram bandwidth is odd. I wonder if it's one of the reason for the AI problems I faced (see ealier).
I tried to guess how cpu ressources could be shared among the three xenon cores:
core0:
Thread1: main game thread
thread2: task based
core1:
thread3: enlighten
thread4: task based
core2:
thread5: OS
thread6: task based
Basically rendering, decompression, AI, animation could be handled in task based fashion maybe with some priorities. I wonder if squad members AI could be considered low prioirty handle and every time the OS thread need some few( really few) extra juice the balance is broken and the AI take the hit (could be true wether or not enlighten is used).
I don't know if GeoW II really use enlighten but I think that while on the ps3 stealing a SPU may not hurt (so much untapped power here on most games) securing one thread on the xenon is a huge hit.

Other than that I think that Epic may have consider to lower the resolution to overcome whatever limitation they are facing on the GPU side, I mean due to DOF background are already blurry (in a nice fashion tho) so the drop in resolution would have go unnoticed there. On the more vivsible part of the scenery I'm sure that the loss in IQ would have been easily compensated by real AAx2 and they may have user the power freed by dealing by less pixels by pumping the vertex load I mean environments could use more geometry.

Last edited by a moderator:
I played the entire game from start to finish (including "train the rook" with my SO in split-screen co-op. I didn't get the "Friends with Benefits" achievement -- I'm apparently 28/29 done. I've never, ever played single player in Gears of War 2 and I've finished the game, so that's kind of perplexing.

Shame on Epic...

I thought the variety was refreshing considering the number of games that plow through 10 hours having the gamer do the same thing over, and over, and over again. The central mechanic of cover based shooting is also where the MP modes (offline & online, bots and/or humans) gets a really strong workout.

Yup, Gears 2 had a much better campaign than Gears 1. The variety really sets it apart from other shooter campaigns and gives it the feel of an action movie.

I'm not the only person who feels this way, to me Gears 2's basic combat is still fun and satisfying, it's all the on rails/vehicles set pieces they added that often feel unbalanced, unsatisfying, and unfinished.

The story also became overwrought and too dark in 2.

The difficulty also became far more unblanced in 2. In 1, insane is hard but fair. In 2, theres many unfair difficulty choke points and insane is much harder, to the point of being no fun at all.

In the end part 1 is the superior game imo..

Who cares about the story or the boss fights? Horde is a game in and of itself...make that two games...no five!

I finally finished it in co-op. I liked the new uber-weapons, they add some spice to the whack-a-mole normal fighting. Overall the first game was tighter and more focused. As bad as the story was in the first one, the second one made it worse.
First his dad had the secret info, then he had the idea to blow the sink hole, is anyone in the military doing anything? My favorite part was at the end "We lost the bomb" (really, you lost it? No backups?) "We can use the big Brumak as a bomb!". Who wrote the script, a 12 year old?

I also felt the first game put you into their world, it flowed from the level to level. The second one felt like a Gear theme park, jumping from locale to locale with little motivation or reason other than to implement an idea someone had at Epic. "You know what would be cool?
Lets go into a worm, then ride a Brumak, then we need a flying section and then a scary secret lab!
"

Yep, instead of being tighter and more focused (code words for repetitive) Gears 2 uses weak plot elements to string together a large variety of gameplay dynamics to keep the gameplay unrepetitive. I will take fresh gameplay with a lame story over a solid story with poor repetitive gameplay anyday.

But then again I don't play many games for stories (because almost all of them stink, are cliche, and poorly executed). But that is my take on the game story genre. Horde is a good example of excellent gameplay with really, really bad "story telling." I think more games would benefit from not bowing to the concept of story and leave the story stuff to games that do it well.

Gears 2 has a better story and gameplay than Gears 1.
It really does feel like an interactive action movie, complete with utterly over the top set pieces.

Back