GART: Games and Applications using RayTracing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:

:ROFLMAO:
That is awful wtf?

Like is it that hard to maintain a UE standard plugin? I was under the impression that this game was using the bog standard RT features in UE4 and not custom things based on the EA version. Those standard UE effects work perfectly fine with DLSS.

"And specific thanks to AMD, who very much provided us with great technical and resource support to make sure FSR 2 performs extremely well in Boundary. AMD has been a wonderful partner these last few months.”

:unsure: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Jesus fucking christ. I've always had this susipcion, but now thats basically hard evidence. AMD prohibits DLSS in their sponsored games and also proper RT implementations.

And this is consumer friendly AMD? Hopefully they will get some flack for it, just like Nvidia gets when they do anti-consumer BS.

Jesus fucking christ. I've always had this susipcion, but now thats basically hard evidence. AMD prohibits DLSS in their sponsored games and also proper RT implementations.

And this is consumer friendly AMD? Hopefully they will get some flack for it, just like Nvidia gets when they do anti-consumer BS.
I think people had the wrong impression that these features were somehow standard, unless the vendor makes an honest attempt maintain support out of their own resources there is always inherently going to be inertia against implementing even simple things such as DLSS ...

As for RT, I imagine that they initially implemented those effects with Nvidia libraries/code as opposed using the upstream implementation so removing unsupported/unmaintainable code/features is an easier proposition as opposed to restarting from scratch ...

DLSS is standard in UE4. The first game was published three years ago. There is nothing stopping developers using UE4 to implement DLSS.

I think people had the wrong impression that these features were somehow standard, unless the vendor makes an honest attempt maintain support out of their own resources there is always inherently going to be inertia against implementing even simple things such as DLSS ...
No one has that impression here. What they do know is that if they have FSR2 integrated then everything is in place already in the engine to integrate DLSS2, making the work relatively easy.

For people unaware, this is how you install DLSS in UE:

1. Download dlss for ue plugin.
2. Put the dlss folder into UE engine /plugins /marketplace (or something like that)
3. Start UE editor and enable DLSS in the plugin menu. That's it.

It works great out of the box already. There is no reason to not integrate DLSS, except for one reason that should be obvious to pretty much everyone now.

No one has that impression here. What they do know is that if they have FSR2 integrated then everything is in place already in the engine to integrate DLSS2, making the work relatively easy.
Still it doesn't change the fact that it's non-standard feature so there's no incentive for them to do "extra work" for the benefit of a single vendor. They were totally fine with implementing XeSS since there was a standardized version (DP4A) and there's not as many concerns about obsolescence either ...

Still it doesn't change the fact that it's non-standard feature so there's no incentive for them to do "extra work" for the benefit of a single vendor. They were totally fine with implementing XeSS since there was a standardized version (DP4A) and there's not as many concerns about obsolescence either ...

Benefit of a vendor? I think you mean benefit of the people buying their game, the vast majority of whom are running Nvidia hardware. This is clearly a simple case of paying to box out a competitor and promoting an inferior solution. Seems silly from the developers perspective given Nvidia’s market position.

FSR isnt a standard feature, too. TAAU is standard, so every other features means additional work without any benefits...

Benefit of a vendor? I think you mean benefit of the people buying their game, the vast majority of whom are running Nvidia hardware. This is clearly a simple case of paying to box out a competitor and promoting an inferior solution. Seems silly from the developers perspective given Nvidia’s market position.
It's a matter of interpretation and not every developer or anyone has to subscribe to that favourable line of thought so don't be surprised to see pushback from the industry whether that's because of nefarious reasons or not. If you or anybody wants DLSS to be the expectation then you and the others should hope that Nvidia change their own ways rather than make the entire AAA game industry (who mostly appeals to console customers) pivot to them ...

I think we should just drop this unrelated subject to thread at hand ...

If you or anybody wants DLSS to be the expectation then you and the others should hope that Nvidia change their own ways rather than make the entire AAA game industry (who mostly appeals to console customers) pivot to them ...
What do you propose to change in ways with which Nvidia is distributing DLSS right now? Make it compatible with other h/w even if it will lead to said h/w running with DLSS worse than in native res?

What do you propose to change in ways with which Nvidia is distributing DLSS right now? Make it compatible with other h/w even if it will lead to said h/w running with DLSS worse than in native res?
Making it compatible with other hardware would be a decent starting point otherwise you're going to have cynical doubters who see DLSS as nothing more than a self-enriching power move for Nvidia to get developers solely simping for them out of their own free time that benefits no one else in the industry ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back