GART: Games and Applications using RayTracing

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's starting to become pretty much essential to have a raytracing capable GPU for any kind of high end gaming. I'm starting to feel seriously left behind on this 1070 :(
According to https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/confirmed-ray-tracing-and-dlss-games-2021 there's 34 or 35 (depending if you count Metro Exodus Enhanced as separate game or not) games which currently support RT.
Just Steam alone got over 10 000 new PC games last year. That would mean "any kind of high end" is way under half a percent of games released in a year (rounding a bit) without taking into account games released on other platforms but not steam.
For AAA games "any kind of high end gaming requires RT" probably would hold true though.

According to https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/confirmed-ray-tracing-and-dlss-games-2021 there's 34 or 35 (depending if you count Metro Exodus Enhanced as separate game or not) games which currently support RT.
Just Steam alone got over 10 000 new PC games last year. That would mean "any kind of high end" is way under half a percent of games released in a year (rounding a bit) without taking into account games released on other platforms but not steam.
For AAA games "any kind of high end gaming requires RT" probably would hold true though.

I would argue that if you can't play any of the following games (with many more landing all the time) with maxed out graphics regardless of the resolution or framerate then you're not really high end gaming:
  • Amid Evil
  • Battlefield V
  • Bright Memory Infinite
  • Call Of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)
  • Control
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Crysis Remastered
  • Deliver Us The Moon
  • Dirt 5
  • Fortnite
  • Ghostrunner
  • Godfall
  • Justice
  • Mechwarrior V: Mercenaries
  • Metro Exodus / Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition
  • Minecraft
  • Moonlight Blade
  • Mortal Shell
  • Observer: System Redux
  • Pumpkin Jack
  • Quake II RTX
  • Redout: Space Assault
  • Resident Evil Village
  • Ring Of Elysium
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  • Stay in the Light
  • The Fabled Woods
  • The Medium
  • Watch Dogs Legion
  • Wolfenstein: Youngblood
  • World Of Warcraft: Shadowlands
  • Wrench
  • Xuan-Yuan Sword VII
  • Amid Evil
  • Battlefield V
  • Bright Memory Infinite
  • Call Of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)
  • Control
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Crysis Remastered
  • Deliver Us The Moon
  • Dirt 5
  • Fortnite
  • Ghostrunner
  • Godfall
  • Justice
  • Mechwarrior V: Mercenaries
  • Metro Exodus / Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition
  • Minecraft
  • Moonlight Blade
  • Mortal Shell
  • Observer: System Redux
  • Pumpkin Jack
  • Quake II RTX
  • Redout: Space Assault
  • Resident Evil Village
  • Ring Of Elysium
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  • Stay in the Light
  • The Fabled Woods
  • The Medium
  • Watch Dogs Legion
  • Wolfenstein: Youngblood
  • World Of Warcraft: Shadowlands
  • Wrench
  • Xuan-Yuan Sword VII

Theres also community mods to many games. For example vice city ray traced (GTA5 mod)

Things like this exist for San Andreas aswell. And many other titles. Its free nice hidden gems.

And how many of these "non AAA" games are used for benchmarks? Hm? two?

there's 34 or 35 (depending if you count Metro Exodus Enhanced as separate game or not) games which currently support RT.
And then you have the majority of upcoming AAA games supporting RT:

Forza Horizon 5
Halo Infinite
Dying Light 2
Atomic Hearts
Far Cry 6
STALKER 2
Bright Memory Infinite
Boundary
Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines 2
The Witcher 3 Next Gen Edition
Hitman 3
Flight Simulator 2020
The next Call Of Duty

Not to mention the hordes of indie titles and the console titles as most of them do have some form of RT now. Also, once RT is implemented in an engine, most of the games that used that engine will have RT. Like the 4A engine, or the Northlight.

Last edited:

Forza Horizon 5
Halo Infinite
Dying Light 2
Atomic Hearts
Far Cry 6
STALKER 2
Bright Memory Infinite
Boundary
Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines 2
The Witcher 3 Next Gen Edition
Hitman 3
Flight Simulator 2020
The next Call Of Duty

Not to mention the hordes of indie titles and the console titles as most of them do have some form of RT now. Also, once RT is implemented in an engine, most of the games that used that engine will have RT. Like the 4A engine, or the Northlight.
Yes, but that changes little. It's beyond elitist to think "any kind of high end gaming" is sub 0.5% or even 1% or whatever of games released on one platform in one year. Make that "any kind of high end AAA gaming" and it's completely different.

Yes, but that changes little. It's beyond elitist to think "any kind of high end gaming" is sub 0.5% or even 1% or whatever of games released on one platform in one year. Make that "any kind of high end AAA gaming" and it's completely different.

What’s the definition of high end?

Yes, but that changes little. It's beyond elitist to think "any kind of high end gaming" is sub 0.5% or even 1% or whatever of games
No it's not, this has always been the case with the introduction of new DX features, it exists in a small bubble of games in the beginning. Not to mention that new games will always be a small % of the overall games on the market. PC gaming is over 40 years old after all.

No it's not, this has always been the case with the introduction of new DX features, it exists in a small bubble of games in the beginning. Not to mention that new games will always be a small % of the overall games on the market. PC gaming is over 40 years old after all.
Limiting "any kind of high end" to that small bubble is the exact same thing - extremely elitist. For AAA games, sure like I said already earlier, but for PC gaming as a whole, no, but "any kind of high end" surely covers more.
PC market is old which is why I used number of new games released on Steam in one year as the metric rather than the whole games market.
As crude analogy, that's like calling only the very highest clocked helium cooled RTX 3090 as the only "any kind of high end GPU"

which is why I used number of new games released on Steam in one year as the metric rather than the whole games market.
A flawed metric, the Steam platform in particular is flooded with simple, trash or small games, with outdated or simple graphics, that often require no more than a GTX 1060 to run at max settings and resolution.

The metric for high end games is those that offer the state of the art graphics and visual flair, requiring the most capable GPUs to run on a given resolution, which means that currently for any serious graphics enthusiast a capable RT cards is required, given the serious amount of AAA games that offer the state of the art graphics through ray tracing.

Ray Tracing visuals in these games are nothing more than an Ultra Enthusiast setting.

Last edited:
For AAA games, sure like I said already earlier, but for PC gaming as a whole, no, but "any kind of high end" surely covers more.
So can you give some examples of high end non-AAA games which wouldn't fit into the same requirements as AAA ones?
OTOH I can give you Ghostrunner - an indie game which support RT and DLSS meaning that it's not at all different from an AAA one in requirements.
And I don't really understand your point. These 10000 non-AAA games released each year would run badly on a modern RT capable GPU or what?

Forza Horizon 5
Well, at the moment, only 'ultra enthusiasts' are willing to pay 2000 just to enjoy RT in Forzas photo mode :D
But like anyone, they buy only one copy of each game. Developers get no cut of that, and expensive HW is the last thing they want for their target platforms.

Seems RT adoption on developers side is good anyway, but we can add one more year of delay to get it on minimum specs and capable GPUs at a price of 250.
Til then it remains a luxury, and games lacking RT support are not 'outdated' just because of that.

PG haven't said anything about FH5 PC version features yet. It's possible that RT will be enabled on PC in more than just Forzavista.
I thought the same.
But some DSOG article claimed it's the same on PC. But yeah... not sure why i still skim those articles at all :)

Depends on the game and implementation.
What would be an example of a non RT AAA game which looks dated because of that?
(Serious question - not having RT GPU idk what i miss. Hard to judge from YT and screenshots. Though, as a gamer i would feel no need yet to upgrade. Exodus is the only game which makes a bigger difference to non RT, but i've played that already.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back