GART: Games and Applications using RayTracing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doom Eternal raytraced. Looks like just reflections which makes sense given the game’s aesthetic. Lots of shiny’s if you can manage to stop running around like a mad person for 2 seconds to appreciate it.

Click pic for YouTube. Couldn’t direct link due to age restrictions on the video.

Yes hard to see but to me it looks like just reflections, no GI but its hard to tell cause nearly everythign is reflecting
Its nice that its fast but graphically its not that impressive

but look at the following, it just feels super flat and lifeless, view in firefox
doom.jpg

I think it's a bit too much to expect a patch to a previous gen 60 fps console game (which is Doom Eternal) to make it into a game with full dynamic GI, raytraced shadows and all that stuff.
It is very much the same as Youngblood, and it's fine IMO. RT reflections look a lot better than SSR/cubemaps here. There's also some additional effects like reflections on transparencies which are absent completely with RT off.

wtf! Can't watch without proofing my age to google. That's just a game, grrr :mad:

A game where you routinely stab humanoids through the brain and cut them in half with a chainsaw :D

Yes hard to see but to me it looks like just reflections, no GI but its hard to tell cause nearly everything is reflecting. Its nice that its fast but graphically its not that impressive

Nearly everything is reflecting and there are tons of light sources on screen. Not the best showcase for GI.

Last edited:
Nearly everything is reflecting and there are tons of light sources on screen. Not the best showcase for GI.
Oh sure I agree its a good showcase for reflections as everything is shiny
but there are literally 1000s of other games they could of choosen

look at the screenshot I posted above, it looks like a composite image, is it? honest question, I dont think so but then again its hard to tell

the two guys with the yellow rocket exhasts are flying I assume, not standing on the ground, as there is zero sense at all they are standing on the ground but if you look at all the creatures they are the same, I assume some are on the ground, I assume the guy on the right is standing on that kiosk?
his left leg is in front of the purple box, is that on the ground?
are the green, red bullets in the bottom right part of the scene or the HUD?
Is that red box bottom middle on the ground?

Yes the reflections look brilliant but the whole picture just looks so flat and lifeless, it looks so artificial

Oh sure I agree its a good showcase for reflections as everything is shiny
but there are literally 1000s of other games they could of choosen

Not sure what you mean. Doom Eternal seems to be pretty popular so it’s an obvious target.

Yes the reflections look brilliant but the whole picture just looks so flat and lifeless, it looks so artificial

Yeah that screenshot is pretty bad. A lot of objects and characters in the scene aren’t grounded in the environment.

Doom Eternal raytraced. Looks like just reflections which makes sense given the game’s aesthetic. Lots of shiny’s if you can manage to stop running around like a mad person for 2 seconds to appreciate it.

Click pic for YouTube. Couldn’t direct link due to age restrictions on the video.

Very meh indeed. It almost feels as if they've got the raytracing, but not a proper PBR shading model. Maybe the raytracing was indeed kind of bolted on on top of the rendering pipeline and might not be respecting the material fresnel, roughness, or light conservation of energy or whatever. Or maybe it's that the original game's material shading and lighting was not that properly PBRish to begin with, but rather hand-tweaked to look good within the bounds of that specific game's rendering style and once they fiddled with that some artistic assumptions don't hold up as well anymore.

A geat example of when just throwing more compute and precise math at a title doesn't necessarily bring appreciable visual improvement.

Found a version of the video which does not need proof of age.

Yeah, seems all reflections are sharp and not respecting roughness. But 3080Ti can run at 4K native, so won't complain. Doom does not try to look realistic anyway.

Found a version of the video which does not need proof of age.

Yeah, seems all reflections are sharp and not respecting roughness. But 3080Ti can run at 4K native, so won't complain. Doom does not try to look realistic anyway.
As far as I remember there were diffuse reflections in Youngblood but they were rare and the majority of them were mirror like for obvious reasons. Eternal will likely have a similar setup.

Is DLSS coming to Doom as well? Performance gets roughly cut in half during action scenes based on that video.

True but again we're looking at 4K. If it runs similarly to Youngblood it will hit 60 in 1440p even on a 2070S.
For those with shower cards there's DLSS of course.
At 1440p where high refresh rates are more common DLSS doesn't require them to trade that for RT. A choice most probably wouldn't make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back