GART: Games and Applications using RayTracing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool demo. There's RT of course but the geometry and texture detail is pretty high too.

It's locked at 48fps and 13GB vram usage on my 3090. GPU usage sits between 50-70% depending on how many transparent/reflective surfaces are on screen or with the fiery marble. But always locked at 48fps even in the menu. I can't figure out how to check what resolution it's running at though or how to change the resolution. I'm not sure if it's actually running at 48fps either because it feels noticeably choppier at certain points.
I think I recall Nvidia stating it was using DLSS to output 1440p. No idea what the pre DLSS resolution is. Does anybody know to what extent RT is being used here?

Omniverse has a path traced mode but I'm pretty sure Marbles isn't fully path traced. I was able to increase the resolution and raise the frame rate cap by editing the config file -

AppData\Local\ov\pkg\marbles_rtx-2021.1.5\_build\windows-x86_64\release\apps\omni.app.marbles.kit

Default resolution is 1080p with a 50fps cap. Performance hovered in the 40s after increasing to 1440p and a 60fps cap. GPU usage increased to 85-95% with the higher settings.

A quick google lead me to the nvidia blog, wich contains this: "Physics-based demo based on NVIDIA research shows dynamic ray-traced lights, path tracing and 100 million polygons, all running in real time on a single GeForce RTX 3090 GPU.

Beyond demonstrating the latest technologies for content creation, Marbles at Night showed how creative professionals can now seamlessly collaborate and design simulations with incredible lighting, accurate reflections and real-time ray tracing with path tracing."

This is taken from https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2020/11/02/marbles-at-night/

This seems interesting

We describe a technique for GPU and RTX accelerated space skipping of structured volumes that improves on prior work by replacing clustered proxy boxes with a GPU-extracted triangle mesh that bounds the active regions. Unlike prior methods, our technique avoids costly clustering operations, significantly reduces data structure construction cost, and incurs less overhead when traversing active regions.

Another goodie coming this fall

I'm quite surprised that we still haven't seen any 'smaller' indie game with normally simpler graphics going all out on RT. Unless I've missed them?

Especially now that rogue-likes for example are all fashionable again, I can only imagine what a fully RT version of something like Dead Cells or even R-Type kind of shooters could look like!

I don't know if it's the right place, but can this kind of reflection on the windows of the car, here using RT, be done with the cubemap method ?

1091500_20210530111555_1.jpg

I don't know if it's the right place, but can this kind of reflection on the windows of the car, here using RT, be done with the cubemap method ?

1091500_20210530111555_1.jpg
Needs quite high resolution cubemap rendered every frame at car location.

As is cubemap is only correct to infinitely far away geometry, so to get near wall or ground to have near correct parallax a some form of correction would have to be made.
Classic method would be to have perspective correct cubemap in which you fit the cubemap faces to certain distance/size and it can give decent result in corridors etc.

For more accurate reflection one could trace depthmaps of each face of cube and get quite convincing results.

Half my family works for LEGO.
Was there for 2 week during 10th grade (work experience as a tehcnical designer), nice company.

Btw LEGO is short for "Leg godt" (play well/play good)...an acronym, do not know how you grammar that one in english ;)

Go danmark :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back