gaming keyboard

I have had the G15 except I found it does not like drinks spilled on it so I am like you needing a new gaming keyboard.

My experiences on the G15 are... the display was less useful that I originally anticipated. Such that having the LCD is no longer part of my wish list. However the back lighting was great and I cannot even contemplate a keyboard without it. It was great for my use in games and anything else because I hate having lighting on in the background.

I can't comment on the second choice. However I am waiting for release of this keyboard.

http://www.razerzone.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_21&products_id=76

It is already been setup as SKU's on a number of sites and they are just waiting for delivery. There you go a 3rd option to confuse.

Listen to the wise words of the mighty Davros
what you need is an original IBM keyboard - "keyboard of the Gods"

I was just thinking that the Dinovo Edge is starting to become affordable, and seemingly ideal for me at least, because it has:

- bluetooth 2.0 ... according to the interwebs it works great with the PS3 without having to use any dongle, but it also comes with a dongle if you need it on PC, 360, Wii
- integrated mousepad ... so you don't need to worry about charging, and you don't need to fuss with a surface for the mouse
- comes with a cool recharger for the whole thing that again looks great, and is very useful (no hassle with batteries)
- it looks awesome, and matches particularly the black PS3 in that regard very well.

I saw it for 170 euros, which is starting to make it affordable (the only other Bluetooth option available right now is a 100 euro MS keyboard with separate mouse and only the mouse has a recharger stand)

There are several bluetooth sets from Logitech available, but stay away from them - the range sucks badly, more than 2m will already give you serious lag and problems with the signal, despite them advertising it as "20m range" (their marketing people are on crack obviously). I also doubt that the others are any better in this regard.

There are several bluetooth sets from Logitech available, but stay away from them - the range sucks badly, more than 2m will already give you serious lag and problems with the signal, despite them advertising it as "20m range" (their marketing people are on crack obviously). I also doubt that the others are any better in this regard.

30m for the DiNovo ;)

I haven't heard anything like this though. I'm very much inclined to give this thing a go, maybe even getting it tonight. :) Thing is, I think my wife will like it a lot as it removes some more wires. ;)

I came across this, which I'm putting here for future reference:

KEYBOARD

* F1 = Triangle button
* F2 = Square button
* Esc = Circle button
* Enter = X button
* Up, down, left and right arrow keys are self explanatory.

MOUSE

* Wheel click = PS button
* Left click = X button
* Right Click = Triangle button
* Movement = corresponds to controller movement on the XMB as well as during playback (move mouse left to rewind, right to fast forward). Wheel will scroll up and down in XMB, does nothing for playback.

I like the MS Comfort Curve 2000. $15 on Newegg, half-throw keys and ergonomic layout (non-split key though) = hours of gaming comfortably.

Do you really want a keyboard with a dedicated gaming "area"? It forces you to use those or else you're just wasting money on the keyboard. Therefore if you ever run into a game that doesn't agree so much with its layout you're pretty screwed.

The Razer keyboards are also way to expensive for what they offer... which is nothing to be honest. Their keys are not special, and their software is barely up to par with Logitechs.

The G15s LCD is wonderful as long as you keep the software updated! That's the key to the LCD screen, it doesnt develop its own applications for each new game. But if you keep the software updated and check out sites like www.g15mods.com you'll get great use from it. There is also a new revision of the G15 out, though its more expensive and the LCD screen is smaller. They removed some macro keys (I would love to know the person who used all of those macro keys on the original) but I consider that a plus since the keyboard is now a manageable size.

Me personally, I like a comfortable keyboard and I type more than I game lately. So I use a Microsoft Natural 4000.

I have an aluminium keyboard which is kinda nice cant remember the brand though...

how about the saitek cyborg:
http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/cykey.htm

Cyborg Keyboard

High-end, adjustable, gaming keyboard with customisable backlighting,
programmable functions and media keys.

Multi-colour backlighting with Tru Vu illumination through keys (mix shades from Red through Amber to Green) and adjustable brightness
Touch-sensitive, backlit dashboard control panel
WASD, cursor, ‘Cyborg’ and NumPad keys can be lit independently from the rest of keyboard to highlight commonly used gaming keys
Cyborg Mode – instantly disable the Windows keys and configure the colour and brightness of your gaming keys at the touch of a button
Set and forget – persistent key illumination settings ensure colours remain even after a system reboot
12 programmable ‘Cyborg’ keys
Hard wearing, metal-plated key caps in key gaming areas
Pass-through USB, audio and microphone sockets
Enhanced multiple key presses in gaming areas for complex in-game commands
Adjustable wrist rest and keyboard rake angle (front and back)
Gold-plated connectors for USB and Audio

ps: the IBM keyboard wasnt a joke they are fantastically well made with each key usuing proper springs, each key also has a removeable cover you just dont see engineering like that today
ps: later models had ps2 plugs no need for an adapter

Yes, it's the Model M, right? They are still mentioned occasionally in online keyboard reviews, I've noticed. :)

Anyway, I decided to try out the DiNovo Edge I mentioned above, and as advertised, it works flawlessly with the PS3, and it's really a special piece of kit. It's expensive, but it seems to adequately supply my mouse needs as well, and it's extremely practical to have one fixed piece of kit that can do both, and is also rechargeable. Apparently a single charge lasts as much as 2 months, and it's got a great recharging stand included. As a bonus, it also looks great and matches the rest of my equipment perfectly (PS3 and Samsung LCD). Since it comes with a dongle that I don't need on PS3, I may use it with my laptop as well and get rid of some more wires there too. So far, awesome piece of kit! (oh, and kudos to Sony too of course for supporting it so well ;) )

Has anyone seen the saitek cyborg on sale saiteks site dont have a price listed and i cant find one on google

not bad for $1500

Yes that's been hanging in the future for quite some time now. Frankly, for $1500(*), apart from the OLED keys (which'll probably wear out) it doesn't actually look particularly stylish IMO.

(*) $1500, not currently in stock, will be next year, maybe, honest. But I'll send $1500 to Russia anyway, just after I get the $25 million that that nice chap from Lagos promised me in an e-mail.

Back