Gamespot infers that Killzone was realtime at 75% power

Status
Not open for further replies.

OpaOpa

Banned
Those guys are pretty sneaky. The fact is, the report they refer to states that the current Cell dev kits are 2.2 Ghz, roughly 75% of the Cell's final specs.

So this is what they report to the masses:

Retail PlayStation 3 more potent than E3 demo?

Japanese site says Sony’s PlayStation 3 demo (what specific demo?) was running on an inferior developer kit that’s 75% speed of final version
Back at Sony's PlayStation 3 presentation at E3, the company and its publishers showed off a number of demos and presentations, some of which were running in real-time on a developer's prototype machine. Naturally, one of the questions that were raised by the audiences was whether the actual console--which hits stores in spring 2006--would be able to run its games with as much graphical integrity. The answer is yes, according to Web site ITmedia, which reports that the finalized PS3 will be exceedingly more powerful than its current developer’s machine.

ITmedia revealed that the Cell chip used in Sony's current PS3 developer machine is running at only 2.4 MHz, which is just 75 percent of the actual speed of the machine's final spec of 3.2MHz. The report also reconfirms that the graphics processor unit used in the machine is not the real RSX chip that will be used in the final product, but another GPU that Nvidia has yet to officially announce.

By Staff -- GameSpot
POSTED: 06/22/05 06:26 PM PST

---------

The underlined portion would lead most people who are up on gaming news, to believe that the much debated Killzone movie was not only realtime, but at 75% of the PS3's final power. Pretty carefully worded, not sure if it's honest reporting though.

Except they could have been talking about the fight night demo or the unreal 2k7 demo :) I do't see them saying anything about killzone

Food for though, considering Heavenly Sword was running at 10 frames per second, it's safe to say it will be 30 fps once it is fine tuned and on final hardware.

jvd said:
Except they could have been talking about the fight night demo or the unreal 2k7 demo :) I do't see them saying anything about killzone

It was purposely vague. Noticed how I italisized 'demo'. The only contraversy about their presentation was Killzone and Motorstorm. That is a fact.

They are leading their reading audience into believing those games are running at 75% power. It was clearly established during E3 that Fight NIght and Unreal 3 were real time.

Where did u get the heavenly sword at 10fps ? From what deano has said it doesn't sound like it at all. It sounds like they used the engine to render the images and then used a software package to make into trailer we saw .

Anyway this is most likely more of sonys hype . They are dropping out hints and infering things that wont come to pass but no one will call them on it cause they never said this

jvd said:
Where did u get the heavenly sword at 10fps ? From what deano has said it doesn't sound like it at all. It sounds like they used the engine to render the images and then used a software package to make into trailer we saw .

Anyway this is most likely more of sonys hype . They are dropping out hints and infering things that wont come to pass but no one will call them on it cause they never said this

Hmm can't remember, but the outdoor scenes were rendered on a dev kit and edited to look 60 fps. Can't remember where I heard the 10 fps figure, thought it was Dean O.

jvd said:

I'm not questioning the 75% figure at all. Im just saying the way this news was spun at Gamespot was pretty reckless. Then again it's the same site that threw around the 'PS3 is 3 times as powerful as X360' rumor in every other next gen news story pre-E3.

I woulden't know that if I only went to Gamespot for my Gaming news.

Killzone2.jpg

Killzone.jpg

Some gaming sites are setting up their viewership for disapointment, not sure why....

"Food for though, considering Heavenly Sword was running at 10 frames per second, it's safe to say it will be 30 fps once it is fine tuned and on final hardware."

Dean(who works for Ninja Theory)already stated that the demo that was shown off was not using any of the SPE's of the Cell chip. If anything, Dean thinks they can get even better graphics at close to 60 FPS. There's a thread on here where Dean answers a lot of questions about the game.

nickguy94 said:
"Food for though, considering Heavenly Sword was running at 10 frames per second, it's safe to say it will be 30 fps once it is fine tuned and on final hardware."

Dean(who works for Ninja Theory)already stated that the demo that was shown off was not using any of the SPE's of the Cell chip. If anything, Dean thinks they can get even better graphics at close to 60 FPS. There's a thread on here where Dean answers a lot of questions about the game.

Sure link us to these quotes where he says these things .

nickguy94 said:

PLease link me to where he says he thinks they will get better graphics close to 60 fps.

fwiw:

Sony asked for 1080p for the trailer, so we provided it... Assuming all things being equal I can't see why the final game wouldn't...

FPS I'll be really disappointed if we can't keep a steady 30 at worse and would prefer 60 but given time scales 60 may not be possible (I'm personally fussy about framerate so I'll try for a steady 60fps)
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=523125#523125

edit:
on the other hand, he also doesn't say the demo source was at 10fps

If you split the demo into 2 sections (interior and exterior), the interior runs real-time quite happily at 1080p. The exterior struggles a bit but more because we just kept adding more and more till it looked right without going through various optimisation passes then anything else (i.e. the flags are really expensive at the moment due to a quick implementation).

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=522134#522134

Gamespot infers that Killzone was realtime at 75% power

Can you stop with the crap titles? The article does not say such so stop, just stop.

If you want to relive the stupid debate read the search function. But this is NOT a "My console whips your console with one arm behind its back" forum. IGN, GAF, GameSpot, etc... will warmly welcome you if that is what you are interested in.

Thank you.

Dean: "We haven't yet made the jump to a multi-thread game architeture yet. Almost everything sits on a single thread..."

"Graphics and framerate are the low hanging fruit. Just threading up the animation system and procedural graphics (hair, cloth, flags etc.) will gives us a large amount of CPU time back for the game. The army need this the most.

Longer term, Physics and AI services are obvious candidates.

As for what improves?, thats a good question. The priority is to move the heavy weight stuff off the main game thread, hopefully doing this will provide lots more time for the game code. That should improve the gameplay in lots of ways. "

Sorry guys I really don't feel like searching through the remaining 5 pages to get the other quotes. Feel free to do so if ya like.

The trailer was made by selecting a bunch of in-game moves/cool things, Then those frames making up those bits were output at 1080p from the engine. These are then all stuck together in a editing and post-processing package to look like a movie trailer.

But fundementally the 'renderer' itself was in-game, so you can see the shadow issues in certain frame where the in-game shadow map resolution optimiser doesn't do its job.

So in all fairness its not quite as black and white as either real-time or CGI...

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22971&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

Doesn't sound like the trailer was running in real time . Using the engine yes . Running real time ? doesn't sound like it .

Though he does mention they had 500 characters running at once though the framerates weren't stellar . Far cry from the 2000 he says were in this render

jvd said:
Sony clearly surpassed all graphical expectations with the PS2, as you will note if you go back and check out the tech demos they released (FFVIII, GT2K etc.) compared to what we have now (GT4, FFXII). The only notable lie was the renders of the getaway which were released by Team Soho. Even then The Getaway was technically no slouch.

Microsoft on the other hand outright showed CG (Raven) and claimed it was real-time. They also said the Xbox could pull off Toy Story graphics (compared to an independant analyst claiming PS2 could).

I'd certainly like to believe that KillZone PS3 is an indication of what to expect in high-quality titles (for all 3 systems), because frankly everyones expectations were of that level and higher before the influx of next-gen media started.

Okay guys . This is going back down the path of the threads I've locked .

To the new posters in this thread. We try to lay off the killzone hype here . These threads quickly fall into flames and as the article doesn't mention killzone and we are quickly heading down the same old path I am locking the thread on this before it gets out of hand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back