120fps at 4k can still look fake

hollywood movie also use "go monochrome" very often. For example, its all a shade of greens in Matrix series. Shades of blues in Pacific Rim and Prometheus.
in games... shades of yellow in DeusEx. shades of poop-brown in gears of war series...

here a sample of shaded vs normal
mJVbi0W.jpg

... btw isnt that also the effect of "colorgrading"? at least thats what i get when messing around in cryengine years ago. and nowadays many games already did it.

EDIT:
tried with driveclub... nothing changed.. both still looks fake.
2tkqngP.jpg

although if i make it severely blurry. It do looks more real.
lb37DUk.jpg

Last edited:
although if i make it severely blurry. It do looks more real.
This is exactly what the author in the prior posts was mentioning, and what I was attempting to convey as well.

Your brain is excellent at filling in the gaps with what it expects to be there. If you continue trying to fill those gaps with detail, your brain will then spend the time scrutinizing the detail rather than glossing over it. As such, higher and higher resolution images actually end up looking less realistic, because your brain will spend the additional time processing all that extra detail, finding the obvious errors (a line that is unnaturally straight, a shadow edge that isn't naturally softened, a texture that is "noisy".)

This has some of the qualities the author looks for. As in, degenerates image quality, while outputing to a highres modern display. Does it look more realistic, as in, fools you into believing this is real world footage rather than a synthesized render? Sure. Is this desirable over a sharp and clean image for games? Debatable.

This has some of the qualities the author looks for. As in, degenerates image quality, while outputing to a highres modern display. Does it look more realistic, as in, fools you into believing this is real world footage rather than a synthesized render? Sure. Is this desirable over a sharp and clean image for games? Debatable.
But that's the crux, isn't it? Do you want it to look real, or look fake but be uber high resolution which might entice adjectives like "sharp and clean" at the expense of realism?

Sorry but that does NOT look real. Let's not kid ourselves here, a picture of Nathan Drake resized to 100x100 would also look 'real' but we're not going to play games at avatar-size resolution. Just as no one wants to play games at 480i/p or with ridiculous filters to try to hide graphics to a point where they look 'real'. Which they don't.

Silly analog filters are not the solution.

for certain game, blurry but looks real can add to the experience. Something like heavily scripted like heavy rain?
hmm, i wonder what happened when you watch current PS4 games in CRT SDTV...

Some of you need to have visual problems before you decry degraded images looking non-real ;) I'm nearsighted to the level of my focal range being within 1.5" of my nose -- in my good eye. My real life, even with corrective lenses, is probably not something that you guys would consider "crystal clear". As such, I respond far better to a fuzzier image than the "uber crystal clear" attempt.

Back