Game Subscription Services [GamePass, PSNow, EA Access, Stadia+, etc] *spawn*

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
17 PS2
362 PS3
341 PS4
736 total. - some odd math but I double checked

What is weird too is that they have VR games but they are not grouped into a VR section !?

Last edited:
17 PS2
362 PS3
341 PS4
736 total. - some odd math but I double checked

What is weird too is that they have VR games but they are not grouped into a VR section !?

If I understand right that the PS2 & PS3 games are cloud only right? Also, aren't there PS1 games too?

Tommy McClain

I thought some PS2 games were downloadable because they run inside an emulator? Or is that PS1 only?

When I went to the console to find out how many 360 & OG Xbox games there were, I only found 246 instead of 383. Evidently, when I was on the web site I didn't click on the "Console" tab instead of the "All" tab. So it was including all the Game Pass PC games too. Oops. :) I thought they still had more than 300, but it looks like once they started propping up the Game Pass PC library more, the console library started to drop. :/

Anyway, I counted 24 Xbox 360 & 2 OG Xbox games out of the 246 console games.

With the correct numbers, the Game Pass console library doesn't look as big as the PS Now library(provided @goonergaz got the 356 right). Though there are 201 PC games that can be downloaded. All the PC games on PS Now are still cloud-only.

BTW, the PC library has lots of overlap with the console library. I would have to manually count them to find the duplicates as there no easy way to filter them.

Tommy McClain

I thought some PS2 games were downloadable because they run inside an emulator? Or is that PS1 only?

Yeah, I was thinking it was PS1 games, but after a quick Google it looks like its PS2 games.

Tommy McClain

If I understand right that the PS2 & PS3 games are cloud only right? Also, aren't there PS1 games too?

Tommy McClain
PS2 games are downloadable to my PS4. No PS1 games which seems odd because they could really pad it out quite easily and say over 1000 games!

All PS2 games downloadable no PS1 games at all

When I went to the console to find out how many 360 & OG Xbox games there were, I only found 246 instead of 383. Evidently, when I was on the web site I didn't click on the "Console" tab instead of the "All" tab. So it was including all the Game Pass PC games too. Oops. :) I thought they still had more than 300, but it looks like once they started propping up the Game Pass PC library more, the console library started to drop. :/

Anyway, I counted 24 Xbox 360 & 2 OG Xbox games out of the 246 console games.

With the correct numbers, the Game Pass console library doesn't look as big as the PS Now library(provided @goonergaz got the 356 right). Though there are 201 PC games that can be downloaded. All the PC games on PS Now are still cloud-only.

BTW, the PC library has lots of overlap with the console library. I would have to manually count them to find the duplicates as there no easy way to filter them.

Tommy McClain
I assume the PC games are downloadable because of the whole MS cross buy thing.
FWIW I double checked all the numbers posted - there was an exclusives tab, I’ll check it and post.

144 exclusives in total - that's pretty good...even if you have to stream them all on PC.

So, to keep thigs neat...

PSNow @ 13th Aug 2020;

17 PS2 games - all downloadable on PS4 (and assume PS5)
362 PS3 games - streaming only on all systems
341 PS4 games - all downloadable on PS4 (and assume PS5)
736 total games available (not sure why it's not adding up right)
144 games are exclusives (ie only way to play the game is via PSnow or a PS console)

Last edited:
144 exclusives in total - that's pretty good...even if you have to stream them all on PC.

So, to keep thigs neat...

PSNow @ 13th Aug 2020;

17 PS2 games - all downloadable on PS4 (and assume PS5)
362 PS3 games - streaming only on all systems
341 PS4 games - all downloadable on PS4 (and assume PS5)
736 total games available (not sure why it's not adding up right)
144 games are exclusives (ie only way to play the game is via PSnow or a PS console)

Thanks for the list!

Too bad you have to have the PS Now app on the PS4 or PC in order to get that data. Sounds like their Store needs some work too.

Tommy McClain

Thanks for the list!

Too bad you have to have the PS Now app on the PS4 or PC in order to get that data. Sounds like their Store needs some work too.

Tommy McClain

You don't need the app on PS4, just browse via the store. Yes, it's my biggest bug bear of all the stores and digital in general

You don't need the app on PS4, just browse via the store. Yes, it's my biggest bug bear of all the stores and digital in general

So the PS4 Store is not the same one I see on their web site & mobile app? Because there's zero info in those on PS Now games.

Tommy McClain

The lack of marketinng/clear understanding around PSNow is clearly a factor. I also think that the fact you can get deals left right and centre of GP is also a factor...but certainly Sony could compete if they wanted to, but I feel they want to control their exclusives moreso than MS.
imho the issue with PSNow is that people HATE streaming, more so at 720p

Placing this article here as it appears to be the defacto Gamepass thread. Please move to whatever OT that is if I'm wrong.
One Dev’s Xbox Struggles May Show How Game Pass Is Already Changing Games

I have to admit I did not know Furi existed before they announced that they had new DLC for it. Since it was a game that came out while I was on a long break from gaming, my interest in it is still very low. Haven was on my "may buy someday" list but not anytime soon.

Last edited:
I didn't know about Furi at all.

They seem to be the ones behind Haven. i was interested in it when they had the reveal trailer. I tried the Haven demo a few years back, enough to know the game wasn't for me. When it was on GamePass I didn't even play it. I'm not sure that game subscription services had anything to do with lack of Haven success.

As a counterpoint to game subscription services making indie game development success more difficult, have a look at Death's Door. It seems to have had success and didn't enter onto a subscription service until a year after release.

Placing this article here as it appears to be the defacto Gamepass thread. Please move to whatever OT that is if I'm wrong. One Dev’s Xbox Struggles May Show How Game Pass Is Already Changing Games
Similarly, Eurogamer posted an editorial today which is a mix of thoughts, but seems to ultimately conclude that recent experiences like needing to delay Starfield, Redfall (along with Halo Infinite), could mean Microsoft's need for GamePass is to deliver games on a regular cadence will result in more AAA games being considered too ambitious and being retargeted as AA games to get them out quicker, and on a more predictable timetable, xx months/years in the future when the need to drop a new GamePass title.

I can't recall if this was discussed on B3D or not, my memory is fuzzy. While it's just the base PlayStation Plus tier, it hilights that developers and publishers should be aware of the deals they make.

It does, the guy is blaming the console manufacture for something he agreed too. When you get paid to include your retail product in a deal, then complain it worked out badly for you, this suggests you you have given it a little more consideration.

On the flip side how many games were moderately (or ever very) successful inside such a subscription model but could have been much more successful outside of that? Nobody knows because this is unknowable. I think if Among Us had dived into into GamePass of PS+ earlier, that would almost certainly have resulted in less profits for the developer, because because like a lot of India sleeper hits it was a slow burn.

That's interesting as most takes are that Game Subscription services spreads the risk across game development and allows for delays to some titles to ensure quality.

Which isn't that different to when developers delay full-priced retail products to consumers outside of subscription models. Every developer wants to release the as-best version of the game as possible.

The difference, I assume, is the desire for Microsoft to hit a regular cadence of a new AA/AAA game every X months, compared to developers just dropping games every 2-3-4-5-6 years when the game is ready.

Which isn't that different to when developers delay full-priced retail products to consumers outside of subscription models. Every developer wants to release the as-best version of the game as possible.

The difference, I assume, is the desire for Microsoft to hit a regular cadence of a new AA/AAA game every X months, compared to developers just dropping games every 2-3-4-5-6 years when the game is ready.

Yes. This seems to apply to others too, like Ubisoft, EA, Amazon, and Sony. Pretty much anyone who offers a subscription service. They need to feed it too.

EA is somewhat mitigated because gamers let them get by with the annual team roster change.

Microsoft spent $80 Billion in past year or so to broaden their IP and development studios to have the content, once the effects of the pandemic and de-CODify the COD machine that takes up all Activision studios.

What will the others do to have success with their offerings?

Back