*Game Development Issues*

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by valioso, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FirewalkR

Regular

Jon Olick, ex-Naughty Dog/ICE Team and from what I heard, one of the main guys behind the PS Edge tools. Of course, I don't think he's the only PS3 programmer they have. With this guy onboard, Carmack should know very well what the PS3 can or cannot do.

2. chachi

Newcomer

They're using more memory to rescale it in software since it requires the initial framebuffer and the 720p one in addition to the art assets. That's why it's interesting, because it's so weird. :)

I'd say the answer is probably more like they had the assets for 720p and didn't bother redoing them for the larger framebuffer they used on the 360. If it's only going on a 720p set then it doesn't really matter all that much, it's only when 1080p is involved that their weirdness becomes a problem.

Also if scaling from the original to 720p is done to achieve the TCR in that it softens edges then it seems so would scaling from the original to 1080p (or doing any scaling, or just a general blur, some choices are obviously better for IQ than others but all would soften edges).

3. JPT

JPT
    Veteran

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6195345.html

So can we assume that all we have seen is pre render videos from PCs? And why does PS3 and Xbox360 versions "differ" in video playback?

4. wco81

Legend

5. GuestLV

Regular

Re: FIX PS3 replay issue or Im NOT buying!
    http://www.operationsports.com/forums/2038562580-post16.html

6. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Weird. Can't they just give an SPE a job to stream and compress the animation data to HDD? And back? Should be a piece of cake, and give you unlimited replay without quality loss. Why waste RAM on it at all?

7. GuestLV

Regular

It seems they dont care about Cell SPE
    Looks like a Carmack path of programing?
    http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=204508&page=2
    If most people choose GPU oriented path of programing ,it will be bad for Sony Cell oriented programing strategy

#707 GuestLV, Aug 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2008
  8. Heinrich4

Regular

9. jandlecack

Banned

DICE already changed with Mirror's Edge (and possibly Bad Company) and it's no surprise to me that EA as a whole follow lead. There's more companies to do this already, e.g. Criterion under EA. It's really the sensible thing to do in order not to piss off PS3 owners but also satisfy Xbox owners.

I hope Ubi shift ASAP. I know that the Far Cry 2 devs have different teams working on each version, so there isn't a sloppy port, which I'd consider just as good as making PS3 lead platform.

10. nAo

nAo Nutella Nutellae
    Veteran

What can I say..it was about time.

11. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Why should xbox 360 owners not be pissed. I'd want the xbox 360 games to be the very best they can be, I don't see how focusing on other platforms and then porting is going to do that.

I don't buy EA titles anymore though so its no skin off my back

12. aselto

Regular

That entire article is just pure speculation.

13. wco81

Legend

You saying you had a role in EA studios switching?

14. nAo

nAo Nutella Nutellae
    Veteran

Where have I said that? I've been advocating this methodology since when? I think 360 and PS3 had not even been released yet.. :)

15. wco81

Legend

The "What can I say ... " sounded like taking credit. ;)

That is, beyond posts at this forum.

EDIT: Especially since San Mateo (or is it Redwood Shores EA is located at these days?) isn't too far from "San Francisco."

16. betan

Veteran

Nothing involving an SPU is a piece of cake.
    That said, the reason for lack of HDD usage is probably the other console as always. ;)
    (Of course it's also equally likely Sony may not be allowing continues streaming to HDD, but we know a couple of Sony games using background streaming, so maybe not).

What's weird -for me- is that they seem to be recording animation frames as if animation is not deterministic (not even psedo-random).

17. catisfit

Regular

Some interesting quotes about Edge on PS3:

...and about how the exclusive studios cooperate:

18. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

They claim that they get only 30 to 40% of the PS3's power. But my question is, are these tools good enough to exploit that untapped power?

If for example Uncharted which is amazingly beautiful, is just the beginning, how much better can the graphics improve and will they improve that much?

19. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

I'll say this - right now no existing games nor any games coming out in the next year has anything remotely on Uncharted when it's at its best. At least that's how I feel after playing it again. Initially I thought it may look a bit aging now that I played it again, but man once you get to the fortress again it's amazing quality graphics just strikes you hard!

There's a lot of interesting tech in Uncharted (streaming, graphics pipeline) and it's all well and publicly documented too. I'm still worried that multi-platform development won't use any of it, but then again comforted that at the very least there will be a sequel to Uncharted!

20. liolio

liolio Aquoiboniste
    Legend

A spin off would be is the cell overpowered in regard to the overall system?

Not like have spare of cpu power is bad but in regard to system limitations like:
    GPU power
    RAm available
    Bandwidth
    etc.

Like Ms wanted a cpu good enought to saturate the graphic sub system, it could be like cell even mostly 'untaped" is enought to sature ps3 other parts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.