G4 talks about this weeks x05.

Personally, I see more of Spiderman 2 in Crackdown than GTA. But GTA and Spiderman 2 aren't totally different games.

Anyway, what others may not have noticed is that G4 cut and spliced the video of Crackdown to remove, IMO, the cooler parts. I think they may have done the same with the PDZ footage too.

If that show was a post to this forum, it would be 100% flamebait. I think that sums my feelings pretty well.

Inane_Dork said:
Anyway, what others may not have noticed is that G4 cut and spliced the video of Crackdown to remove, IMO, the cooler parts. I think they may have done the same with the PDZ footage too..

Are you saying they subversively edited the footage to make it look less cool?

Heh.

heavenlyglory said:
Yeah, in response to Peter Moore saying "videos are videos..they shouldnt ever be compared to actual gameplay"

The guy sarcastically agrees and says "Take the most impressive looking game at X05, Crackdown.." and proceeds to show some cut scene or something from it.
Then said something like "When we asked if thats actual gameplay, they hid behind the "Well thats the way its going ot look in gameplay" smoke and mirrors."

You really have to see this to believe it, the guy is trying so hard to just trash the 360.

The guy never mentions ANY other games which were incredible and playable (with the exception of PDZ which he only mentioned because he was dissapointed).

It's just bad man. I'm wondering how he got the green light to do what he did.

And his bit about the blu-ray..wow.

I hope Moore or Allard addresses this segment at some point.

Don't panic he did the same with the PS3 at E3 and i have it recorded from G4,he was the first one to look on denial and say pre-render to the Killzone video sony show,when others were more optimist about it,he also slam sony for showing just videos.

The other G4 staff were talking about how great the movies look and how it would make you wonder if it was rela time or not,and he slam them saying that MS could have also do the same pay to some studio to make them a CG and say that is how the final product will look like.

Hell i think back then that he was pro MS,but now i say that he have slam both MS and Sony.

pso said:
Failed to impress? For you probably...

Mass Effect and Too Human alone should've impressed gamers around the world.

Kameo, Oblivion, PGR3, and NBA2K6 gameplay vids added to the MS/Xbox360 hype. X05 was far from a failure IMO.

3roxor is a PS3 ******. X05 wouldn't impress him no matter what was there.

Well with no other historical data and seeing this clip in a vacuum, i'd have to say at least THIS guy is biased against MS:

http://media.putfile.com/G4_AOTS36

Theres a clip of Peter Moore saying "you shouldnt judge a console based on vdeos and not gameplay." The host goes on a rant about how MS showed a video of crackdown and that it was the same thing as KZ at E3.

He didnt bring up any of the best games coming out in the launch window and picked on an obvious weak link graphically in PDZ. Also no mention of the big game announcements. I'm not sure he was even at X05...

IF they want to knock PDZ thats fine, but tell the whole story. And why bother comparing the 360 to PS3 at this point anyway? Until you can play both of them theres really no point is there?

J

expletive said:
Well with no other historical data and seeing this clip in a vacuum, i'd have to say at least THIS guy is biased against MS:
J

I swear to you expletive he is bias against every console maker. Last year he use to bash Nintendo HARD. And I mean real hard. I remember reading people on boards that love Nintendo used to curse him out bad. Then around E3 he bashed Sony day after day about not showing real gameplay even though they weren't coming out for another year plus.

He constantly said that KZ was impossible and if it was possible (which he thought it wasn't) that MS would automatically lose. And now it seems like he is bashing MS and lately has been praising Nintendo for their new DS games coming out and innovative controller. I think he's just a big flip flopper that's all. Nothing against MS or anything.

mckmas8808 said:
I swear to you expletive he is bias against every console maker. Last year he use to bash Nintendo HARD. And I mean real hard. I remember reading people on boards that love Nintendo used to curse him out bad. Then around E3 he bashed Sony day after day about not showing real gameplay even though they weren't coming out for another year plus.

He constantly said that KZ was impossible and if it was possible (which he thought it wasn't) that MS would automatically lose. And now it seems like he is bashing MS and lately has been praising Nintendo for their new DS games coming out and innovative controller. I think he's just a big flip flopper that's all. Nothing against MS or anything.

Maybe he just hates videogames. Strange how he keeps his job if so.

You guys are being terrible... I can't believe I'm going to defend this guy (I frankly think he's a bit of prick), but HE"S NOT BIASED!! Seriously, he may have his issues that he voices, but that doesn't make him biased.

The first day of X05 when AoTS (the name of the show) started, the very first thing they did was show a trailer for Mass Effect and announce games. You guys are forcing him into a little bubble world! You take one comment he makes out of the multitude and then because you don't like it, call him biased or a fanboi. If you watch the show enough, you'd realize the guys just railing against the "Sony only shows movies, we have games". He spent A LOT of the time saying "where are the games, Sony?" (I'm paraphrasing), and now tadaa MS shows a bunch a movies. SC4, Mass Effect, Too Human, and so on were just movies, realtime or not that's no better than what Sony has been doing and it pissed him off, especially so considering Sony has at least 6 months to go while XBox is in launch mode.

Not everyone has to love what you love! Would you act this way if he said he hates peaches or coffee or whatever? Let it go.

Acert93 said:
Are you basing this on a gameplay video or what the publisher has said?

All I have seen is the screenshots and the admission from Rockstar that it wont be visually stunning due to the genre limitations so they are taking a more "stylistic". And all I can gather is that it is a GTA knockoff (plenty of those around) with a super hero/comic book twist.

So how has this "blown away everything" on the 360? We have not seen anything gameplay in action nor received any definite fine/specific details on how the game will work (let alone if it will be balanced, engaging, fun, etc).

I agree gameplay is king, but I am at a loss how a game with no actual gameplay footage can be said to be blowing away games that have some pretty good gameplay. Off the top of my head Kameo and Oblivion seem to raising the bar in the gameplay in their respective genres, likewise CoD2 and PGR3 seems to be an evolution in theirs.

I am interested: What specifically about Crackdown have you seen/heard that gives you the strong impression it has?

The game world of Crackdown has collateral damage. Meaning the game world can be destroyed. For example if you need to break into a large building like a warehouse and the main entrance is heavily guarded, you can get into a big rig truck and drive it straight thru the buildings wall. As a car is damaged you can take the car door and use it as a shield or throw it as a weapon.

The game world is vertical, so you can climb buildings and shimmy along ledges or break into buildings via a 5th story window.

Each of the 3 criminal orginizations has 7 kingpins, each specilizing in a certain area. One kingpin might specilize in weapons procurement. So if you takedown that Kingpin that provides weapons to that paticular group, the guns the hechman carry will be less powerful because that kingpin won't be there to provide the lastest and greatest weapons anymore. Another kingpin could be a gang recruiter, so you take down that kingpin and the numbers of henchman will go down.

Over LIVE you can play co-op. You can both run around the city doing whatever you want, and when you want to help each other you can do so.

Azrael said:
Maybe he just hates videogames. Strange how he keeps his job if so.
Presumably he plays an antagonist. He's the gameshow presenter everyone loves to hate who's only there to throw negativity into the mix. That's a usual way for TV producers to think.

"We wanna do a game show. How can we keep it really interesting? What sort of presenters do we need?"
"Well you'll probably want the geek; a cool geezer; some babe/totty, a chick who likes computer games in leather is normal; and then some moron who gets up everyone's nose and talks rubbish. He's there get some emotional involvement."
"Emotional involvement?"
"Anger. Viewers get angry with him. Otherwise it's just a load of trailers and poor interviews which has no emotional grab."

BTW I haven't seen G4 so don't know how the presenter setup is.

G4TV is crap, TechTV was better i used to live on that channel, but since comcast bought techtv and merged it with G4, I can't stand G4.

mckmas8808 said:

Youre right. I found a link to a playstation forum where the playstation fanb0ys were bashing him because he was anti Sony. Seems no one likes him. I have no problem with him being hard on consoles as long as his points are valid.

J

I saw this on g4tv too.. I can not beleive he took 5 min. out of the show to just slam the 360... I hope that show gets cancelled because it is bad anyway...

What happened to all the good shows.. Tech tv had allot and so did G4 before they merged...

Brimstone said:
The game world of Crackdown has collateral damage. Meaning the game world can be destroyed. For example if you need to break into a large building like a warehouse and the main entrance is heavily guarded, you can get into a big rig truck and drive it straight thru the buildings wall. As a car is damaged you can take the car door and use it as a shield or throw it as a weapon.

The game world is vertical, so you can climb buildings and shimmy along ledges or break into buildings via a 5th story window.

Each of the 3 criminal orginizations has 7 kingpins, each specilizing in a certain area. One kingpin might specilize in weapons procurement. So if you takedown that Kingpin that provides weapons to that paticular group, the guns the hechman carry will be less powerful because that kingpin won't be there to provide the lastest and greatest weapons anymore. Another kingpin could be a gang recruiter, so you take down that kingpin and the numbers of henchman will go down.

Over LIVE you can play co-op. You can both run around the city doing whatever you want, and when you want to help each other you can do so.
Thanks Brimstone.

So the game progresses from the idea of a persistant world to a persistant *dynamic* world where 1) your actions impact the future of the game and 2) the world is your play thing, use it as you want... and pay/reap the consequences.

If they succeed on this... well, that would be one large and significant step in game design. This is no small order... the AI is going to be intensely hard to do, and for every game asset the user uses the developer is going to need to create 5-10x more to make the world seem "full and varied" and give each gamer a unique experience.

If they succeed I hope the game theme/story is appealing to the mainstream. GTA, even though I dislike the theme (one reason I don't buy them), it seems to get people really excited. If Crackdown succeeds in attaining its vision I hope everyone and their dog gets this game.

G4 is interesting .

When i first started watching g4 (not tech tv) they bashed nintendo till they were blue in the face. The nslowly the hate went to ms .

Its really bad at this point where 90% of the time they are bashing the xbox 360 with tina hyping up the nintendo stuff .

Then there is the one guy from attack of the show that likes halo 2 and a few ms games .

I really odn't listen to what they say i only watch for exclusive info

Kevin Pereira

this was taken from his website
You just can’t win...

Microsoft f@nboys think I’m owned by Sony.
Nintendo f@nboys think I’m a Microsoft whore.
Sony f@nboys think I’m a cyborg from 2017, created via joint effort between MS and Nintendo, sent back through time to defame their precious console.

Meanwhile...

My favorite console of this generation is the Xbox.
If given a choice I’d want my hands on the Revolution controller over, say, Jessica Alba.
And words cannot describe my love for all things Harmonix, Katamari or God of War.

I called out the GameCube for lacking 3rd party support and genre whoring Mario. Naturally, that won me the hearts and minds of the Nintendo community.

I was the loudest opponent and skeptic of Sony’s pre-rendered KillZone E3 PS3 parade. Thus, I was labeled a non-believer by legions of Madden loving dual-shock worshipers.

And I recently called out Microsoft for a few things that were shown and said at X05. Now granted, I do believe Microsoft is being the most honest about their console (and its’ capabilities) with regard to the next-gen race, but that doesn’t excuse them from the occasional checking in my book

All in all? Not the best way to make friends on the internet… no. But luckily I’m not longing for brand-zealots to add me to their MySpace pages or sing my praises in some sticky thread on an EasyBoard.

You know what; it’s entirely possible to not give a damn about the label, packaging or company behind a product. It’s entirely possible to like, love and despise unabashedly. It’s entirely possible to have differing opinions, to acknowledge the existence of a counterpoint and to not be a giant douche on the internet when confronted with one.

I know, I know... for some of you these truths are a bitter pill to swallow. Just relax, grab a Dixie cup of water, choke it down, and stfu.

Seacrest out.

link

Acert93 said:
Thanks Brimstone.

So the game progresses from the idea of a persistant world to a persistant *dynamic* world where 1) your actions impact the future of the game and 2) the world is your play thing, use it as you want... and pay/reap the consequences.

If they succeed on this... well, that would be one large and significant step in game design. This is no small order... the AI is going to be intensely hard to do, and for every game asset the user uses the developer is going to need to create 5-10x more to make the world seem "full and varied" and give each gamer a unique experience.

If they succeed I hope the game theme/story is appealing to the mainstream. GTA, even though I dislike the theme (one reason I don't buy them), it seems to get people really excited. If Crackdown succeeds in attaining its vision I hope everyone and their dog gets this game.

I don't know what the consequences of engaging in a big firefight on a busy street are. Obviously a heavy weapon like a rockect launcher would cause serious damage. I assume the idea is not to destroy the city more than needed since you are a trying to rescue the city from the criminals that have taken over. What happens if a civilian gets got in the crossfire?

Also I've read something about being able to target specific locations when firing a gun. I don't know if there is incentive to shoot a gun from a criminals hand and arrest him. This is unclear to me. Same thing with a car you can choose to target the tires instead of blowing up the car and killing those inside.

I read one preview where they were describing co-op play. I think they needed to get into a building, so one player drove a car off the roof an an adjacent building, the 2nd player targetted the gas tank of the car. 1st player jumped out of the car mid-air, as 2nd player shot the gas tank in mid-flight.

Sounds pretty cool.

He may or may not be a fanboi but with this quote:

"If given a choice I’d want my hands on the Revolution controller over, say, Jessica Alba."

He clearly is missing a few gears! ;)

Back