G4 talks about this weeks x05.

NucNavST3 said:
With all do respect, calling Crackdown a GTA knock-off, when the creator of GTA is making the game, seems slightly off.
Just because Rockstar is making the game does not mean it is not a knockoff. Knockoffs are not a bad thing--it just means the idea/genre are established.

Maybe you could explain then how this is different than GTA from a gameplay perspective?

I wouldn't doubt for a moment, hearing the glowing reviews/hope for the game that it might possibly be a system seller for next Xmas
There are no reviews for that game ;) There may be hope (like every unreleased title), but what is the hope based on? Hype from the publisher, gameplay footage, what?

That is what I am asking. You are talking as if the game has been reviewed when to my knowledge no one has actually seen realtime ingame footage/gameplay, let alone played the game itself.

I have only read the small media blurbs... so what did you and Brimstone read that have you excited? I must have missed it... and I want to read/see it! Here you guys are talking about the biggest 2006 title and I have no clue what it is beyond a comic book perpetual world like GTA... I am lost, so help!

NucNavST3 said:
I think your first mistake is thinking you heard something from Rockstar, as opposed to David Jones and Real Time Worlds.
All I have heard is what I have read at media sites like IGN where they noted the creator of the GTA series was making an exclusive game for the Xbox 360; beyond the few details those sources have had about the general direction of the game I know nothing.

So instead of insinuating this or that why not give some real links?

Crackdown isn't Rockstar -- it was David Jones who left Rockstar and started his own thing (Real Time Worlds).

David Jones was supposedly part of the team who made the original GTA games, not sure though. That is probably where the "creator of GTA" stuff comes from.

The only next gen game Rockstar has made mention of is the untitled PS3 western game (most likely Red Dead Revolver 2).

Acert93 said:
All I have heard is what I have read at media sites like IGN where they noted the creator of the GTA series was making an exclusive game for the Xbox 360; beyond the few details those sources have had about the general direction of the game I know nothing.

So instead of insinuating this or that why not give some real links?

hmm, you seem to be under the impression that Rockstar created GTA, this is why I made the comment about David Jones, but if you want links: here
It is from the ORIGINAL creator of GTA, for those that remember on their 286/386s.

My apologies if you took offense to my comment, but as you can see, you should not have heard anything from Rockstar. Publisher: Microsoft Developer: Real Time Worlds

Crackdown is hot from the vids I saw... dunno if they're gameply though.. if they are they are stylistically the best thing seen on 360... graphically i still say nba2k6 and pgr3 are the aces

A mod posted this in my thread at teamxbox...

G4 is NOT biased against xbox,

Enough of this "well they are part investor of this company, so they MUST hate xbox!" crap. It's not true. Period. G4 is NOT biased against xbox, their opinions are just that, opinions, and all of you are overly sensitive to criticism about xbox because for some reason you think an insult against xbox is an insult against you.
:???:

BlueTsunami said:
G4 TV is on the decline.

Suffice it to say, i'm not to surprised with this video. Its the type of stuff you would expect from G4TechTV.

Is on the decline?

G4 is just about dead. I have read that their average show has a viewership of roughly 30,000 people. That is simply pathetic.

I used to thoroughly enjoy Tech TV. I would watch Screen Savers, that tech show Sumi Das hosted (Hip Gear something???) , Call for Help, Extended Play, and their science programming . I liked their on air personalities like Leo Laporte, Kevin Rose, Megan, Kat, etc. Now it is a joke of a channel that resorts to crude immature sex jokes, horrible content, and a bunch of people in their late 20s early 30s trying to be "hip" for the teen-age audience since thats all thats left since any real tech viewers stopped watching long ago.

They are so desparate for viewers they are going to be running The Man-Show re-runs starting Monday. I like the Man-Show, but on a Tech channel? G4 is just about done and I couldn't make me happier. It is all self imposed. Between asshats like Tommy "I couldn't be anymore annoying" Tallarico and Laura "35 year old wannabe Emo gamer big phony" Foy I don't see how anyone watches that dreck anymore.

I will cherish the day G4 is officially dead and it couldn't happen to a more deserving channel. How they treated the backbone of people that made Tech TV and simply brushed them aside was deplorable. Good choices so far eh G4? Its really paid off...

scatteh316 said:
He's just saying what every one think's.

Did you not see the Mass Effect trailer?

IMO easily the best looking in-game graphics BAR NONE so far. If it failed to impress that's nothing more than your own stubborness.

london-boy said:
What's G4?

It's a TV station for Videogames in the USA (I think). I'm from Australia but I know some friends from the US who talk about it. From the sounds of it, "Kevin" seems to be a really big Sony supporter, always against Microsoft in one way or another.

scooby_dooby said:
Did you not see the Mass Effect trailer?

IMO easily the best looking in-game graphics BAR NONE so far. If it failed to impress that's nothing more than your own stubborness.
What, those 4 seconds of "footage"? Personally it didn't impress me, not because it's on X360 or anything, it just showed nothing. Obviously it was the best thing since sliced bread to you. I'm sure a video with 3 seconds of "footage" of any goodlooking PS3 game would have u on here raving about it being (1) not realtime (2) too little to judge. Not that i'm saying you're biased or anything.

scatteh316 said:

Yeah maybe on PS3 message boards.:rolleyes:

Considering they are basically sold out of the first run of X360s I guess your "everyone" theory doesnt hold water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember da rules, baby!! OW!

* Flames/Uncalled for Remarks

If a comment/remark is viewed as a flame by a moderator, the reply will be deleted, and so will be the replies that refer to it.

Note that even the slightest "tongue in cheek" remarks can also be deleted, because of "noise: signal ratio" reasons.

* Trolls and Troll Name Calling

What not to do: One of the worst thing to do, when you consider someone's post to a troll/disturbance to the forum, is to actually reply to this post and start calling out for troll.

Trolls are detrimental because they' add nothing but more noise to the forum. Calling others people posts trolls or "teh biased" will not negate those posts. Actually it will just add more noise to the thread, making it worse and subject to be locked/pruned.

That's why troll name calling is considered just as bad as trolling and treated as much.
Trolling or calling people troll can (and will after a warning) be sanctioned with a temporary ban or a permanent ban.

What to do: Just ignore the trolls, and point them out to the moderators with the Report Bad Post button.

Mefisutoferesu said:
Remember da rules, baby!! OW!
Good advice, even if Mef is calling us babies ;)

Nuc said:
My apologies if you took offense to my comment, but as you can see, you should not have heard anything from Rockstar. Publisher: Microsoft Developer: Real Time Worlds
You are right. I was associating the creator of GTA with Rockstar since Rockstar publishes GTA. My bad :oops: As someone who does not actually like the series I guess I assumed, wrongly, that the GTA creator was still with them. Doh!

Btw, I am not saying anything negative about the game, I am just inquiring more into it since you guys seem to be pretty excited about it. I went back and read the IGN stuff and their first note was about some footage that may be gameplayish but it was not said to be gameplay... their later eyes on had a bit more detail on where the game is going. Kind of you are a cop, with super powers, the level loads once and streams from there. Large huge world, 21 kingpens with independant industries, you take one down the others fill in the void and take over his industry, can use a lot of different weapons, etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
london-boy said:
What, those 4 seconds of "footage"? Personally it didn't impress me, not because it's on X360 or anything, it just showed nothing. Obviously it was the best thing since sliced bread to you. I'm sure a video with 3 seconds of "footage" of any goodlooking PS3 game would have u on here raving about it being (1) not realtime (2) too little to judge. Not that i'm saying you're biased or anything.

Who really cares how long the footage was? The fact it was in game and looked near CG quality was not impressive?

And before you start making completely unfounded accusations maybe take a look in the MGS4 thread while I called it "amazing" I'm not biased like you think, and always give credit where it's due, realize that before you mis-interpret my position like always.

IMO the character in Mass Effect is the best in-game graphics that has been released so far, the characters face, the way the expression changes, I haven't seen anything that good yet.

That's just my opinion, I can understand not everyone will agree, but how anyone can say that in-game graphics of that calibre are NOT "impressive" is completely beyond me. It's the equivalent of saying MGS4 or GOW is not impressive, it's complete nonsense.

Seriously, what game are you playing currently that make this unimpressive? I'd really like to know.

Acert93 said:
You are right. I was associating the creator of GTA with Rockstar since Rockstar publishes GTA. My bad :oops: As someone who does not actually like the series I guess I assumed, wrongly, that the GTA creator was still with them. Doh!

I think you still got it confused. Rockstar does make the GTA games, its just that the first GTA (GTA1/2 on PC) were not necessarily made by the current Rockstar -- DMA designs did (which then became into Rockstar/Rockstar North) and David Jones was around when DMA designs was. Rockstar that we know today is responsible for the more popular GTA games.

The claim of the "creator of GTA" thing is more marketing than anything it is (so people will look at his game -- same thing Hellgate team has done with Blizzard).

Regardless the game could turn out rather entertaining.

I loved the original GTA, and couldn't stand the rest, I don't think it was anything personal against Rockstar, its just me and FPS, I can play sci-fi based FPS like Halo, but something like Black Hawk Down, hits way way too close to home. Maybe, a touch of post-traumatic stress...
Somehow, I see Crackdown as more of a cartoonish/superheroish FPS that maybe I can get into. Actually, I think its just the Co-op scene that got me excited (picking up a car, carrying it to the top of a building, driving off the top of said building, jumping out of car just before my buddy blows it to pieces); that is so over-the-top I KNOW it couldn't possibly trigger any latent bad/real-world memories.

scatteh316 said:
I recorded two X05 shows on the Tivo hoping to catch some Dead Rising goodness (the only game shown for next gen so far for either console that really makes me want to buy a system) and honestly if anyone could sit through that without hitting the 30-second skip button constantly to find the video footage then I'm absolutely amazed.

They did seem down on the 360 but whether that's because they're biased or just think the PS3 is better I don't watch it enough (at all really, since this was the first time I'd seen it) to know and from what I saw it's not worth finding out.

I know it's a bit slow right now, nothing from Sony or Nintendo really, but this type of thread is dragging down the board. Think twice before giving in to your advocate tendencies and posting this type of crap here.

Back