Future of MS Exclusives? (Win10 & Xbox One...things)

... (McDonalds was once sued because coffee is hot, nothing surprises me anymore)....

The actual details of that case are far more nuanced and very interesting.

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

Basically, McDonalds intentionally served their coffee at a temperature that could cause full thickness burns to human skin, and that would also burn the throat and mouth. The styrofoam containers kept them at unsafe temperatures, and made spillage easy. Despite several hundred reports of burns they decided not to lower temperatures as other coffee vendors did (and, indeed, do).

The lady who successfully sued did so after receiving third degree burns (!!!) to her legs (6% of her body). Good on her quite frankly. Handing canisters of flesh destruction to old people in cars isn't a freedom we should celebrate by firing our guns in to the air and then clapping afterwards.

Yeah like ps4 exclusive that also come to pc.

Not really.

There are two main types of exclusives.
Windows PC Exclusives - Games that only available on Windows PC
Console exclusives - Games only available for consoles (more than one)
And we can mix these two.

So on console exclusives we may have
Platform Exclusives - Only available on consoles from a brand: "Only in Xbox" slogan by Microsoft, and "Only on Playstation Slogan" by Sony

freedvdcover_forza_horizon_2.jpg

Forza Horizon 2 - Xbox One and Xbox 360

Real exclusives (or timed exclusives) - Games that can only be played (even if only for a time) on a specific console: "Only on XBox One" slogan used by Microsoft and "Only on Playstation" Slogan use by Sony (Sony makes no diference between this and the previous case)

forza-6.jpg

uc4_cover.jpg

Platform console exclusives - Available on one console, and also on PC: As far as I know Microsoft doesn't use any kind of slogan for this, "PS4 console exclusive" is used by Sony

Aa9vq3P.jpg

This is quite clear... As required by law!

But on Quantum Break (and Recore), Microsoft used the slogan "Only on Xbox One". And we all know the game was to be an Xbox exclusive (Only on Xbox One slogan), not an XBox Console Exclusive (no slogan).
So Microsoft used the correct quotes. But wanting or not, the change from Exclusive to Console Exclusive two months before the game release, after spreading a cover like that through the media is, in my opinion, deceptive advertising.

"False advertising or deceptive advertising is the use of false or misleading statements in advertising, and misrepresentation of the product at hand, which may negatively affect many stakeholders, especially consumers. As advertising has the potential to persuade people into commercial transactions that they might otherwise avoid, many governments around the world use regulations to control false, deceptive or misleading advertising. Truth refers to essentially the same concept, that customers have the right to know what they are buying, and that all necessary information should be on the label."

For the sake of discussion I called a friend lawyer and talked about this. Although neither I or him would ever go for this kind of action, because proving that a console was bought because of this is really, really hard, he also believes someone, specially those crazy american lawyers offices, might have a go at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Microsoft is a software company that owns the most widely used gaming OS in the world, Windows. Previously they've made little to no money off of it. We'll see if they're able to attract more games to the Windows store. There's definitely a huge market available for games like Quantum Break and Forza on the PC, so at least Microsoft published games may have a bigger revenue overall, even if they somewhat cannibalize the console sales.
And that is only the games side of it. The bigger issue is Windows in homes at all. Why would the average person use a Windows machine, and not a Chromebook, an iPad or a Mac? Historically using the same productivity apps at home as at work, (legal copies or not) was a safe justification for Microsoft. But that is eroding. And the erosion of the home market has been accellerated by Microsoft themselves pushing developers and publishers towards making games for consoles instead, where MS never has enjoyed greater than a third of the market. To add insult to injury, they harm the position of their cash cow OS by investing in a market that is shrinking. It makes no sense. By releasing their own game products for PC, they at least don't actively entice Windows customers away from the platform, and it may even help drive upgrades and sales.
This is the console forum, but if you look at the situation from the perspective of Windows or Microsoft as a whole, strengthening Windows definitely has priority over strengthening the position of the XBox over Windows, which pretty much makes no sense at all.

but sony using Only on PS for two different thing is allowed?

tales of zestiria is PS4 and PC exclusive but did not have that SFV label.

That image has no label at all.

I´m not even shure all games follow these rules, but if not... they should. Only like this things are totally clear to the buyer.

The actual details of that case are far more nuanced and very interesting.

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

Basically, McDonalds intentionally served their coffee at a temperature that could cause full thickness burns to human skin, and that would also burn the throat and mouth. The styrofoam containers kept them at unsafe temperatures, and made spillage easy. Despite several hundred reports of burns they decided not to lower temperatures as other coffee vendors did (and, indeed, do).

The lady who successfully sued did so after receiving third degree burns (!!!) to her legs (6% of her body). Good on her quite frankly. Handing canisters of flesh destruction to old people in cars isn't a freedom we should celebrate by firing our guns in to the air and then clapping afterwards.
Wow, I didn't know that. Moral of the story, I shouldn't judge a complex legal case based on a single twitter post. :nope:

Can we not let this thread devolve further into fanboy drivel?

Also, this thread is talking about the Future, not the historical past.

But on Quantum Break (and Recore), Microsoft used the slogan "Only on Xbox One". And we all know the game was to be an Xbox exclusive (Only on Xbox One slogan), not an XBox Console Exclusive (no slogan).
So Microsoft used the correct quotes. But wanting or not, the change from Exclusive to Console Exclusive two months before the game release, after spreading a cover like that through the media is, in my opinion, deceptive advertising.

"False advertising or deceptive advertising is the use of false or misleading statements in advertising, and misrepresentation of the product at hand, which may negatively affect many stakeholders, especially consumers. As advertising has the potential to persuade people into commercial transactions that they might otherwise avoid, many governments around the world use regulations to control false, deceptive or misleading advertising. Truth refers to essentially the same concept, that customers have the right to know what they are buying, and that all necessary information should be on the label."

For the sake of discussion I called a friend lawyer and talked about this. Although neither I or him would ever go for this kind of action, because proving that a console was bought because of this is really, really hard, he also believes someone, specially those crazy american lawyers offices, might have a go at it.

And again that is all wishful fanboy thinking. Ignoring EVERYTHING that Microsoft has said about it for the past 2 years.

Microsoft have repeatedly been asked if Quantum Break was going to "only" appear on the Xbox One and whether there will be a PC release. They have always said they are focused on the development of the Xbox One version and have nothing to say about a possible PC version.

They have never, even once, said that Quantum Break wasn't coming to PC. Hell, Phil Spencer has at multiple times hinted that there was a possible PC version in the works...last year!

Basically Microsoft has done everything they could do to confirm a PC version is coming out without saying there's a PC version coming out or actively talking about a PC version for well over a year now. But certain people on the internet didn't want to hear that messaging so just ignored it. And now suddenly act surprised that Microsoft has officially confirmed a PC version is coming out.

Even without that if people just used their brains they would have figured it out.

1. Microsoft constantly re-iterating their commitment to PC.
2. Microsoft promoting cross-buy and cross-play between XBO and PC.
3. Microsoft is publishing Quantum Break, refer to above 2 points.
4. Remedy has always offered a PC version of their games.

So far the only titles that are remaining platform exclusive and not console exclusive that I can see are those that are heavily associated with the Xbox brand like Halo and Forza. And who knows how long that will last?

It's a win for Microsoft. It's win for gamers. And it's a win for publishers that are contracted for 2nd party exclusives. Hopefully Sony eventually does the same. I'm sure From Software would have loved extra sales for Bloodborne from a possible PC version.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
They have never, even once, said that Quantum Break wasn't coming to PC. Hell, Phil Spencer has at multiple times hinted that there was a
Everything you say is true but what I don't get is what Microsoft feel they've gained by adopting this approach to communications. Like the way they communicated the Rise of the Tomb Raider timed exclusivity, it wasn't clear at first and does seem to alienate some of the people who own their products.

Personally I'm happy that QB is coming to Windows as I'll get to play it at home.

Everything you say is true but what I don't get is what Microsoft feel they've gained by adopting this approach to communications. Like the way they communicated the Rise of the Tomb Raider timed exclusivity, it wasn't clear at first and does seem to alienate some of the people who own their products.

Personally I'm happy that QB is coming to Windows as I'll get to play it at home.

I'm sure MS's plans have been in flux , they were hoping minecraft would draw people in but its clear that they need constant high quality titles to keep people going back to the store. The app store is leagues better than it was on windows 8 but it still needs to get better

Ms needs more titles like these:

Just saw it being played live, drew large crowds. Games like this don't need to be graphically intensive but puts emphasis on skill sets. This combined with VR may actually make for a full on training regime where you are looking across the whole court for instance.

Then again, most living rooms can't support a bouncing basketball. But eh :)

MS likes to think they can have their cake and eat it, too. They can't, but no matter how many backlashes they don't seem to learn that particular lesson.

In the past I have disliked the idea of all Xbox exclusives releasing day and date on PC. I still don't think it's the greatest Idea especially for titles like Halo, Gears and Forza. Quantum Break is different in my opinion because Remedy has a history of releasing their Xbox titles on PC.

People really shouldn't be shocked by this news. If gears and Forza release day and date on PC I won't like it, but honestly it doesn't affect my experience with the Xbox one at all. I don't have a gaming PC.
I have 2 laptops with Intel CPUs and a desktop with an AMD APU I use for music engineering.

I'm not going to invest in the necessary upgrades that will allow me to even attempt playing titles close or above the level I can play on my Xbox One.

I don't see this new strategy being related to selling Windows 10. I see it as a chance to sell more copies of the titles and change peoples opinion of windows 10 gaming. As for people choosing Chrome books and Mac books over laptops with Win 10. I don't see how that even relates to PC gaming. If you a purchasing a computer to play cutting edge games your not going to choose a Chromebook or a Macbook. Sure Chromebooks are cheap but they don't game well. Mac books are very price and still don't game very well.

Yep. Mac and Chrome are shit for gaming. No one makes games for them. Pretty much every PC game is Windows-based. Having a bunch of nice Windows 10 exclusive games will maybe help adoption of Windows 10 and get people onto Xbox Live on the PC. May also be a nice negotiating tactic for Microsoft. If they sit down with a company to arrange an exclusive, they can pitch it as an Xbox/Microsoft Store exclusive. Develop for Xbox as well as PC, and get the same developer support and Xbox Live eco-system for Windows 10. Big user base when you combine the two.

I doubt Microsoft Store has a significant presence.

That's kind of the point ... The Xbox App and the Microsoft Store exist on every single copy of Windows 10. All it needs is content. That's why they're putting their own published games in there. I'm sure the intent is to put as many exclusives as they can in there. From that store they have access to every single Windows 10 user, and 99.9% of PC gamers will be upgrading because of dx12.

I game on a Mac running Windows. Games don't target hardware, they target an OS.

I read that as he meant Mac OS and Chrome OS are shit for gaming. Not the hardware.

I read that as he meant Mac OS and Chrome OS are shit for gaming. Not the hardware.
Native support is still nowhere near Windows but it's never been easier to run Windows games in OSX using tuned WINE wrappers. Windows games without even paying for Windows. We're living the dream!!!

I do have Windows 7 installed under Bootcamp on two Macs though.

Native support is still nowhere near Windows but it's never been easier to run Windows games in OSX using tuned WINE wrappers. Windows games without even paying for Windows. We're living the dream!!!

I do have Windows 7 installed under Bootcamp on two Macs though.
Weren't you considering getting an Xbox One? I guess the question now is, if all Xbox exclusives go to PC (and you have a PC at a higher spec than Xbox) will you now buy an Xbox One?

I can only imagine the answer would be "no". I think that's why some Xboxers are feeling upset, because they're being marginalised.

Personally, I can only see it as a positive, as I'd sooner buy a gaming PC than an Xbox One.

Back