Funny language inconsistencies...

Guden Oden

Legend
When you tar a roof, you put tar on it. But when you pave a road, you don't put pave on it.

The stuff covering the road's called pavement, but the stuff covering the roof isn't called tarment (in fact, I think that would've been illegal... ;))

Weird, huh?! :D

Guden Oden said:
When you tar a roof, you put tar on it. But when you pave a road, you don't put pave on it.

The stuff covering the road's called pavement, but the stuff covering the roof isn't called tarment (in fact, I think that would've been illegal... ;))

:?:

need coffee? ;)

The most common usage of the word is for sidewalks AFAIK. But I'll have to say you're prolly pretty bored...

How about hair? Notice how when you get your hair cut, they never just cut one hair, yet many times they cut hairs, all in order to get your hair cut.

To cover both butt cheeks. That's why you don't use "pair" when refering to thongs. I'm not sure about bras but in portuguese they are considered underwear and not refered to as "pairs" even though they support a pair of breasts.

Guden Oden said:

When you put tar on a roof you tar it, when you put pavers down to make a road or pathway you pave it.

In this instance, pave is the verb of the word (noun) paver/s, whereas tar is the verb and the noun, so if we changed your original sentence using what I have said it would go "When you tar on a roof, you put tar on it. But when you pave a road, you put pavers on it"

Actually what they put down on roads is called "hot asphaltic concrete" and not "pavement". (Yup, I worked for a paving company too. :rolleyes: )

* If you take an oriental man and spin him around several times, does he become disoriented?
* If people from Poland are called Poles, why aren't people from Holland called Holes?
* Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?
* Why is a person who plays the piano called a pianist but a person who drives a race car not called a racist?
* Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites?
* Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things?
* Why isn't 11 pronounced "onety one"?
* "I am" is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that "I do" is the longest?
* If lawyers are disbarred and clergymen defrocked, doesn't it follow that electricians can be delighted, musicians denoted, cowboys deranged, models deposed, tree surgeons debarked, and dry cleaners depressed?
* If Fed Ex and UPS were to merge, would they call it Fed UP?
* If olive oil comes from olives, where does babyoil come from?

Humus said:
* If people from Poland are called Poles, why aren't people from Holland called Holes?
I can answer that one; because poles/polocks are generally thought less of than most other european nationalities. Not that this really has anything to do with the topic I started, but what the hey... ;)

Humus said:
* If you take an oriental man and spin him around several times, does he become disoriented?
* Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?
* Why is a person who plays the piano called a pianist but a person who drives a race car not called a racist?
* Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites?
* Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things?
* Why isn't 11 pronounced "onety one"?
* "I am" is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that "I do" is the longest?
* If lawyers are disbarred and clergymen defrocked, doesn't it follow that electricians can be delighted, musicians denoted, cowboys deranged, models deposed, tree surgeons debarked, and dry cleaners depressed?
* If Fed Ex and UPS were to merge, would they call it Fed UP?
* If olive oil comes from olives, where does babyoil come from?
George Carlin ?

thehulk said:
George Carlin ?

I don't know the source of those things. I just had them in a text file on my HD. Think I got it from someone's post on Rage3D originally.

Wise Words from George Carlin Shit is a powerful word.
Just think of all the concepts and ideas you can communicate with it. Shit may just be the most powerful word in the English language.
CONSIDER THIS:
You can be shit faced, be shit out of luck, or have shit for brains.
With a little effort you can get your shit together, find a place for your shit or decide to shit or get off the pot.
You can smoke shit, buy shit, sell shit, lose shit, find shit, forget shit, and tell others to eat shit and die.
You can shit or go blind, have a shit fit or just shit your life away.
People can be shit headed, shit brained, shit blinded, and shit over.
Some people know their shit while others can't tell the difference between shit and shineola.
There are lucky shits, dumb shits, crazy shits, and sweet shits.
There is bull shit, and horse shit and chicken shit.
You can throw shit, sling shit, catch shit, or duck when the shit hits the fan.
You can take a shit, give a shit, or serve shit on a shingle.
You can find yourself in deep shit, or be happier than a pig in shit.
Some days are colder than shit, some days are hotter than shit, and some days are just plain shitty.
Some music sounds like shit, things can look like shit, and there are times when you feel like shit.
You can have too much shit, not enough shit, the right shit, the wrong shit or a lot of weird shit.
You can carry shit, have a mountain of shit, or find yourself up shit creek without a paddle.
Sometimes you really need this shit and sometimes you don't want any shit at all.
Sometimes everything you touch turns to shit and other times you swim in a lake of shit and come out smelling like a rose.
Shit! When you stop to consider all the facts, it's the basic building block of creation.
And remember....once you know your shit, you don't need to know anything else.

i luv Carlin man.... he is the shit

digitalwanderer said:
Actually what they put down on roads is called "hot asphaltic concrete" and not "pavement". (Yup, I worked for a paving company too. :rolleyes: )

Then why oh why is the industry trade rag called "Flexible Pavements"..huh!!!??? ;)

Back