Fuad of The Inq, trying to explain NV40 ... AGAIN

to quote myself from nVnews

[speculation]nV releases the nV40 first.
if nV40> 3 quad R420 then ATi releases the 4 quad version as the pro and the 3 quad as the np.
if nV40</= 3quad R420 then ATi release it as the pro and a 2quad version as the np[/speculation]

In either case clock speeds can still be tweaked to set performance goals in relation to the competitors card.

plus in the second case they would then have a revision for when nV releases the nV45 PCIE card

MuFu said:
~whether the 8 "EXTREME" pipelines information actually has some basis in terms of architectural traits. Perhaps there is an 8 pixel/clk, FP32 mode?

MuFu.

Oooooh, I like that! 8)

Thanks for the info Headstone, I haven't been to nVnews much since they made the switch to VB3....it just feels wrong somehow now! (I take a while to adjust to change, I'm old. ;) )

NV40 was not skipped, there is no A02 core; yet A01 is alive alright. Is NV45 skipped ? Not at all ...

I've personally seen it, I've played a game, saw new technology demo's on it and I can say it rocks for sure. The last couple of days days people started to shout basically anything to get a bit more attention and spread well let's say it a bit more bluntly: BS, seek in the news from last week, that's all I'm gonna say about it ::end hint:: Ah okay, one more .. also seek up a rumor on encoding certain stuff.

What can you expect from NV40, oh it's fast alright ! When can you expect the NV40 introduction ? How does three weeks from now sound ? It's close, it's in mass-production and you can likely buy it in May already despite some reports I've seen on other sites. From what I heard from nVIDIA and some of their partners I don't expect a delayed product release.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/article/125/3/

Evildeus said:
.. also seek up a rumor on encoding certain stuff.

Hmm. Well ATI has a compressed output buffer, hence benefits from clearing both depth and colour every frame. Nvidia's current gen cards benefit from just clearing depth (if you're going to render over the full screen anyway). So perhaps NV4x has lossles output buffer compression. But that's nor 'encoding'...

so

Spherical Harmonics ?

Evildeus said:
I would say that Guru3d disagrees with you HB :LOL:
I guess well see then.. a?

Especially since Guru3d has always and still is a group of raving Nvidia Fanboys. It must be a great relief to them to have another "nv30" on their hands to push off on everyone as the second comming of a Video card. Has anyone already forgot some of the silly things they tried to push off with the Nv30 even when everyone else new the cat was out of the bag?

I personally Think the Nv40 is going to be very fast, and have greatly improved IQ. However it is what it is, and it ain't what it ain't.

Hellbinder said:
Dig...

Seek the posts from long ago. those were the real deal.

I think you know what i am refering to.

Gotcha, I think I know exactly what you're referring to. Thank you. 8)

BTW-Do you know if ATi has finalized their launch plans, or are they still leaving themselves some flexibility to see what the nV40 really looks like? (That's as general as I can get...I tried. ;) )

pocketmoon_ said:
Evildeus said:
.. also seek up a rumor on encoding certain stuff.

Hmm. Well ATI has a compressed output buffer, hence benefits from clearing both depth and colour every frame. Nvidia's current gen cards benefit from just clearing depth (if you're going to render over the full screen anyway). So perhaps NV4x has lossles output buffer compression. But that's nor 'encoding'...

so

Spherical Harmonics ?

It's a reference to h/w-assisted MPEG encoding.

MuFu.

Ailuros said:
I know you weren't sarcastic, but then again there's nothing wrong from what I can see in that sentence either, as long as "brilinear" could be seen in driver revisions on FXs even w/o AF enabled.

I'm not sure if what you meant to say was "as long as "brilinear" could not be seen in driver revisions on FXs even w/o AF enabled." I thought it was well established how you are supposed to do trilinear filtering :?:

And yes, NVIDIA does brilinear even when AF is not enabled.

I took your comment on advanced texture filtering to be referring to AF, and the different IHVs different implementations of it.

The Baron said:
Trilinear TMUs are certainly not standard. That's why trilinear has a performance hit compared to bilinear on, hmm... all cards since GF256.

Will it have trilinear TMUs? As good a theory as any, but it still doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

IMHO it makes perfectly sense technically when you have core and ram running at isochronous clockspeeds. And yes it is just a theory that belongs to the possible sollutions realm and nothing else.

If anything I'm not too fond of becoming some sort of oracle munching leaves.... :oops:

Ailuros said:
The Baron said:
Trilinear TMUs are certainly not standard. That's why trilinear has a performance hit compared to bilinear on, hmm... all cards since GF256.

Will it have trilinear TMUs? As good a theory as any, but it still doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

IMHO it makes perfectly sense technically when you have core and ram running at isochronous clockspeeds. And yes it is just a theory that belongs to the possible sollutions realm and nothing else.

If anything I'm not too fond of becoming some sort of oracle munching leaves.... :oops:
O Leaf Munching Oracle, when will Series 5 come out in AGP or PEG form? :)

The Baron said:
Well, the performance hit was also extremely tiny on the GeForce2, due to severe memory bandwidth limitations.

Back