Fuad of The Inq, trying to explain NV40 ... AGAIN

incurable

Regular
Fuad said:
We understand that the NV40 will actually only have eight physical pipelines, but these will appear act like 16 in certain games and, indeed, in 3DMark 2001 Nvidia was telling people how 3DMark01 is a very nice benchmark since they can render 16 textures per pass in it, using only eight pipelines. What Nvidia is using is the ability of the Vertex Shader model 3.0 (known as PS 3.0 or VS 3.0) where the Shader can actually render textures as a virtual pipeline but can only render them without filtering information.
Link: Nvidia's NV40 mimics a 16x1-pipeline architecture with just eight pipelines

Essentially, nVidia is now abusing a 3-years-old fillrate benchmark? :? :oops: :?

incurable, incredibly confused.

"However, we expect NV40 to deliver 16x1-like performance in Doom 3 (or should we say 16x0, which is how people call Nvidia's approach) where they render all the information except Z or colour features. This will be used by Doom III and games based on this engine."

Except z OR colour...? That should be blazing fast indeed! :LOL:

cheez
will he make up his mind FFS ?
What about all the ppl here saying it's 16x1 definetely ? There was also some pretty strong speculation about abusing VS untis to go 16x1 by Uttar if i remember correctly...but then he said it's 16x1 for sure.

:? :?

All I know is if this is true the NV40 is gonna be dead in the water compared to the R420.

And don't tell me to explain myself. From all i've seen and read that's my own personal opinion.

US

Fuad is a moron, and unfortunately it gets amplified through his lack of english skills..

I dont think he understands it well enough to explain it in his native language.

The problem is that it implies that the NV40 has 8 VS units, which is, frankly, bullshit.

No NV3x card ever had more than 3. So, I'm going to say either 4 or 6. Hell, maybe even three.

This is going to be all kinds of not funny if it turns out to be true.

Fuad does say he actually met with nVidia here, but wouldn't have been told anything without signing an NDA. Seems he got this information from listening in on other conversations? You'd imagine they'd be telling their NDA partners this stuff in private, surely?

Again, if this is true, a lot of people have been misinformed and 32x0 was plain made up. Hmm.

The Baron said:
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10163

We thought of this before.

You know what? NOBODY KNOWS WHAT IS GOING ON.

The end.

ROFLMAO~~~~

Yeah, I just posted this over in the "Graphic Boards" forum since I hadn't seen this thread yet! ;)

8*2/16*0 is the approach I'd expect given they have shown no signs of acknowledging the known weaknesses of the nv3x design.
Why would they suddenly have gone 'ohh ohh, I know, lets do a 16*1'?
No way, not gonna happen.
Might as well expect ATI to come out with a 4 pipe r420...

NV40 is 16x1/32x0.
Unless NVIDIA never really taped-out anything, and they plan on making tons of money on pre-orders then changing their company name.

Uttar

The Baron said:
No NV3x card ever had more than 3. So, I'm going to say either 4 or 6. Hell, maybe even three.
Do we really know how many VS units NV3x has? I tought they used array of units (not separate VS). Could someone confirm that?

arrrse said:
8*2/16*0 is the approach I'd expect given they have shown no signs of acknowledging the known weaknesses of the nv3x design.
Why would they suddenly have gone 'ohh ohh, I know, lets do a 16*1'?
No way, not gonna happen.
Might as well expect ATI to come out with a 4 pipe r420...

How about one huge pipe? Instead of having 16 pipes this big:

____________________________________________________________________________________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________

They can have only one this big:

______________________________________________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

What u think? ;)

Back