Forza 5 [XO] *large pics inside*

I purchased the LaFerrari car pack and I placed 999 :smile2: of the world at Spa in the Rivals mode.

Eurogamer drives the 2013 Lotus E21 Formula 1 car, the most expensive car in the game. I have it in my garage for free, he he.

Despite the fact that this isn't a F1 game per se, their cockpit camera is so good that Turn 10 makes driving the Formula 1 car a better experience.

Codemasters should use a similar camera for their F1 series, because most people play using the "over the head" camera, their dashboard camera is almost unplayable for me. :???:

Nice driving on their part. I would love to see them playing with TCS off. You have to be very careful when accelerating when TCS is off. Thanks to the feedback of the triggers for me it is easier now to control how much I accelerate, helped me immensely in the LaFerrari rivals challenge.

Bonus video. The Stig driving the super exclusive Ferrari FXX (I wonder if it is in the game):

Hmmm too much bloom and less detail in the real life version?

:p

Shhhhhhhhh! If they see this, then Forza 6 will come with Andromeda in place of Sol.

(I know it is a galaxy, but the other star names all sound so scientific.) ;)

Edit: At Cyan, the F1 car has uncanny grip, I find myself using braking points from other F1 games in the past. Yet in Forza you can go 100' further before you have to brake, and if you touch the brakes too much you almost stop.

*Disclaimer - it is fun to drive, but reality is not with this car.

I think the grip is not unrealistic, because of the extreme downforce these cars apply.

In fact F1 drivers must be in shape in order to drive these cars, and they usually have very strong necks, because their necks have to deal with lateral and vertical forces which are several times more intense than for "normal people".

Just recently, early this month, Frenando Alonso had to be hospitalised after a race in Abu Dhabi -the previous race to the one in Austin, Texas- because he overtook another driver at a very high speed -he was taking a corner at 150mph (241 Km / h ), just imagine...-. :smile2: At some point the car exceeded 25G....

http://jalopnik.com/fernando-alonso-released-from-hospital-after-scary-cras-1457776020

Ferrari Formula One driver Fernando Alonso was released from the hospital shortly after being admitted after hopping some curbs involving Jean-Eric Vergne at today's Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. Alonso says he's got a stiff neck, so he may avoid crushing walnuts with it for awhile.P

Alonso was asked to go to the hospital by the stewards, who received an alarm after his car decelerated with the force of 28 times the pull of gravity when he hopped some curbs trying to avoid hitting Vergne, and in so doing he triggered the alert when his car exceeded 18G vertically, according to the BBC.
I agree though that the driving model is not fully realistic, mainly because of this.... (Codemasters talking about the next generation version of their F1 franchise and what Formula 1 teams use to simulate the cars on a regular basis).

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/f1_2013/news/60fps_confirmed_for_next-gen_f1_2014.html

The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of future F1 titles will run at 60 frames per second and boast improved physics over the current-gen versions, Codemasters has revealed.

Speaking to Sportra, Codemasters communications manager Andy Gray said that the developer had "hit the peak of where we can go with the current-gen stuff, not only in terms of visuals but obviously physics and everything.

"Having more power, as you say, enables us to do a lot more. Automatically the skip up to 60 frames per second, for example, on next-gen will enable the handling to move on leaps and bounds, because the more frames you have, the more the contact points there are essentially."

The leap to PS4 & Xbox One will also let Codemasters "improve the physics, too", Gray adds.

"We're talking to a couple of teams about sharing their kind of physics data, in terms of the way the car actually handles in their simulators, and we can more or less port that over to consoles, which wouldn't be possible with current-gen.

"Next-gen it becomes more possible, not to the extent that the F1 guys do because they have individual, massive gaming PCs for each tyre, one [PC] for just the air, the way the wind flow works. They have like, 10 PCs per simulator whereas we have one console. But, the more power we have the more we can simulate what it is actually like."

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the grip is not unrealistic, because of the extreme downforce these cars apply.

In fact F1 drivers must be in shape in order to drive these cars, and they usually have very strong necks, because their necks have to deal with lateral and vertical forces which are several times more intense than for "normal people".

Just recently, early this month, Frenando Alonso had to be hospitalised after a race in Abu Dhabi -the previous race to the one in Austin, Texas- because he overtook another driver at a very high speed -he was taking a corner at 150mph (241 Km / h ), just imagine...-. :smile2: At some point the car exceeded 25G....

http://jalopnik.com/fernando-alonso-released-from-hospital-after-scary-cras-1457776020

I agree though that the driving model is not fully realistic, mainly because of this.... (Codemasters talking about the next generation version of their F1 franchise and what Formula 1 teams use to simulate the cars on a regular basis).

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/f1_2013/news/60fps_confirmed_for_next-gen_f1_2014.html

He went over the kerb at pit exit that caused the 25g spike (never did crash, he just moved over to avoid a Torro Rosso), but 2.5g lateral with upwards of 5g in braking is normal for modern F1 car, a bit more when you look at the 2004 cars before the FIA started to take away grip again. I have raced shifter karts that make you feel like warp speed from Star Trek, and the corner grip on those can exceed 2g. I am thinking about a new kart engine for next season that is rated for 137mph, sounds so tempting! I have only done 98mph in my kart (130mph on my old sponsors way back), and that was at Texas World Speedway on the sports car layout. At the track I race at now, we can hit 70+mph on a 500' straight, it is a great track with 2-story elevation change. I have been the president of that club for the last three years, and oversaw our latest expansion. Great fun if you ever get to try it. I recently went off the track on a 60mph corner and hit the tire barriers, thank goodness they move.

If you look at the Spa brake markers, usually going into Les Combes an F1 car will brake around the 150 meter mark. In the game you can brake around the 75/50 meter mark and come to a stop before the apex. Not complaining, just don't think they optimized the game for F1. That is fine because some of the other class cars feel great and match much closer to reality! This is the area in which Forza normally shines anyway. Plenty of videos out there showing this even.

Edit: The small wiggle oversteer issues aside, the thing that bugs me the most with next-gen so far, is the horrible car sounds. Some of these cars thump in real-life, I want to feel that at home as well. It really does not sound next-gen yet to me, so I think that is going to be my biggest complaint about Forza 5 (and Rivals). Seriously Turn 10, please play any SimBin game from the last 10-years and match some of that audio.

He went over the kerb at pit exit that caused the 25g spike (never did crash, he just moved over to avoid a Torro Rosso), but 2.5g lateral with upwards of 5g in braking is normal for modern F1 car, a bit more when you look at the 2004 cars before the FIA started to take away grip again. I have raced shifter karts that make you feel like warp speed from Star Trek, and the corner grip on those can exceed 2g. I am thinking about a new kart engine for next season that is rated for 137mph, sounds so tempting! I have only done 98mph in my kart (130mph on my old sponsors way back), and that was at Texas World Speedway on the sports car layout. At the track I race at now, we can hit 70+mph on a 500' straight, it is a great track with 2-story elevation change. I have been the president of that club for the last three years, and oversaw our latest expansion. Great fun if you ever get to try it. I recently went off the track on a 60mph corner and hit the tire barriers, thank goodness they move.

If you look at the Spa brake markers, usually going into Les Combes an F1 car will brake around the 150 meter mark. In the game you can brake around the 75/50 meter mark and come to a stop before the apex. Not complaining, just don't think they optimized the game for F1. That is fine because some of the other class cars feel great and match much closer to reality! This is the area in which Forza normally shines anyway. Plenty of videos out there showing this even.

Edit: The small wiggle oversteer issues aside, the thing that bugs me the most with next-gen so far, is the horrible car sounds. Some of these cars thump in real-life, I want to feel that at home as well. It really does not sound next-gen yet to me, so I think that is going to be my biggest complaint about Forza 5 (and Rivals). Seriously Turn 10, please play any SimBin game from the last 10-years and match some of that audio.
Fair enough. You remind me of "someone" who is a massive fan of the F1, and he knows the name of every bend in the classic tracks, and talks about what is the best gear to take a given corner and stuff like that.

Gamestop review of Forza Motorsport 5:

Based on the review, I forgot to mention before how much the Career has improved. Now you can actually choose where to participate at any given time instead of being presented with 3 options to select a career event.

Now you can go to a Prototype career event, then to a muscle car event, select the track, etc etc.

That's a very significant improvement.

I played on the Indy oval last night for over 100-laps, figured some things out with controller deadzone and keep it off simulation steering (use normal for a controller). Seems that when on simulation it really like to cause the tail slapping, but on normal settings it is great. I just went to full on hard difficulty and never looked there again.

I wish setup was under the race menu like FM1, I hate backing out every few laps to make a setup change.

Our kart track is 1/2 mile and in some classes you cover that in 36-seconds, they are so insane. ;)

I played on the Indy oval last night for over 100-laps, figured some things out with controller deadzone and keep it off simulation steering (use normal for a controller). Seems that when on simulation it really like to cause the tail slapping, but on normal settings it is great. I just went to full on hard difficulty and never looked there again.

I wish setup was under the race menu like FM1, I hate backing out every few laps to make a setup change.

Our kart track is 1/2 mile and in some classes you cover that in 36-seconds, they are so insane. ;)
100 laps? How did you manage that? I think you really had to make up for the sleep you missed. Speaking of which, I should be getting to bed now. I will be brief.

I haven't attempted something like that, although it can be doable, but I've been playing the game today after completing Ryse yesterday and I am 339 in the world at the Top Gear track with the Formula 1 car 2013 E21.

There are several reasons for that. The console is still "so very young" and the Forza community is still fragmented between generations. In Forza 4 my best place in the leaderboard was 2500 in the world. I was like 8000-20000 overall, depending on the track.

The biggest difference for me is that I am just level 14 or so, haven't played the game much and I am always using the cockpit camera and nothing else. It all came naturally to me for some reason.

In this Eurogamer interview which has been published today, Dan Greenawalt talks about how they remade all the tracks, and at some point the interviewer asks him about realism, :smile2: and Dan Greenawalt's response is pretty cool.

I can't find the view of the server room anymore that runs this - F1 Sim $6 million

Edit: On the sleep, the twins are about 30/45 mins apart on feeding cycles, and they feed every 3hrs +- 30mins. So I am playing Forza to keep awake between that, I sometimes close my eyes on the straights. The joys of parenting with a wife on bed rest!

A friend came over today that is a huge top gear fan, he had no idea that he could drive the track. He spent around 20-laps in different cars, but I had to turn most of the assists on for him. He used to SCCA roadrace so it was funny to watch him struggle with the controller (he is not a gamer).

My love of Indy racing started with this game from 1989, I must have millions of laps. Like Andretti I would run off into the lead and almost lap the field only to have something break or make a mistake, 2.5 hour races or something like that. It was great, you had to plan your pit stop strategy, try and manage fuel, etc. I don't remember it looking so bad though! ;)

This is the game that started it all for me, after that I had to get into karting.

Papyrus are sorely missed, I have a theory that indycar 2 still wont run great even on todays cpu's ;)
Then of course the ultimate sim gp legends which I was brilliant at until I reached the first corner.

Papyrus are sorely missed, I have a theory that indycar 2 still wont run great even on todays cpu's ;)
Then of course the ultimate sim gp legends which I was brilliant at until I reached the first corner.
So many fond memories, I do wonder where Geoff Crammond has gone.

I can't find the view of the server room anymore that runs this - F1 Sim $6 million[/URL]

Edit: On the sleep, the twins are about 30/45 mins apart on feeding cycles, and they feed every 3hrs +- 30mins. So I am playing Forza to keep awake between that, I sometimes close my eyes on the straights. The joys of parenting with a wife on bed rest!
A friend came over today that is a huge top gear fan, he had no idea that he could drive the track. He spent around 20-laps in different cars, but I had to turn most of the assists on for him. He used to SCCA roadrace so it was funny to watch him struggle with the controller (he is not a gamer).

My love of Indy racing started with this game from 1989, I must have millions of laps. Like Andretti I would run off into the lead and almost lap the field only to have something break or make a mistake, 2.5 hour races or something like that.[/URL] It was great, you had to plan your pit stop strategy, try and manage fuel, etc. I don't remember it looking so bad though! ;)
This is the game that started[/URL] it all for me, after that I had to get into karting.
Wowwwwww, that sim, it seems unapproachable. Totally.

I have always had a fascination for Indy racing. I don't know what it was, if the muscle cars themselves -most probably, I like how some of them look- or the liveries, the atmosphere... In fact I bought one of those games for my PC in the late 90s, fun times. Then I began to play Age of Empires online and that's all I played for a while -I had also met a wonderful girl I will never forget who was my friend (yes, only that, we met chatting on the net), wherever you are, Ana.... I hope you are fine-

As for muscle cars, one of the most beautiful cars ever made -muscle or other- is the original Dodge Viper RT-10, imo. Every time I see that car (especially in blue) in a video or a photo it still gives me the shivers. :smile2:

That car marked my transition to my teenage years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Viper#First_generation_RT.2F10_.281992.E2.80.931995.29

On another note, the attention to detail -especially the sound- they had with the LaFerrari is awesome. Besides that, it is one of the most fun cars to drive in the game.

Cyan;1813639 That car marked my transition to my teenage years. [URL said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Viper#First_generation_RT.2F10_.281992.E2.80.931995.29[/URL]

I owned a 98 Viper coupe, one of my favorite cars, the original roadsters were pretty horrible cars, the coupe and later cars were much better. A very unique driving experience.

I owned a 98 Viper coupe, one of my favorite cars, the original roadsters were pretty horrible cars, the coupe and later cars were much better. A very unique driving experience.
You are a lucky boy. I am genuinely curious about driving one of those cars if even for a few minutes.

As for the original roadsters, it is their design that was so attractive to me. The problem was that the car was so Spartan that some basic features were left aside for some odd reason. -no windows, no proper door handles....-

Changing subject, this new video shows actual drivers praising the realism of the game. Forza has certainly reached a high status by now, deservedly so.:

I am playing the game without assists and it is very unforgiving -counter steering is the norm at times-, but very satisfying at the same time. The problem is that I get super nervous sometimes when I am playing well and about to beat a record and that's when I am more prone to make a mistake.

If someone wants to add me, my Gamertag is in my signature, feel free to do so.

Original roadsters had utterly horrible handling, they redesigned the suspension with the coupe, and it was a huge improvement the later roadsters used the redesigned suspension.

I think most people would be surprised when driving any big front engined car fast, they tend to under steer heavily then they transition from severe under steer to severe over steer unbelievably quickly, anyone who owned a Viper who claims to have never spun it are either lying, or a incredibly conservative driver.
I never thought I'd miss ABS until I owned the viper.

Original roadsters had utterly horrible handling, they redesigned the suspension with the coupe, and it was a huge improvement the later roadsters used the redesigned suspension.

I think most people would be surprised when driving any big front engined car fast, they tend to under steer heavily then they transition from severe under steer to severe over steer unbelievably quickly, anyone who owned a Viper who claims to have never spun it are either lying, or a incredibly conservative driver.

Yup, I remember that about the original Viper, it was extremely easy to slide the tail out with even moderate throttle. Even more so than just about any other sports car at the time.

Regards,
SB

Vipers were best driven when braking hard in a straight line, picking up the throttle on turn in and powering through the turn. I've drive a few and yeah, they're a handful to say the least. They also used to love cracking their windshield from chassis flex if driven hard enough.

Story time: My first track day back in the 2007 (i think), an instructor with a GTS going through a chicane at Thunderhill tried to counter understeer with power, snapped it to one side, car caught and went straight into the chain link fence, slide along it and came down on it's roof. He had the car for about a week.

Ha, I thought you meant the Thunderhill out by me, but that is just an oval. My first car was a Porsche (no silver spoon, I had to rebuild it), and that thing snapped me into a flat spin on a country road in an heartbeat one time. Sunroof came flying off, engine turned backwards since I did not yet know you had to dump the clutch in situations like that. Car was famous for snap oversteer, I kept it up until a few years ago when I was tired of feeding it alternators. It became fun to drive as I improved it, and would let you hang the tail out if you wanted instead of just going into a hell death spin.

Our current daily driver is a bore to drive, even in the rain you can't get it to misbehave. Darn 4-wheel drive and magic computers. This all relates to Forza I promise. ;)

Cyan - I am working on that rival challenge with you, I could not keep my eyes open last night (or was it this morning) and my setups kept getting worse and worse.

My home kart track finally has google maps showing the construction of our expansion, wish it showed the actual state it is in now. HCKC Raceway

Ha, I thought you meant the Thunderhill out by me, but that is just an oval. My first car was a Porsche (no silver spoon, I had to rebuild it), and that thing snapped me into a flat spin on a country road in an heartbeat one time. Sunroof came flying off, engine turned backwards since I did not yet know you had to dump the clutch in situations like that. Car was famous for snap oversteer, I kept it up until a few years ago when I was tired of feeding it alternators. It became fun to drive as I improved it, and would let you hang the tail out if you wanted instead of just going into a hell death spin.

Our current daily driver is a bore to drive, even in the rain you can't get it to misbehave. Darn 4-wheel drive and magic computers. This all relates to Forza I promise. ;)

Cyan - I am working on that rival challenge with you, I could not keep my eyes open last night (or was it this morning) and my setups kept getting worse and worse.

My home kart track finally has google maps showing the construction of our expansion, wish it showed the actual state it is in now. HCKC Raceway
Yup, the expansion of your home kart track looks under construction, it seems fun to drive, those twisty turns... Talking of which, I miss the Proving Grounds track in Forza 4 and Forza 5. Those were some of my favourites, and I would love to see a next gen version of them.

You have become a nocturnal bird. :smile: As for the rival challenge go for it. It is going to be tough. I don't think I can improve it much, except if I have a near perfect start in the chicane after the first turn.

If you want to try another fun challenge and recreate Jimmy Fallon's night show when they played Forza 5 for the first time, the Specs rivals challenge is for you.

I have set another good time there, this game is coming naturally to me for some reason. I don't know why.

I was never much into the cockpit camera until I tried Forza 5 -it might be the dashboard reflections-, and used other cameras to set good times at Forza 4. -my best place being in the 2000-ish-

This was my first time beating a complex rival, I improved the time by 2 seconds ever since.

Thanks people -ERP and Silent and Robert- for sharing your some of your most *exciting* driving experiences and here is to safe driving!!

icesnow_logo2.jpg

Back