Forza 4

Grrr! The servers are now "up" and not only is my 44.9 gone my 45.1 doesn't have a ghost. Grrrrr!!

Yeah, I noticed that (bad luck indeed :( ) I was unable to best you recorded time(did a 45.399 lap) but did manage to best Robert :) Ended up playing way longer then intended, probaly going to oversleep tomorrow :) But I did set a couple of new goals for you all :D

That sucks. But you'll best it. ;) I took Beyond3D honors in the Kia tonight on Top Gear, still some room left though for me, I'm wasting a lot in that second last corner (not too much anymore before though I think, unless I switch to the clutch perhaps). Hopefully they didn't lose that.

There's a surprise for you next time your online ;-)

I am level 19 and truly enjoying it. This is my list of things they irmproved a lot:

- the new collision detection is much better than in previous Forza games, it only affects the actual area where the car has been impacted

- Finally! You can get some attachment to your cars or the cars you prefer. I bought the Toyota Supra '98, one of my favourite cars ever and I am playing A class tournaments with my stock (rated B461) Supra against A598-599 cars, and doing fine -at least on Clubman tournaments where difficulty is lower-.

- following the previous reasoning, I can now enter championships with my car/s I could never ever join before in Forza 2 and 3. It makes the career mode so much fun.

- Rivals mode is truly awesome. I really hope that for the next Forza they also add a Stock Rivals mode, with a dedicated leaderboard for every car in the game. I mean, if your favourite car is the Dodge Viper or the Porsche Carrera, being able to play Rivals mode individually with your favourite cars is certainly great.

- tracks like Silverstone which looked dull in Forza 3 now look a lot better thanks to all the improvements they made in the technical department. Despite lacking the amazing lighting of that other game, they make up for it with the graphics running at a flawless -Forza 3 had framerate dips, I think- 60 fps and they still manage to look great.

I think it was Arwin who said that racing simulation is a genre where consoles supassed PCs already and I completely agree with him. Gamers who play Live for Speed or rFactor always boast about how realistic they are and so on. That's fine, but GT5 and Forza 4 creators, could achieve that realism and some more, if they really wanted to!!, given the resources and talented team they have now.

In that sense, my hats off to Turn 10, there was a time I thought they couldn't make a game like Forza 4, which is both fun and technically great. Technically wise it is in my top 3 this generation, on the X360.

Why hello there...

Beyond3D%20Aston1.png

I wanted to make something that looked a bit more like a race car.

I've attacked a few times, even one of onkle bjorni's. ;) Generally I mostly went for easy looking targets. I really love that you can see how long it took a rival to beat your time! ;)

The F50 challenge btw showed me that they fixed an important issue where the game would lose the rear of the car under 'suspect' circumstances. This is much better now.

But if it wasn't for Rivals, this game would be losing me again pretty soon. The cars just don't have much personality, and most of the game still doesn't either. Level 28 now and not enough time yet to fully make up my mind, but the initial glamour is wearing off a bit after discovering a little too much silicon under the bonnet of the driving model.

I've attacked a few times, even one of onkle bjorni's. ;) Generally I mostly went for easy looking targets. I really love that you can see how long it took a rival to beat your time! ;)

Yeah, got 2 rivals e-mails when I went online :) Where do you see how long it took a rival? Have not seen this myself (but have not looked for it, so maybe that's why :))

But if it wasn't for Rivals, this game would be losing me again pretty soon. The cars just don't have much personality, and most of the game still doesn't either. Level 28 now and not enough time yet to fully make up my mind, but the initial glamour is wearing off a bit after discovering a little too much silicon under the bonnet of the driving model.

I don't know, I think the cars have more personality compared to Forza 3. I really enjoy some of the cars in the lower classes. (I have a d-class BMW 2002 that is just a hoot to drive :))

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, got 2 rivals e-mails when I went online :) Where do you see how long it took a rival? Have not seen this myself (but have not looked for it, so maybe that's why :))

Two? Only one from me I think, for the NSX? It's the only one where I decided to pick your time to attack, as it's a combo I like and didn't mind spending some time with. ;) Or did I accidentally do a decent time somewhere else?

I don't know, I think the cars have more personality compared to Forza 3. I really enjoy some of the cars in the lower classes. (I have a d-class BMW 2002 that is just a hoot to drive :))

Oh I won't disagree with that, almost everything about Forza 4 is better than Forza 3. The car clubs are great too, and work great. I love that we have a Beyond3D club and that you can compare your times automatically with everyone in there (the first game I personally liked that about was SingStar actually!).

But when I'm talking about personality, I mean that rear-wheel drive cars only seem to differ in how quickly and how far their rear breaks out and little else. And that tire grip model feels too much the same across all types of cars. It's well done, also in the force feedback, but it almost seems for many things that they only modelled what is similar for all cars, not what is unique, and highlight that too much across the board because no matter what car you are driving, they want you to feel their best bits, whether it is in the sound, handling, graphics, etc. That gives a great initial impression, but after some prolonged play that gives me this feeling of similarity across the board.

What I found rather disappointing this weekend is that not only can you, when your car breaks out, simply steer your car back in, no matter the balance of the car, and you don't have to let go of the gas much either; but when you do correct that, you have lost practically no speed whatsoever. I was chasing some ghosts on Road Atlanta in the Panoz when I noticed that, and that's just crazy. I can imagine that you don't lose so much speed when your rear wheels are basically gliding and still spinning forward, but regaining grip should be more costly. And I can imagine this if you're driving with some assists, but here I only have auto-clutch. This definitely removes some depth to the driving model for me and takes me out of the experience.

Don't get me wrong, its still a great game, and many of the major complaints I had about Forza 3 have been fixed, but that shows finding the areas where the game can still improve are actually helpful. ;)

Another thing that still drives me crazy is the way controllers are handled in this game. Maybe this is an Xbox fault rather than a Forza fault, but it is still annoying: you cannot have the controller and the wheel active at the same time. There are a few things I can't do with the wheel, but I cannot then pick up the controller to do it with that. This means I have to shut down the whole system and reboot Forza 4 each time I want to use the controller, which is slightly mad.

The time it took someone to beat your time I think is in the message. There is one time that shows the new rival time, and I think another one that shows how long it took, unless I'm reading it wrong.

....I think another one that shows how long it took, unless I'm reading it wrong.

I think the other time you are talking about is the time of day that the rival time was beaten?

As for 'picking off the easy ones', I assume there'll be at least a couple for me ;) I haven't had much of a chance to play this weekend. In fact, I don't think I booted it up since Friday evening. I'm Batman, you see.

So do you guys recommend the standard version or put out for the extra dough for the Limited Edition (if I can find one)?

Standard, tbh. I originally planned to go for the LE but NavNuc made a valid point in that you don't get much extra for your cash. I later won a LE and will probably sell it as I don't see much point in only using it for the extra code for 1/2 dozen extra cars.

Standard, tbh. I originally planned to go for the LE but NavNuc made a valid point in that you don't get much extra for your cash. I later won a LE and will probably sell it as I don't see much point in only using it for the extra code for 1/2 dozen extra cars.

Thanks.

It appears to be selling well as there was only one standard edition copy left at my local shop. Hopefully it still there, otherwise I may hit up the local mall.

I think the other time you are talking about is the time of day that the rival time was beaten?

Ah, that could be it too! If that's it, then perhaps that's a fun little addition they could at some time. ;)

As for 'picking off the easy ones', I assume there'll be at least a couple for me ;) I haven't had much of a chance to play this weekend. In fact, I don't think I booted it up since Friday evening. I'm Batman, you see.

Yes, there are definitely some for you. ;) I went for everything I felt like driving that didn't have onkl bjorni or some of my older Forza 3 racing friends listed as rivals. ;) That's not to say it is a piece of cake always, and they do a good job rewarding you depending on how fast your opponent's score is relative to the online leaderboards I think. Even then though it can take me a little while if the track is one I haven't driven in a long time or is different, combined with driving without assists makes it sometimes already tricky just to get a clean lap.

Another thing that still drives me crazy is the way controllers are handled in this game. Maybe this is an Xbox fault rather than a Forza fault, but it is still annoying: you cannot have the controller and the wheel active at the same time. There are a few things I can't do with the wheel, but I cannot then pick up the controller to do it with that. This means I have to shut down the whole system and reboot Forza 4 each time I want to use the controller, which is slightly mad.

What are you trying to trying do with the wheel that you can only do with the controller? Also why are you shutting down the entire system :oops: If you turn off the wheel the controller that you turn on should be your profile and controller 1. I'll reverify but I have never ever turned off my system when switching between secondary devices like wheel, guitar, or my Harmony remote are you sure it isn't system unfamiliarity?

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you trying to trying do with the wheel that you can only do with the controller? Also why are you shutting down the entire system :oops: If you turn off the wheel the controller that you turn on should be your profile and controller 1. I'll reverify but I have never ever turned off my system when switching between secondary devices like wheel, guitar, or my Harmony remote are you sure it isn't system unfamiliarity?

RT and LT don't work, and I don't have analog sticks for stuff like decals, AutoVista etc. If I just turn off the wheel and the controller, the controller stays controller 2 once the wheel is controller 1, even after I turn it off. Believe me, I've tried. If you find a solution I will be grateful. I can be wrong - like the day I learnt my 360 actually has additional USB ports on the front. :LOL:

RT and LT don't work, and I don't have analog sticks for stuff like decals, AutoVista etc. If I just turn off the wheel and the controller, the controller stays controller 2 once the wheel is controller 1, even after I turn it off. Believe me, I've tried. If you find a solution I will be grateful. I can be wrong - like the day I learnt my 360 actually has additional USB ports on the front. :LOL:

Ah ok, I thought accelerate and brake were LT and RT irrespectively. I'll do a run through tonight when I get home about wheel and xid.

Ah ok, I thought accelerate and brake were LT and RT irrespectively. I'll do a run through tonight when I get home about wheel and xid.

No, I think I've tried that.

This is a good show of FM4's best side, imho, with the great work they did on copying Top Gear's cameras. Unfortunately you can also see the loss of grip issue that I discussed prop op twice, and the second one just doesn't make sense.

Two? Only one from me I think, for the NSX? It's the only one where I decided to pick your time to attack, as it's a combo I like and didn't mind spending some time with. ;) Or did I accidentally do a decent time somewhere else?

Hmm, maybe it was someone else. It was the NSX one and one with the Ferrari F40(on Mugello track I think)

Oh I won't disagree with that, almost everything about Forza 4 is better than Forza 3. The car clubs are great too, and work great. I love that we have a Beyond3D club and that you can compare your times automatically with everyone in there (the first game I personally liked that about was SingStar actually!).

Agree completely :)

But when I'm talking about personality.....

Maybe you are right, I don't have much experience with the competition, so I have no base to compare. All I know is that the driving (model) in Forza 4 is the most enjoyable I have ever played :)

The cars just don't have much personality, and most of the game still doesn't either. Level 28 now and not enough time yet to fully make up my mind, but the initial glamour is wearing off a bit after discovering a little too much silicon under the bonnet of the driving model.

What is meant by personality or silicon? Just having a hard time understanding the references.

What is meant by personality or silicon? Just having a hard time understanding the references.

Means he prefers the Gran Turismo driving model. There seems to be a pretty even split around what people seem to prefer between Forza and GT. It's my understanding that Forza uses a single, yet more complex, physics model for every thing, with each car only affecting the model based on the inputs it supplies; GT apparently has a simpler model, but with much more per vehicle hand tuning, workarounds for corner case conditions which may otherwise break the physics, with different algorithms for certain vehicles, road surfaces, etc. This is based on info I've gleaned from previous interviews, articles, and dev comments, not something I know from first hand knowledge.

Back