Forum Software Change!

Havent read the thread but since the latest update (two weeks ago or so?) notifications aren't loading anymore, the pane just stays black.

This is on the stock HTC one m7 browser.

And no I will not use the app ;) why does that need things like access to my phonebook?

On the forum home page, the labels of subforums with unread posts now show up bold but grey instead of blue or orange (light/dark theme) for me, which makes it hard to see that there are unread posts. Oddly, in the dark theme they're followed by a bold orange three dots.

I must say, the interface was easier before the very last update.

ON MOBILE: I used to jump to the top of the page and always see New Posts there, which was a very quick way to jump back to new posts. But now it usually says Search Posts and I have to tap tap tap until I find New Posts again.

On Desktop: the whole bar showing " Mark Forums Read Search Forums Watched Forums Watched Threads New Posts" is not sticky anymore so now when I get to the bottom of a thread, instead of having a nice little New Posts button at the top of the page, I have to scroll all the way up, or step backward to the last page, and find New Posts so I can see what has been posted in the last 30 seconds.

Know what I mean? Would be nice to have those two things sorted.

I don't really want a sticky bar (scrolling to the top is just a single click), but given that there is a sticky bar which is largely empty, it would be nice if the links mentioned by London-boy could go into that unused space.

"scrolling to the top" means the arrows down?
To get the "new posts" you have to "scroll and move mouse down right" (arrows appear), "click", "move mouse all the way up and scroll" (because to-top is below the menu) and then "new posts". I became quite profficient in doing it the most efficient way, almost like being in competitive games.

Edit: ookay, the to-top is really top now. one less. :)

Rys I think the break point for 3-wide nodes should be more. Maybe 100-200px more.

Rys I think the break point for 3-wide nodes should be more. Maybe 100-200px more.
Yup. It breaks on my 1366x768 screen, which is too early. 3-wide did look great on the 1920x1080 desktop, when I opened beyond3d on it some time ago.

So what's the intended outcome that you'd like to see? I'm a bit confused as to what you're looking for here.

This is the current break point if you operate at that or slighter wider viewport. The node titles are very long and wrap, combined with the new also it's kinda ugly

ugly.JPG

This is wider view port. Looks better so I figured possibly change the break so it switches to 3-wide when it looks better. It's pedantic I know.

better.JPG

For an individual sub forum or the whole thing? If it's the latter, it's right there at the top left of the page.

Even if you mean the former, it's right there at the exact same spot. It will prompt you as to what you want, Just the SubForum or the Entire Site.

This is the current break point if you operate at that or slighter wider viewport. The node titles are very long and wrap, combined with the new also it's kinda ugly

This is wider view port. Looks better so I figured possibly change the break so it switches to 3-wide when it looks better. It's pedantic I know.
No matter what combination of node width breakpoints I set, I can't seem to get it to more gracefully render. I'll keep trying, but at some point if I can't solve it then I'll give up and work on something else.

No matter what combination of node width breakpoints I set, I can't seem to get it to more gracefully render. I'll keep trying, but at some point if I can't solve it then I'll give up and work on something else.
Definitely not something to spend much time on Rys :) Thanks for giving it a go, can't say I've worked with the break points on UI.X yet either.

I realised just now that it's also a little wasteful to work on it before the forum reorganisation. I'll revisit it afterwards though.

Appreciate the feedback as always, since you're right that it doesn't look great.

@Rys Any more news on when we might see the sub-forum culling/re-organization that was announced around new-year's, IIRC? :)

I'm now at the stage where I know I can't completely automate it. I had originally planned to basically do the structural changes and thread moves and renaming all directly on the database, but that's just not possible.

So it's now just a matter of doing a couple of dry runs on the dev server, then scheduling it in when I know how long it's going to take, because the downtime will now be an hour or more, rather than the minutes I'd planned.. I'm on holiday for a couple of weeks now, so it's highly likely to happen in the first week of April.

Back