Forum Organisation Ideas & Suggestions

regression :p
evolution just means change btw, it doesn't imply being better, for that you would say progression :p
Hmm, this is going to seem antagonistic ... but I can't let this stand :) Both common sense and dictionaries disagree with you (the intended meaning was obvious from context and is in the dictionary).
Purchase Decisions is Advice/Help (could be named differently) under General.
(We could put one in Hardware & another in Software if you think it's better.)
Software doesn't need one, I can't think of many threads which would have been appropriate for it ... besides, didn't you want to keep the number of forums small? Just make it a root forum.
It feels like every single forum makes perfect sense to you while it doesn't to me
Not every single forum, I consolidated quite a few in my suggestion.

I do think that Beyond3D won't be itself without a dedicated 3D Architecture forum.

I think you are going to actually lose content with your forum index ... I couldn't even think of a truly appropriate forum to post "Mega Meshes - Lionhead" in, in your setup. Programming? No. Applications? No. Tools ... maybe, but meh still doesn't sound right. Game Engine Performance and Features ... oh hell yeah :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, this is going to seem antagonistic ... but I can't let this stand :) Both common sense and dictionaries disagree with you (the intended meaning was obvious from context and is in the dictionary).

c(1) does imply progress, it's not the case in my native language.
(I assumed it didn't in english either, as it makes it a synonymous of progress.)

I think you are going to actually lose content with your forum index ... I couldn't even think of a truly appropriate forum to post "Mega Meshes - Lionhead" in, in your setup. Programming? No. Applications? No. Tools ... maybe, but meh still doesn't sound right. Game Engine Performance and Features ... oh hell yeah :)

Software/Programming, although it might be better as Software/Technologies or Software/Algorithms.
Or maybe we also want a dedicated programming forum.

BTW, ignoring the folding forum I only have 2 more forums in my setup than you in yours (18 vs 16).

You are right, but it is still someone from the console technology community which spawns the thread ... and in doing so performs a valuable service. It's not like he couldn't post to 3D Technology & Algorithms, he just didn't.
But he didn't because we ahvce this artifical schism that has divided 3D algorithms into console ones and PC ones, despite there being no such divide in reality. And this sees lots of new thinking raised in the console forum and overlooked in the PC space where it shouldn't be. MLAA, megatexturing, megameshing, computer shaders on GPU and CPU, and gerenal rendering technologies that shouldn't be missed by one side or the other.

I mean it would fit rather well in the "Game Engine Performance and Features" subforum in my setup ... yet the "Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech" really fits better in a specialized console forum rather than the main 3D hardware forum.
I can see that, but at the same I have to question why? Is it a legitimate division of ideas, or just a convention we're used to? Larrabee featured heavily for a while which is a 'PC tech'. OnLive suggests a possible dumb-terminal future, that is PC based. The hardware developments of GPUs happens in the PC space, so you can't pick a GPU for a console without knowing the PC space. And there's the possiblity of low-power consoles maybe going with mobile hardware, which needs input from those with mobile knowhow.

If we don't include all parties, we are excluding valuable knowledge, so I feel we should be looking for inclusion.

I think you are going to actually lose content with your forum index ... I couldn't even think of a truly appropriate forum to post "Mega Meshes - Lionhead" in, in your setup. Programming? No.
To me it definitely fits here, although that's probably a matter of interpretation of a particular term. Maybe programming is the wrong name, and it should be something like Engine and Algorithms? But for me, the technique is a technique, and where a tool is required to build it, the tool itself doesn't get much discussion. I can't see much talk of tools in the console fora; there are few people contributing with hands on experience of creating code and assets who'll want to chat about what options and developments there are.

c(1) does imply progress, it's not the case in my native language.
(I assumed it didn't in english either, as it makes it a synonymous of progress.)
I'm afraid English has butchered your langauge, and these days lots of words have degenerated their fine-grain meanings to cover basically the same broader idea.

Software/Programming, although it might be better as Software/Technologies or Software/Algorithms.
Or maybe we also want a dedicated programming forum.
A part of me likes the idea of a dedicated programming forum, but the current divisions provide a clear taxonomy. What am I wanting to talk about - a piece of hardware or a bit of code running on it? That defines the forum. Now which subforum?

Actually that's what we're needing, a logistical taxonomy. MfA is wanting a more bottom-up classification from the end devices, where people will look for where to post based on their intended object or sphere of experience. Whereas Rodéric is wanting a top-down structure based on what technological aspect is being discussed. I prefer the latter myself.

But he didn't because we ahvce this artifical schism that has divided 3D algorithms into console ones and PC ones, despite there being no such divide in reality. And this sees lots of new thinking raised in the console forum and overlooked in the PC space where it shouldn't be. MLAA, megatexturing, megameshing, computer shaders on GPU and CPU, and gerenal rendering technologies that shouldn't be missed by one side or the other.
The best megatexture threads are in the core forum ... but anyway ...

It is just my observation that most of the really technical software threads on Console Technology are about software as used in a specific game or specific engine, so more often something like "Killzone 3 and MLAA" than pure theoretical discussion of MLAA. Split out the Console Technology hardware threads to the Console forum ... and leave the rest of the technical threads where they are, just rename the forum and link it in two places as subforums. It makes it more general without disenfranchising the people who came to it purely from the perspective of the consoles and without redundancy for the development/algorithm forum ... which would be the place to discuss the features in isolation from any specific game engine implementation.

I don't care about taxonomy, I care about minimal disruption to achieve worthy goals ... I think consolidation, removal of redundancy and dead wood are worthy goals ... trying to achieve an aesthetically pleasing forum index, not so much.

BTW, ignoring the folding forum I only have 2 more forums in my setup than you in yours (18 vs 16).

Except my tree is balanced and rather flat, while yours isn't ;p
(Programmer speaking you know, balanced trees nice, balanced binary trees nicer... ^^)

Obviously I prefer the structure I propose because it feels way more natural to me.
Find which broad topic you want to talk about, and then refine once, quick and simple.

I'm curious about the "Game Engine Performance and Features" forum of your proposal, what do you expect to see in there ?

I was going to make a list of the threads in Console Technology which would go in there ... but I think it's more efficient to make a list of the first page threads which wouldn't go into "Game Engine Performance and Features".

To Development and Algorithms :
Game development presentations - a useful reference (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
Article: Making of Racing Games - Assets

To Console :
Sticky: CellPerformance@B3D
Sticky: FAQ: What, What Not and How to post in the Console Forum!
Technological discussion on PS3 security and crack.* (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
Are there any technical reasons why Nintendo couldn't or shouldn't use ARM for Wii2? (Multi-page thread 1 2)
Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
Cell/CPu architectures as a GPU (Frostbite Spinoff) (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
*spin-off* Deferred Rendering & 360 (Multi-page thread 1 2)
Alternative distribution to optical disks : SSD, cards, and download* (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
Kinect technology thread (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
Range of graphics effects in console games *spawn (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
Are current gen hi-def consoles near to their achievable limit (Multi-page thread 1 2)
IPv6, Consoles and gaming networks

Pretty much everything else can stay, a little over half.

PS. I flattened it a tad.

Bump ... so do you see my point now?

It's basically about keeping the forum layout recognizable, and achieving the goal of more focused technical discussions by splitting out console hardware and console specific topics from what are predominantly game engine discussions currently in console technology.

As I said before, evolutionary.

I spend too much time adding bullet points to let it go to waste ... how about the powers that be weigh in? My suggestion is conceptually very close to Arun's just a little more specific. Once more :

• News Forums
    • News
    • Jobs
  • Core 3D forums
    • Architecture, Chips and Display Technology
    • Development and Algorithms
      • subforum link to Game Engine Performance and Features
    • Benchmarking, Reviews and Drivers
  • General Forums
    • Hardware
    • Software
    • Purchase Decisions Help
    • Business and Ethics
  • Embedded Platform Forums
    • Consoles
      • subforum Game Engine Performance and Features
      • subforum link to Console Games
    • Handhelds
      • subforum link to Handheld Games
  • Games Forums
    • Console Games
    • Handheld Games
    • PC Games
  • Off-Topic Forums
    • General
      • Subforum RPSC
  • Site Forums
    • Feedback
    • Folding For Beyond3D Team #32377
  • Beyond3d Hall of Fame
    • Pre-release GPU Speculation
    • General 3D Technology
    • Consoles
    • Other
    • Console Technology (subtext ... "RIP, an archive of the entire old forum.")

Furthermore I would suggest manually copying the old threads to the appropriate new forums, really annoying work ... but perfectly manageable, because it's mostly consolidation. Only console technology would be a little too fundamentally changed to make it possible to keep all the old post, so sort the first couple of pages and archive the rest. Here is what I would suggest in that respect :

Architecture, Chips and Display Technology < 3D Architecture and Chips, part of the 3D beginner's questions and part of Video Technology, Displays, &HTPC (discussing pure technology aspects of display technology and/or 3D displays)

Development and Algorithms < part of the 3D beginners questions, 3D Technology & Algorithms, GPGPU Technology & Programming, part of CellPerformance@B3D, part of Console Technology

Benchmarking, Reviews and Drivers < 3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices

Hardware < part Video Technology, Displays, & HTPC, part of Hardware & Software Talk, Processor & Chipset Technology, part of CellPerformance@B3D

Software < part of Hardware & Software talk, Unix, Mac, & BSD

Business and Ethics < 3D & Semiconductor Industry, Politics & Ethics of Technology

Consoles < Console Forum, part of Console Technology

Game Engine Performance and Features < the rest of Console Technology (most of it, at least in recent times)

All the other forums are straight copies.

Minimum of disruption (the revolutionary shuffles would basically force the forum to start from 0, would lose a significant amount of the community IMO), plenty of consolidation, nicer looking forum index.

Back