Forum Organisation Ideas & Suggestions

Handheld consoles don't see that many launches, which is the only time they are interesting to talk about, so they don't really need their own forum ... already most of the discussion is about phones and tablets.

mmh okay what about :

• News
  • Jobs
  • Business
  • Hardware
    • Chips
    • Displays
  • Software
    • Programming
    • Tools
  • Games
    • PC
    • Consoles
    • Handhelds
  • Off-Topic
    • General
    • RSPC
    • Feedback

(Likely business & jobs could be merged as one)

I like it! Nice and simple and yet everything makes sense.

mmh okay what about :

• News
  • Jobs
  • Business
  • Hardware
    • Chips
    • Displays
  • Software
    • Programming
    • Tools
  • Games
    • PC
    • Consoles
    • Handhelds
  • Off-Topic
    • General
    • RSPC
    • Feedback

That's looking promising but looking at it I can't think of where to put things like the IE9/chrome/opera/firefox discussions we have in the HW and Software forum.

As well I wouldn't mind having an Advice/Help type of forum that would encompass many of the threads that currently reside in Displays & HTPC, Purchase Decisions Help, and other areas. Sure those could be included as part of other respective forums, but having it in it's own makes it easier to lookup past advice and help and it wouldn't get buried in a potential avalanche of other more popular threads.

Regards,
SB

That's looking promising but looking at it I can't think of where to put things like the IE9/chrome/opera/firefox discussions we have in the HW and Software forum.
I could see a "Applications" in "Software" for that.

As well I wouldn't mind having an Advice/Help type of forum that would encompass many of the threads that currently reside in Displays & HTPC, Purchase Decisions Help, and other areas. Sure those could be included as part of other respective forums, but having it in it's own makes it easier to lookup past advice and help and it wouldn't get buried in a potential avalanche of other more popular threads.
"Advice/Help" under "Off-Topic" maybe ?

Console technology didn't get split off for shits and giggles ...

I was hoping to cluster the console people to the Games/Console forum, if they are serious about tech/hardware, they'll follow the proper rule of conducts of Beyond3D and post in the other relevant forums.
No "fanboyism" tolerated, either you genuinely want to learn/share or you GTFO.

I could see a "Applications" in "Software" for that.

"Advice/Help" under "Off-Topic" maybe ?

That would probably work. Perhaps "Application & OS" as there seems to be some discussion on various OSs also.

I was hoping to cluster the console people to the Games/Console forum, if they are serious about tech/hardware, they'll follow the proper rule of conducts of Beyond3D and post in the other relevant forums.

Heh, I don't envy the poor mods if this happens. :)

Regards,
SB

The rivalry is not really the issue ... but the console tech discussions also are much more about the integrated systems than the ones traditionally in the 3D hardware forums.

I think the present split up works fine ... no need to mess with it except for the subforum to split off things like the tris/frame and anti-aliasing methods in game engines threads which Arun wants IMO.

mmh okay what about :

• News
  • Jobs
  • Business
  • Hardware
    • Chips
    • Displays
  • Software
    • Programming
    • Tools
  • Games
    • PC
    • Consoles
    • Handhelds
  • Off-Topic
    • General
    • RSPC
    • Feedback
I like it. Seems very logical. Business and jobs probably shouldn't be merged as one is going to be full or arguments over numbers attracting strongly opiniated arm-chair businessmen, which isn't what you want when trying to attract technical people.

Consider for a moment how fuck-large the chips forum would get if you combined console technology with 3D hardware. Combined with the fact that you are ripping apart the console technology forum since not everything talked about there is strictly hardware. Consolidation and parting out some discussion into a subforum is evolution, ripping apart one of the busiest forums and scattering it over multiple forums with previously unrelated topics is revolution

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll grant hardware needs to ahve a space for everything not chips and displays. RAM, IO devices and protocols, etc., all need a place to be discussed. Perhaps and "Other" subforum in the hardware category, alongside "Chips" and "Displays"?

What is the problem with the present setup? Most of the console technology threads are pretty much smack dab on topic apart from the ones talking about things like MLAA/3D engines which would fit a bit better in a 3D algorithms/programming forum. I think there is unrecognised Brilliance in Arun's original suggestion to just split those threads off the console forums. Make it a subforum of both console technology (so they keep some sense of ownership, it is the community spawning these discussions after all) and the 3D algorithms/programming forum.

Maybe people will like my suggestion based on that idea better if I format it pretty as well? :)

• News Forums
    • News
    • Jobs
  • Core 3D forums
    • Architecture, Chips and Display Technology
    • Development and Algorithms
      • subforum link to Game Engine Performance and Features
    • Benchmarking, Reviews and Drivers
  • General Forums
    • Hardware
    • Software
    • Purchase Decisions Help
    • Business and Ethics
  • Embedded Platform Forums
    • Consoles
      • subforum Game Engine Performance and Features
      • subforum link to Console Games
    • Handhelds
      • subforum link to Handheld Games
  • Games Forums
    • Console Games
    • Handheld Games
    • PC Games
  • Off-Topic Forums
    • General
    • RSPC
  • Site Forums
    • Feedback
    • Folding For Beyond3D Team #32377

There's too much cross-over though, especially looking forwards. 3D tech is 3D tech, whether it's in a console, handheld, or PC. Thus the embedded platform forum doesn't make much sense any more. Is iPad a mobile or a console? What about Xoom, a mobile or tablet PC? Or a Windows 7 phone running XNA and connecting to Live? And a console forum will end up with lots of discussion about tech that needs to be moved into engines and algorithms, and then lots of console posters will enter those threads and start posting about business and console wars.

What needs be said is that there is no 'right' design. Every forum structure choice will have pros and cons. It's a matter of picking the least flawed system for our intended uses, that generates the most useful discussion and least amount of maintenance.

Console 3D hardware only overlap with the state of the art (ie. PC hardware) a very short time because of the console cycle, yet has discussions about it (which fit really poorly with discussions about PC hardware) for it's entire cycle.

Handheld 3D technology lags PC hardware by a couple of years feature wise while having it's own sets of challenges and innovations which don't really apply outside of handhelds.

Phones, iPads, Xoom and tablets in general are clearly handhelds.

There is no right design, but there are clearly evolutionary designs and clearly revolutionary designs ... and I thought the objective was evolution?

Simplicity is the key.
It's too hard to find out where to create a topic or what to watch, of course you can just hit the "New Posts", and I believe everyone does it because it's just easier than trying to figure out which forums to check.

• News
  • Jobs
  • Business
  • Hardware
    • Chips
    • Displays
    • Other
  • Software
    • Applications
    • Programming
    • Tools
  • Games
    • PC
    • Consoles
    • Handhelds
  • Off-Topic
    • General
    • Advice/Help
    • Feedback
    • RSPC

Consider for a moment how fuck-large the chips forum would get if you combined console technology with 3D hardware. Combined with the fact that you are ripping apart the console technology forum since not everything talked about there is strictly hardware. Consolidation and parting out some discussion into a subforum is evolution, ripping apart one of the busiest forums and scattering it over multiple forums with previously unrelated topics is revolution

Not that big really, just checked.

There are things that seem out of place to me like "Mega Meshes - Lionhead" in Console Technology.
That's an algorithm, it's not linked to a console, you can do it on PC/Consoles/Handhelds, so it shouldn't be there IMO.
I'd like things to be at a more logical place, and have fewers places to make easier for people to know where to create a new topic and what forums to read.

Nothing is ever permanent, we can always change it later on if we find it's not good enough, but I'd like to limit the number of forums we have in total.

There are things that seem out of place to me like "Mega Meshes - Lionhead" in Console Technology.
You are right, but it is still someone from the console technology community which spawns the thread ... and in doing so performs a valuable service. It's not like he couldn't post to 3D Technology & Algorithms, he just didn't. By trying to force those posters into a different community you might lose them altogether. Creating a subforum shared between 3D development/algorithms (whatever you want to call it in the future) and the console forum would more gently migrate those users and threads to a more strictly technical forum.

I mean it would fit rather well in the "Game Engine Performance and Features" subforum in my setup ... yet the "Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech" really fits better in a specialized console forum rather than the main 3D hardware forum.

In my scheme the most technical posts concerning game engines, MLAA , polygon per frame discussions etc. would stay where they are ... a subforum of the console forum, just with a name change and also linked as a subforum in the 3D Development and Algorithms forum. With the more console specific posts moving to the console forum. It accomplishes the separation, just in an evolutionary way without making the forum index completely different from what it was before.

Nothing is ever permanent, we can always change it later on if we find it's not good enough, but I'd like to limit the number of forums we have in total.
But you are cutting out forums with tradition, clear topics and activity ... and you seem to be ignoring why they were separated in the first place. Putting "Purchase Decisions" and "3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices" back into a single forum with discussions about 3D architecture is not evolution, it's not even revolution ... it's devolution.

But you are cutting out forums with tradition, clear topics and activity ... and you seem to be ignoring why they were separated in the first place. Putting "Purchase Decisions" and "3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices" back into a single forum with discussions about 3D architecture is not evolution, it's not even revolution ... it's devolution.

regression :p
evolution just means change btw, it doesn't imply being better, for that you would say progression :p

Purchase Decisions is Advice/Help (could be named differently) under General.
(We could put one in Hardware & another in Software if you think it's better.)

It feels like every single forum makes perfect sense to you while it doesn't to me, so obviously we are unlikely to agree on a new layout.

Back