Forum layout suggestion

epicstruggle

Passenger on Serenity
Veteran
Was having a discussion with a few b3d regulars in the IRC channel, and decided to mock up a suggestion brought up.

b3d.jpg

The changes:
-- Moved the General part of the forum to the bottom
-- Moved the Beta Articles under the Articles forum and changed the description to more clearly state that anyone can submitt articles relating to the site.

epic

Don't like it. The current layout is better IMHO. Why beta articles up there? That's updated like once a year, rarely anything new there. General should stay where it is, maybe move the RPSC to the bottom (or do away with it completely).

NNNNNNnnnnnnoooooooooo!!! That would require me to change the way i think! Do you know how hard that is after 4 years??? It would be like asking me to swap the right side of the brain with the left one!

_xxx_ said:
Don't like it. The current layout is better IMHO. Why beta articles up there? That's updated like once a year, rarely anything new there. General should stay where it is, maybe move the RPSC to the bottom (or do away with it completely).

Well, that was kind of the point. The Beta articles thing doesn't get the love it deserves. Expanding it beyond official site staff, and giving it higher visibility might help to address that.

I like it.

The Industry Job Postings thing came up in the context on one being posted in one of the forums. We ought to encourage that, and a forum for it would do that.

geo said:
The Industry Job Postings thing came up in the context on one being posted in one of the forums. We ought to encourage that, and a forum for it would do that.
Seconded. Perhaps even expand that into separate "IHV" and "ISV" sections too.

On the topic of the RPSEC forum, no matter if/where it is moved, the sub-heading should definitely be "Egos to be <...>" and not "Ego's to be <...>". Plurals don't come with apostrophes. Please.

Ghost of D3D said:
Seconded. Perhaps even expand that into separate "IHV" and "ISV" sections too.

And a third for "Press". We've seen that type here too.

zeckensack said:
On the topic of the RPSEC forum, no matter if/where it is moved, the sub-heading should definitely be "Egos to be <...>" and not "Ego's to be <...>". Plurals don't come with apostrophes. Please.

Maybe "ego's" == "ego is..."

Oh, another thing:

I know this has been discussed already, but how about giving us at least 2-3 alternative colour schemes? Please!!! I hate this bluish style, I'd love to see a more eyes-friendly greyish style like the old forum...

epicstruggle said:
Was having a discussion with a few b3d regulars in the IRC channel, and decided to mock up a suggestion brought up.

b3d.jpg

The changes:
-- Moved the General part of the forum to the bottom
-- Moved the Beta Articles under the Articles forum and changed the description to more clearly state that anyone can submitt articles relating to the site.

epic

Stop nagging. And you have a lot of private messages to read.

I can't believe I've been repped up for this:
zeckensack said:
Don't know who it was either, but seriously ... what's going on here? :oops:

Hey, I'm all in favor of spelling/grammar police-types channeling their affliction into positive reinforcement. ;)

zeckensack said:
I can't believe I've been repped up for this:Don't know who it was either, but seriously ... what's going on here? :oops:

I think it was me, with no deeper reason. Felt like it. And that title is not plural.

I would also like to add another suggestion. This forum looks slightly better as time goes on but there're still some areas to polish.

One of my gripes is that -if you haven´t logged in at least- once you scroll down reading some replies in a particular thread, you have to scroll all the way up again to see the forum you are in once more, which means that I can't read the rest of the threads in that forum without constantly feeling clumsy and slow, when I want to quickly see those other threads and the content of that forum.

I'm not inclined to go back either due to some really horrible layout when it comes to smoothness and fluency. Wouldn't be a good idea to create a carbon copy layout of the top area including the capability to Log in without having to scroll to the top of the page?

I mean something like this although not only at the top but at the bottom of the page too, close to where there's no space for more replies and a new page begins. Example:

Beyond3D Forum » Embedded 3D Forums » Console Forum » Console Technology » CryENGINE 3

Username - Password Area (LOGIN) ------------------------------> Search forum (SEARCH)

The Welcome are wouldn't be necessary, I think.

Other than that, I can't adequately express in words how happy and thankful I am that Beyond3D exists....

So thank you, guys. Thank you so much. You're my heroes, and I wish you will be always here.

Back