Formula 1 - The Eco Friendly Motorsport!

Electricity is the way to go. For two reasons: First, it is most likely what future cars will use. And second, it simply offers the best in ultimate raw power.

I doubt we'll see electric engines generating more power than the engines in F1 have now and be as light anytime soon. A F1 engine including full fuel tank weight under 200kg.

And electricity is lame because you dont get the hair raising sound you get with fuel engines.

How loud are F1 cars at full beans? Arent Motogp bikes producing like a 105 dB?
I couldn't say for certain, but I wore earplugs all day when I attended a practice day at Silverstone and they weren't racing.

So, all in all, the sound is the most important thing to many?

I take it none of you ever stood beside an electric motor larger than you that is spinning up? You need the sound to experience the sheer power?

How about a jet plane ready to take off? Amplified electric motors sound like that.

A electric motor lager than me wouldnt even fit in a F1 car. Besides, how much does that weight? a f1 engine only weights 95kg. You cant use a 200 - 300kg engine.

Ofcourse the sound is important because it gives a sence of speed to the tv images. Besides the sound just kicks ass.

Ok. I get it. Change is bad. Things are just perfect right now.

And if things should change, you want more power, less technical gadgetry and especially better sound.

Like, a simple huge V8 or V12 without a damper, and no electronics whatsoever?

Change isnt bad. if things change for the good. Wich isnt exactly the case for the last few years.

And yes I dont want electronics. Driver electronics that is. I want a driver to drive the car, not a computer make up for the lack of skills of modern day F1 drivers.

But just about anything that the electronics do is making life easier on the driver. Even engine management.

Thats why I say driver electronics (TC, LC). A driver is a driver in the first place. He should drive the car. I dont care if the engine management is electronic. A driver is there to drive, he isnt a engineer who's job is to keep the engine running.

I would love to see four independently powered and steered wheels, that autonomously try to maximize traction. So all the driver would do with the steering weel is: indicate the direction he wants to go.

Now THAT would be real innovation!

And such a car would beat any other one easily.

I wouldn't even mind if they took out the drivers altogether. That would be the most sensible thing to do, IMO. And a great way to make that possible for everyone in the near future. Simply press the button, and the car will take you there.

4wd have been done in the past, and failed. Independend steering? besides that the FIA will never allow that for good reasons I doubt it will be that much quicker. It will probably only make a real differance in real sharp corners. Independant tracktion already happens to the real wheels. And i'd rather not see that at all because it takes away the human factor.

I agree that it would be innovative, but its not disiarable.

I wouldn't even mind if they took out the drivers altogether. That would be the most sensible thing to do, IMO. And a great way to make that possible for everyone in the near future. Simply press the button, and the car will take you there.

If you want to make sure absolutely nobody watches F1 anymore than that indeed is a great idea. But people dont want to see computers race so that will never happen.

4wd have been done in the past, and failed. Independend steering? besides that the FIA will never allow that for good reasons I doubt it will be that much quicker. It will probably only make a real differance in real sharp corners. Independant tracktion already happens to the real wheels. And i'd rather not see that at all because it takes away the human factor.

I agree that it would be innovative, but its not disiarable.
That would depend on your point of view, wouldn't it?

But it would definitely make a big difference. Think about this:

If the driver wants to corner fast, he will bleed off a lot of energy at the start of a corner by putting the wheels sideways in the direction he is going, so they function as brakes. But with 4 independent wheels, they would steer to the direction you want the power to go, and already start to accelerate the car in that direction at the start of the corner. And so you get out of the corner much faster.

And they would do that while overtaking as well. Which is the major thing to win races.

If you want to make sure absolutely nobody watches F1 anymore than that indeed is a great idea. But people dont want to see computers race so that will never happen.
Oh, it will definitely happen in the near future. And it will mostly make different people famous: the programmers, instead of the drivers. Japan is the perfect country for something like that.

While driving can be fun, do you really like driving to and from your job each day? It simply takes time, and creates lots of opportunities for traffic accidents. We can make that drive into a relaxing event. Of all the kilometers travelled each day, those make up the main bulk.

And nobody is keeping you for going out for a nice drive, when you feel like it. Although you might need to go somewhere where you're allowed to drive manually by then.

Oh, it will definitely happen in the near future. And it will mostly make different people famous: the programmers, instead of the drivers. Japan is the perfect country for something like that.

Wont happen. People watch and enjoy motorsports because of the everlasting ''battle' between man and machine, not a computer driving a car around. Even in Japan people wont like racing cars driven around by a computer. People dont care about some geeky programmer making the car go around, they want people they can look up to, the racing driver, someone that does something only a very select group of people can do.

Imagin Ferrari winning a race, at the press conferance the ''geeks'' will come out, all looking like they didnt see any sun for atleat the last 4 months and they'll start some tech talk about what they did about the software and nobody will give a shit because they dont understand and just dont care. Its already like that now, alot of people arnt interrested in the team behind the driver. The driver is the face of the team and you cant replace that with a computer or some programmer wich is sitting safely in a room programming a car instead of the driver putting himself on the line.

While driving can be fun, do you really like driving to and from your job each day?

I dont think you can compare driving your family car on the public road with driving the fastest cars on a track.

We can make that drive into a relaxing event.

Wich might be great for everyday use on the public road but not something you want in a competition.

Well didnt the FIA had this idea to tune down the electronics a bit a while ago? I could live with the electronics we have now if they just dropped the launch controll.

Well didnt the FIA had this idea to tune down the electronics a bit a while ago? I could live with the electronics we have now if they just dropped the launch controll.

Well, since it's not a novelty anymore and everyone has it, I doubt it'll go away. But seriously, it doesn't make that much of a difference anyway.

They did a few times already. Especially everything that lets the computer drive the car all by itself. But that was about five years or so ago. The drivers would try to drive the perfect round during training, and it would be programmed like an advanced cruise control, that even did the steering. The driver only had to take action when other cars got in the way.

I'm not convinced that "launch control" is actually legal; traction control currently is legal because they basically realised that under the current regs its impossible to police and the big teams would just spend a truck load of cash hiding the fact that they were doing it by some means. Note, there is a distinction between launch control and traction control.

However, I believe next year they are moving to a control ECU - Mclaren Electronics and Microsoft have a contract to supply the entire grid with a single ECU that will enable the FIA to standardise the electronic control features across all the cars.

Back