Formula 1 - 2016 Season

"Speed" is only a "problem" if its excessive to the point of out of control - this is racing! The "drift" wasn't an speed/understeer issue (he wasn't even on full steering lock), but taking the racing line for the next part of the corner that considerably tightens, its pretty clear at the end of the video.

"Speed" is only a "problem" if its excessive to the point of out of control - this is racing! The "drift" wasn't an speed/understeer issue (he wasn't even on full steering lock), but taking the racing line for the next part of the corner that considerably tightens, its pretty clear at the end of the video.
And again, had Vettel not dodged and hit Kimi, it would have ended in even bigger crash. You can't just go steering lock at any speed, or you'll end up spinning out of control.
The only other solution that would have not ended up in bigger crash, would have been everyone else but Kvyat suddenly stop and wait for Kvyat to go first, and then continue racing.
I'm all for racing, but I also prefer racing to happen without reckless driving ruining other drivers races

He wasn't on steering lock and he wasn't at "any speed" it was controlled. There was another option and that was for Vettel to lift, but he chose not to despite losing the corner already.

Clearly the stewards felt Kvyat wasn't an issue as it passed without review, where Bottas did fall foul the race before.

At that point, I don't think Vettel can do anything but crash into someone. Personally, I would rather Vettel avoid Kimi and crash into Kvyat since crashing into your team mate is never a good thing. Vettel might be able to brake, but in that situation I'm not sure he would be safe from behind. I need to see the replay later...

It was a great race and Kvyat did nothing worse than Vettel has done on numerous occasions before. Vettel just had to put on a show and dance about it as a misdirection because he, Sebastian Vettel - while driving a Ferrari - crashed into his team mate while the big boss Sergio Marchionne was watching. Still, it shows Vettel has his brain engaged. Also Vettel was brilliant in overtaking 2 slow cars in the pit entry.

I feel bad for Danny Ric, he deserved a podium but after the puncture he drove a great race with some good overtaking to finish 4th.

For McLaren, at least both cars finished but they are still too slow.

McLaren pace on SS and S was good, but a bit slow on medium. Button was quick enough relative to others around him on the earlier stint. Probably when on medium they tried to preserve tyre too much (trying for less stop) which resulted in them being slow and probably the slower strategy for this race.

How does finishing 12 and 13th qualify as having good speed? Beating Manors, Saubers and Renaults isn't exactly impressive unless you consider Mclaren to be a team at the lower end of the midfield teams.

Yeah, we were expecting points. Still, compared to last year where they used a million power units, it's on an upward trend.

Vettel just had to put on a show and dance about it as a misdirection because he, Sebastian Vettel - while driving a Ferrari - crashed into his team mate while the big boss Sergio Marchionne was watching. Still, it shows Vettel has his brain engaged.

Bingo.

I wonder if he's changed his mind at all after watching replay's. Seemed to wash off Arrivabene as he refused to apportion blame to Kvyat.

Bingo.

I wonder if he's changed his mind at all after watching replay's. Seemed to wash off Arrivabene as he refused to apportion blame to Kvyat.

What I'm actually rather surprised about is that no one has cared to investigate Kimi for moving completely off the track and then joining it in a dangerous manner which then led to Nasr having to swerve to the right and hit / destroy Hamiltons front-wing...

There are rules that prevent "joining the track in a dangerous manner". Given that both Nasr and Hamilton had to come into the pits with damage, I'd say it was at least worthy of an investigation.

What I'm actually rather surprised about is that no one has cared to investigate Kimi for moving completely off the track and then joining it in a dangerous manner which then led to Nasr having to swerve to the right and hit / destroy Hamiltons front-wing...

There are rules that prevent "joining the track in a dangerous manner". Given that both Nasr and Hamilton had to come into the pits with damage, I'd say it was at least worthy of an investigation.
Usually in the first lap, or at least the first few corners, there is such a melee that some rules are effectively suspended. I guess it is because there usually is a chain of events which result in stuff like this and with so many cars close together at the start, it can be really difficult to see what lead to what.

Of course if it's blatant, they usually rule on it.

I have a different theory; no one bothered about it because it wasnt shown directly. Kvyat was shown. Vettel moving into Kimi was shown. Kimi going off track was shown. 15 cars and 4 seconds later, Hamilton / Nasr was shown from Hamiltons camera. What isnt really visible from that angle was Kimi ahead but to the left of Nasr moving back on track.

I think Kimi was lucky that the stewards probably missed this. You can see it in the overheads though, but by the time Nasr / Hamilton happened, the focus was on the 'effect', not the 'cause'.

Wouldnt have made Hamiltons or Nasrs race any better, but i am fairly certain a dangerous (and avoidable) move like that should have been penalized on the grounds of how dangerous it is.

The FOM, FIA and stewards have access to more camera angles than what is shown on TV.

As said above in the first lap/few corners the rules are not really applied because there are so many cars together that most incidents simply cannot be avoided.

I don't even think Kimi joined the track in a dangerous manner. There was space. The incident was caused by a multiple little things and Raikkonen wasn't anymore guilty than the others. Some white car seemed to try to evade debris or steered to the left for some other reason, which made Nasr steer heavily to the left as well and Raikkonen was there, and then Nasr seemed to have overreact to the right straight into Hamilton for no good reason imo.

Nasr didn't even have a significant speed difference to Raikkonen as he had already braked when he was behind Kimi. It looks more like Nasr didn't see Hamilton was there and was trying to get the best line for the next corner, instead of just trying to avoid Raikkonen, as there were meters between them, when the collision happened.

There should have been ultra softs available. Having SS, S and M was stupid. US, SS, S and then there could be maybe different strategies.

http://www.redbullracing.com/article/new-line-spain
ooh-burn-kelso-i12.gif

Kivyat is out from RBR, Max is replacing him. Not only they did that, they also humiliated Kivyat quite nicely with that last sentence.

Never change F1. Entertainment that never stops. :)

Back