Forcasts on Next Gen Sales

Acert93

Artist formerly known as Acert93
Legend
http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050621_135826.html

Seems to be some disagreement on how things will shake out... seems even the analysts like to argue about this stuff :LOL:

DFC Intelligence prepares a report that details certain scenarios of market opportunities for next-generation gaming consoles. Despite the fact that Microsoft is aiming for the top spot, the firm believes the PS3 will maintain its dominance due to its strong position in all global markets.

In the wake of increased interest in the pending release of a report by gaming research firm DFC, which a press release touted as projecting Sony's PlayStation 3 (PS3) market share at 50 percent, the firm's founder downplayed the importance of market share as a factor in determining dominance in the game console industry - but said that various research models currently showed little potential for the Xbox 360 to dethrone the PS3.

"Our best case scenario has the PS3 outselling the PS2," DFC founder and president David Cole told Tom's Hardware Guide today via e-mail, "but the [Microsoft Xbox] 360 and [Nintendo] Revolution are still able to carve out solid positions in the market." DFC's May 31 press release also predicted a future best-case market share for the Xbox 360 at up to 40 percent, with Nintendo's new Revolution console capturing up to 35 percent. However - perhaps to keep its clients in suspense - DFC has not stated a year for these market share figures. Responding to a request for comment for clarification of DFC's market share projections, Cole told us, "Market share is simply not that important a figure. It is all about installed base and being able to make money on a platform even if it is not number one."

Interest in DFC's May 31 press release was renewed this morning after the online publication GamesIndustry.biz characterized it as indicating a 20 percent drop in market share for Sony PlayStation. In fact, a report published in mid-May by Jupiter Research, prior to the last E3 convention, projects current Sony PlayStation 2 market share at 43 percent, with Xbox market share at 19 percent. The DFC report did not characterize its projections as either a drop or a rise for Sony or Microsoft.

While Cole's comment today, on its face, would appear to indicate good news for Microsoft - whose market base is reportedly growing, although Xbox remains the number 2 platform in market share- the press release actually made a positive case for Sony. The main challenge facing platform manufacturers, the release stated, "is not to give consumers a reason to shift to a new system. This is where Sony has been very successful. Sony has worked very hard at building a stable consumer base. The PlayStation platforms have consistently appealed to the largest fan base. Nintendo and Microsoft may have had some bigger hits, but Sony has been consistent and that makes for repeat consumers."

If "it" is truly all about installed base, as Cole argued today, this argument would give Sony a clear advantage. But a number of other variables introduced by the press release seem to cast the chances for a solid conclusion to the wind. "Video game consumers are, in mass, very fickle," the release stated, "and will shift platforms in a heartbeat if something better comes along. Consumers (especially those that buy lots of games) are learning that it is not a major investment to buy multiple systems."

Cole stated DFC produces its forecasts based on an analysis of more than 30 consumer behavior types. Based on that analysis, he told us, "There is a certain group of consumers that will buy the first new system to come out, the [Xbox] 360." But many of those same consumers - especially those who wait until just after Xbox launches - are more likely to purchase more than one console, he explained. As a result, Cole's market share projections actually overlap, with 25 percent of his projected consumer base owning more than one console.

While profitability is always a goal manufacturers aim for, there is a certain prestige factor that helps the company with the leading console. There has been rarely an occasion when Sony or Microsoft settled for second place in any market. "The better platform is definitely the best play," added Cole, "but right now we don't see any major difference between the platforms, except for release date. Therefore other factors like keeping the existing installed base happy for awhile are important considerations."

Microsoft is likely to disagree with Cole's position. Shortly after the unveiling of its Xbox 360, several Microsoft executives, including chairman Bill Gates, made it clear that Microsoft was vying for market leadership. A Jupiter Research report published in May gives Microsoft an advantage due to its earlier projected release date, giving Xbox 360 a 38 percent share of the installed console base by 2010, with PlayStation 3 capturing 32 percent, and Revolution 21 percent. Commenting on his company's report, Jupiter analyst Jay Horwitz advised us not to take these numbers too literally "because this is a dynamic market [that] is difficult to forecast."

So far, Sony has not discussed possibly launch dates of its PS3. However, several retailers indicate a May 2006 launch of the PS3, with Web sites such as PS3land.com currently guessing March of 2006. Nintendo's Revolution device will follow shortly thereafter in Summer 2006.

I don't know how they can even pretend to accurately predict something like Video Games.

They are so dependant on hit titles, if the next big thing(i.e a mega popular new IP) comes out on one platform and not the other that could be all it takes for that platform to take over.

ralexand said:
Yeah, I don't know why people go through the trouble. I guess its for investors.

People do the same here - only it's usually based less on objectivity and facts. ;)

meh , i don't think its hard to forecast that the ps3 will be the market leader . Seems like a logical prediction . I've side for awhile that i think it will remain the leader but will loose market share to ms and i see nintendo staying around the same as they were this generation

Johnny Awesome said:
I predict 50% - PS3, 35% - X360, 15% - Revolution. :)
I predict X360 - 100%, PS3 -- 0%, and Rev -- 0%.

Good through 2005 :D

.Sis

how can you pretend to predict five years for consoles that didn't even launch yet, and without event have a big knowledge of them (esp true for the revolution), and of courses sales that can be vastly influenced by impredictible things like success of some software.

laughable.

some of these so-said studies are especially designed to suit the desires of their employer more than anything else. just follow the money...

(remeber the analyst who claimed the xbox would soon be profitable ? it was in 2002).

Magnum PI said:
how can you pretend to predict five years for consoles that didn't even launch yet.

Predictions are just predictions. Not meant to be definitive proclomations on future events.

DFC's predictions prior to this gen didn't exactly turn out to be reliable, but that won't stop them from making predictions. They're just guesses with some sort of method behind them (though that doesn't make them any more reliable imo).

when you know you can't predict accurately enough, and that definitely the case for the states of next-gen consoles in 2010, pretending to be able to do just shows how much you respect the intelligence of people.

that's the same kind of companies that predicted windows NT would take 99,7 % of the server market share within five years, that you should buy enron some weeks before their bankrupcy..

say NT will take 99,7 % of the market shares and a lot of people will switch from concurrent systems to NT, because they read the numbers and don't want to use a server OS that will end having no market share, you see the kind of purpose such a study can server ? dont be so naive.

most of these heavily publicized studies are pure propaganda in a disguise of corporate respectability.

Technical forecasts have all the accuracy of weather forecasts - no-one knows what'll happen but somehow some people end up getting a job where their random guesses pay them money.

Must be one of the cushiest jobs in the world. You don't even get 'punished' when you're totally wrong so you can almost say whatever you want with impunity.

Shifty Geezer said:
Technical forecasts have all the accuracy of weather forecasts - no-one knows what'll happen but somehow some people end up getting a job where their random guesses pay them money.

Must be one of the cushiest jobs in the world. You don't even get 'punished' when you're totally wrong so you can almost say whatever you want with impunity.

There are some certain factors though:

Market strategy
Taget public
Production capacity
Pricepoint
Software range
Trackrecord

But I agree, most of those 'forecasts' are biased...

Well weather forcasts are basic on scientific principles, but they still suck! All those factors considered, you never know where the next whim will go. It might just be a chance association on a chance TV program that makes one console suddenly really popular and start steamrolling ahead. You can speculate probabilities (just as people do in horse races) but I wouldn't bet the farm on an analyst's speculations any more than I would bet on the odds-on favourite in the Grand National. ;)

Back