First REAL Brothers In Arms 3 screenshot! (OMG)

SSS is important with skin because it transmits much light and the gooey gel underneath the skin spreads the light around before some of it is let back out. Fabric is not that way, to my knowledge.

It's much more likely they'd use it for some marble statue.

Inane_Dork said:
SSS is important with skin because it transmits much light and the gooey gel underneath the skin spreads the light around before some of it is let back out. Fabric is not that way, to my knowledge.

It's much more likely they'd use it for some marble statue.
Well, SSS is supposed to affect anything non-metallic because anything non-metallic is translucent. But yeah, the fact that the SSS bends light around all those layers under the skin is going to make it a much bigger deal for the skin than for anything else.

nintenho said:
Well, SSS is supposed to affect anything non-metallic because anything non-metallic is translucent. But yeah, the fact that the SSS bends light around all those layers under the skin is going to make it a much bigger deal for the skin than for anything else.

I've always found the "non-metallic" thing kinda strange. There are lots of non-metallic things that are not translucent. But anyway, yes, SSS will help create more realistic surfaces. Hopefully we'll move from the stupid shiny-shine craze we have these days, where even brick walls somehow are all bump mapped and specular mapped (the bad kind of specular mapping, the one that's really shiny), even when they're not wet...

london-boy said:
I've always found the "non-metallic" thing kinda strange. There are lots of non-metallic things that are not translucent. But anyway, yes, SSS will help create more realistic surfaces. Hopefully we'll move from the stupid shiny-shine craze we have these days, where even brick walls somehow are all bump mapped and specular mapped (the bad kind of specular mapping, the one that's really shiny), even when they're not wet...
Isn't that just because modelors are pressured to use every possible shader even if it wouldn't fit the model? It's supposed to be a "NEXT GEN AM HERE" type of sign

Kind of off-topic, but why is a word that starts with f and rhymes with panboy censored over here?

nintenho said:
Kind of off-topic, but why is a word that starts with f and rhymes with panboy censored over here?

Part of the "keeping things clean around here" policy. It's not the only censored word. Not that it really helps, if someone wants to be abusive, he will find a way.

london-boy said:
Part of the "keeping things clean around here" policy. It's not the only censored word. Not that it really helps, if someone wants to be abusive, he will find a way.
That's one of those things I love and hate about this forum. If you want a coherent discussion, it's pretty much the most perfect forum for that. It gets a little too "sterile" sometimes though...

Bohdy said:
That doesn't look much better than CoD2 to me.
We wishes those who say "it does not look better than this and that" or "that looks better than this" would also say why is it so.
An opinion is empty if you can't give reasons why you think so.

Characters are normal mapped as is par-for-course, but still look polygonal and unrealistic up close. Face is "flat" with only limited skin shading (gloss on lips). Parallax-mapped environment is nothing new also.

About the most impressive thing about the image is the nice touches of the rubble on the ground, and the high resolution texture map on the helmet. Otherwise not a big jump over CoD2, as I said. Edit: Oh, and the shadowing is very natural too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bohdy said:
Characters are normal mapped as is par-for-course, but still look polygonal and unrealistic up close. Face is "flat" with only limited skin shading (gloss on lips). Parallax-mapped environment is nothing new also.

About the most impressive thing about the image is the nice touches of the rubble on the ground, and the high resolution texture map on the helmet. Otherwise not a big jump over CoD2, as I said. Edit: Oh, and the shadowing is very natural too.
1. There's SSS.
2. There's a much higher poly count, of course CoD2 was on PC and PC games usually don't let you scale the poly count.
3. The textures are much better than any part of CoD2
4. You mentioned parallax mapping, but this is the first game with a REALISTIC color palette (in color variety) that I've seen use it and it's very impressive.

Of course, maybe you weren't talking about the technical achievements at all, but the overall look instead....

it's a very high resolution render (for print) downscaled (for comp)
This provides way better filtering on everything in the picture (texture and edge antialiasing).
This alone provides a very deceiving perception,you know...

_phil_ said:
it's a very high resolution render (for print) downscaled (for comp)
This provides way better filtering on everything in the picture (texture and edge antialiasing).
This alone provides a very deceiving perception,you know...

But on a HDTV screen I thought that it would look basically the same. I mean keep in mind this pic looks just as good (scary comparable) to the MOH:Airborne screens and video.

mckmas8808 said:
But on a HDTV screen I thought that it would look basically the same. I mean keep in mind this pic looks just as good (scary comparable) to the MOH:Airborne screens and video.

it would look the same only on a 300dpi 720p screen from a certain distance.

Back