First PS3 Oblivion Shots

Hardknock

Veteran
mediamq3.jpg

http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=media3ad5.jpg

http://img133.imageshack.us/my.php?image=media2mo0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
looks great :cool:
definite success, plus if its close to launch as rumored, it might turn out to be a first class trojan horse to get the japanese people interested in western style rpgs.
if only they could tweak that proc. gen. face generator a bit to the asian side...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm slightly more curious about the PSP version, although maybe that's a discussion for Handheld 3D ;) 1up has some details on both versions:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3154065

Fans may also be excited to hear that the series is heading to PSP in Elder Scrolls Travels: Oblivion, a game that plays very similarly to its big brother but takes place in a completely different setting.

Wonder how they'll manage that..

So much for OPM's super-mega secret. At least it's not bad, or not as bad, as IGN's Table Tennis announcement.

Hope they take full advantage of PS3's HDD.

.Z

I'll reserve judgement for when they show some shots with far out LOD on the side of a mountain, or hell was of those ugly as hell snow mountains.

Oblivion is great looking until you look out across from a mountain and then you go "OMG WTF why the hell is everything so freaking blurry!!!!!" and then you realize its because the engine is nothing but a bunch of thrown together middlware and terrible art assets. If they up the texture resolution for the LOD to 4096x4096 like a lot of PC mods have done then it'll be a bit better, but still not great.

Aside from the grass textures I don't see anything particularly good looking there.
I agree, and from what I know of Bethesda and their middleware solution (gamebryo), I wouldn't expect this game to be pushing the PS3 very much, just like the 360 version is not a showcase of peak performance. (And, indeed, even the arguably much easier to optimize PC version is quite sluggish for what it does)
Though it could be observed that the ground textures do seem to have more detail in the distance and/or better AF in these shots than on the 360. But to truly judge that we'd need full-res shots. Still, the game looks (and plays IMHO) much better on a good PC with the right mods. So, quite disappointing indeed if this is the huge secret launch title. The only intriguing point is the new faction, and I would be surprised if Beth won't release that - as a paid addon of course - for the other platforms.

All this coming from a Elder Scrolls fan since Daggerfall.

It's rather strange how kickass I thought Oblivion looked when it launched, and how unimpressed I am with it right now amidst all the other games we're seeing come to light. o_O

Looks like.....oblivion!

GFX are not the star of this game though, it's all gameplay which is addicting as hell. Until you suddenly get completely bored of it, which usually happens after 60 or 70 hours.

Looks nice! I hope the game won’t suffer from the same stuttering and poor frame-rates as the Xbox 360 version occasionally did.
And the PC version. That just sums up Elder Scrolls games IMO! If it doesn't, and it's a smooth experience, it'll be something of note. I would hope more for better lighting, especially spells and torches casting shadows. TBH I expect it's the same engine perhaps with some fancier textures. I don't expect anything amazing at all.

Yep, it's a port, afterall and it probably hasn't been in development for a long time.
Actuallyit was probably in development for about as long as the XB360 version. If we take the PS3 version as having started when Oblivion was started, and then it was dropped, to be picked up again months later, the total time may be similar. It depends how much time was given over to the PS3 engine way back when (was it ever confirmed for PS3 back then?) and what state it was in when dropped. I don't think that the time for the PS3 port is only from XB360s release to now, or less.

If I recall correctly it was first stated to be coming to next-gen consoles and PC. Later it was changed to Xbox360 and PC, I might be wrong though.

I am sorry, but the image with Sir Carodus looks really, really gay. I can't help it, that's the first thing I thought when I saw that screenshot...

Back