First PS3 Oblivion Shots

GFX are not the star of this game though, it's all gameplay which is addicting as hell. Until you suddenly get completely bored of it, which usually happens after 60 or 70 hours.
I perfectly agree with that !

Even if i have played ElderScrolls since Daggerfall, the game-ability is terrrible. After about 50 hours, i get bored. You can't play with these games !

This is pretty cool, PS3 gamers will get to enjoy it too.

Great thing about next gen are more multiplatform games

Awesome! Now I can kill trolls in endless, identical caves on my PS3!

I never got what people loved so much about Oblivion. You do tons of dumb fetch quests like in any other RPG. Sure it's the prettiest western RPG, but it has technical issues on the 360. You can't kill anybody that's important to a quest. Guards materialize out of thin air whenever you commit a crime. The level-up system and conversation system are both broken IMO. Bethesda promised a revolutionary game, but all we got was a prettier version of the same old, same old.

Like in GTA, I had more fun seeing what I could get away with than actually playing the way I'm supposed to. Casting frenzy on people and punching horses to death is a lot more fun than fetching wine bottles and fish scales :)

I wish I had the PC version instead of the 360 one. . . some of those mods sound like they could actually make Oblivion fun to play.

Guards materialize out of thin air whenever you commit a crime. The level-up system and conversation system are both broken IMO.

Guards don't materialize unless they are watching you or someone else sees you and notifies them. That's why they havea sneak function.

And I think the level up system is excellent. What is truly broken about the game is lack of high-end static challenges. There needs to be more stuff that does not level dynamically, and presents you with unique challanges when you get to the higher levels.

The dynamic missions are cool, but they went much to far with it, they should be more balanced between static and dynamic difficulty missions.

Guards were definitely what prematurely (almost) ruined the game for me.

I would say "materialize" is a pretty accurate description of what they do. There were more than a few times where I'd be alone (yes, actually alone) in a room/house and pick something up (what the game considers stealing) and a guard would run through the friggin' door like a bat out of hell -- what the hell. The guards know far too much at any given time -- a bit overly sensitive in my experience. To be fair though, that was my only thing in the game that truly ticked me off (the leveling system is a bit wonky, but was fun to toy with).

Personally I actually find morrowind to be a superior game. The NPCs have better dialog, there are more guilds/factions, the game world is much larger and is significantly more diverse. There are more skills, weapons, and armor to choose from, the interface is significantly better on the PC, creatures only partially scale with your level and different areas have more or less difficult creatures. There is much more mystery and political intrigue surrounding the plot, etc etc.

There are only two areas where I think oblivion really beats morrowind. It looks nicer, and the combat system is better. Even the graphics were a let down though, as the distance textures are absolutely terrible if you don't download one of the "fixed" texture packs. The water gets ugly in the distance and can't be seemingly fixed, increasing the number of cells that load at once causes all kinds of strange glitches... Over all I'm pretty disappointed with it.

Nite_Hawk

I would say "materialize" is a pretty accurate description of what they do. There were more than a few times where I'd be alone (yes, actually alone) in a room/house and pick something up (what the game considers stealing) and a guard would run through the friggin' door like a bat out of hell.

What most likely happened was someone saw you break into the house, ran and got a guard.

If no one sees you enter you can trash the whole house, a gaurd will never come. There are times when gaurds just are a little too omnipotent though I agree.

Guards were definitely what prematurely (almost) ruined the game for me.
I would say "materialize" is a pretty accurate description of what they do. There were more than a few times where I'd be alone (yes, actually alone) in a room/house and pick something up (what the game considers stealing) and a guard would run through the friggin' door like a bat out of hell -- what the hell. The guards know far too much at any given time -- a bit overly sensitive in my experience. To be fair though, that was my only thing in the game that truly ticked me off (the leveling system is a bit wonky, but was fun to toy with).
Oh yeah, I've been invisible and walking around and while the gaurd didn't attack me it followed right behind me everywhere I went. beat that!

I really wish there was a way you could overthrow the government. Just to have fun.

Guards don't materialize unless they are watching you or someone else sees you and notifies them. That's why they havea sneak function.

But they DO materialize. I used the paintbrush trick to build stairs and get on to the roof of a building. From there, I was sniping people with my bow and arrows (which was hilarious). For a little while the guards were running around on the ground and shooting up at me. Then, a guard appeared behind me, even though there is no way to get up on top of this building without cheating!

As far as the level-up system goes. . . IMO it's a cool idea, but it's broken and counter-intuitive nonetheless. During character creation, any reasonable person would assume "ok, I'm supposed to pick the 7 skills I want to use most as my primary ones". However, doing so SEVERELY cripples you by the time you reach level 15-20 or so. You have to carefully monitor which skills you level up when, otherwise you wind up with pathetic stat boosts at level up. The optimal way is to pick 7 primary skills you don't want to use at all, and then level those ones up when you're ready to advance your character level.

Oblivion was supposed to be a game where you play however you want, and your character grows accordingly. However, it winds up punishing you for doing so, and rewarding you for tediously monitoring your skills, abusing the system, and playing counter-intuitively. I consider that to be broken. (BTW I know there's a mod that makes it so you just get +5 to whatever stats you decide to increase at level up. . . too bad i have the 360 version).

no grass and a complete deforestation is visible here, along with strange looking waters, and something about ambient light (no hdr?).
but I am sure all these will be correct. there has been enough time for this, and it wont come out wrong.
its oblivion! :cool:

Personally I actually find morrowind to be a superior game. The NPCs have better dialog, there are more guilds/factions, the game world is much larger and is significantly more diverse. There are more skills, weapons, and armor to choose from, the interface is significantly better on the PC, creatures only partially scale with your level and different areas have more or less difficult creatures. There is much more mystery and political intrigue surrounding the plot, etc etc.

There are only two areas where I think oblivion really beats morrowind. It looks nicer, and the combat system is better. Even the graphics were a let down though, as the distance textures are absolutely terrible if you don't download one of the "fixed" texture packs. The water gets ugly in the distance and can't be seemingly fixed, increasing the number of cells that load at once causes all kinds of strange glitches... Over all I'm pretty disappointed with it.

Nite_Hawk

I completely agree with this. Morrowind was a much better game overall .

Even the combat didn't improve to the point were it was actually more fun than MW. And the stuff they were hyping about the radiant AI just really didn't make the game any better in practice. Or at least they didn't really exploit it in the game.

I was disapointed overall. It seems they spent too much time on things that didn't actually improve the original experience by much.

Not saying it is a bad game. Just not the gem MW is/was.

Back