Firefox Spell Checker Issue

Skrying

S K R Y I N G
Veteran
Anyone else running into an issue where the built in Firefox spell checker just simply stops working? After about a day of use on a new install of Firefox the spell checker completely stops working for me. I've tripled checked to make sure I have it enabled and sure enough I do. This is rather frustrating because I find it very useful.

Could it be another plug-in doing something funky? Have been working flawlessly for me since I installed 2.0. (On several machines)

Anyone else running into an issue where the built in Firefox spell checker just simply stops working? After about a day of use on a new install of Firefox the spell checker completely stops working for me. I've tripled checked to make sure I have it enabled and sure enough I do. This is rather frustrating because I find it very useful.

I have found that on some websites (like B3D for instance) they are doing something in their HTML that seems to disable it by default. On most other sites, the spellchecker is just on by default, but on B3D I have to click inside the text entry area, right-click and choose "spell check this field" in order to turn it on again.

I have found that on some websites (like B3D for instance) they are doing something in their HTML that seems to disable it by default. On most other sites, the spellchecker is just on by default, but on B3D I have to click inside the text entry area, right-click and choose "spell check this field" in order to turn it on again.

I don't have to do that. Maybe it's because I use a newer version. Do you have the "get bookmark add-ons" link in the bookmarks-menu?

I have:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20061010 Firefox/2.0
(Firefox is spelled incorrectly :p)

I downloaded from the official link on day one IIRC. Then I downloaded again a couple of days later and suddenly that bookmark-link was there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you are using the WYSIWYG posting interface (on forums). It doesn't work if you use that.

You can change the setting from your user cp, it's in the "edit options" right at the bottom.

Not sure what was causing it, and really do not care. Its working now under Ubuntu, and its working perfectly and longer than it ever did previously. Oddly this problem only came about on my PC and none of the others in my house.

Back