Finally: Sony and Immersion end litigation, enter into business agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.
They didn't, they went after everyone that used rumble. Sony were the only ones that fought their case.

Some of the immersion patents were very vague, but that's patent law for you I suppose.

why did Immersion only go after Sony?

They went after MS too. MS just settled much earlier. Since Sony sold so many more DS and DS2 controllers and MS did Xbox controllers, the damage to them would have been huge if the royalties were on a per controller basis.

Here are the details of Microsoft settlement with Immersion.

"Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft will pay Immersion of San Jose, Calif., US$20 million for a perpetual patent license and invest $6 million in the company, said Immersion President and Chief Executive Officer Victor Viegas in an interview. The investment gives Microsoft a stake of just under 10 percent in Immersion, he said."

http://www.macworld.com/news/2003/07/29/msimmersion/

I think Microsoft got a very good deal.

Before talking about rumble in PS3 I think it matters more for PS2 which are still selling well. Also it's huge in the PS1/2 backward compatibility in PS3.

I don't think we're neccessarily going to get a Dual Shock 3.

Maybe this just opens the doors for applications like steering wheels? GT5 without FF support would be tragic.

GT:HD already supported FF. This has nothing to do with FF. Its only related to the official controller's rumble

TouchSense Technology

Immersion's new tech is called TouchSense. It actually seemsit may be quite a step up.

TouchSense Technology

For example, in a next-gen off-road racing game, you would not only be able to see every detail of the terrain — gravel, rocks, sand, mud — you would also be able to feel how the vehicle’s response to these features transfers to the steering wheel — an experience more like driving in the real world. You might feel both the sharp pop of shifting gears, and at the same time, the force of acceleration or deceleration. If you were also firing a machine gun, you might feel both the vehicle movement and the weapon’s repeating action. Or you might experience the vehicle movement and feel that you are being fired upon (taking damage).
Apparently if programmed properly you can feel more than one sense at the same time and there appears to be a greater range of sensation than current rumble tech. I read somewhere that textures could be simulated such as running the controller over sandpaper. NOW I'm really looking forward to EA's WoodShop 2007.

-aldo

I met up with Sian Tan about a month ago...

Besides Immersion's technologies, he also did the "feel the texture of this thing from across the Internet" during the dotcom days. So it's possible that he has found a way to lump all of these together today. :)

Rumble doesn't do a thing for me. May be something more far out will. I don't know yet.

Yeah the world is crazy. These days, people sue first to open a business opportunity. Look at Creative and Apple, Cisco and Apple, and now Immersion and Sony. ;-) [j/k]

Last edited by a moderator:
could anyone tell me why SCEI didn't do this in first place??? it would make everyone's life a lot easier from my point of view if they sort it out before launch of the console.

could anyone tell me why SCEI didn't do this in first place??? it would make everyone's life a lot easier from my point of view if they sort it out before launch of the console.

Obviously Immersion wanted Sony to pay more in royalty fees for the rumble in the PS3 controller than what Sony thought it was worth, but after Immersions stock plummeted after E3-06 Sony was in a better position to negotiate the fees.

It's called capitalism. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Rumble is good... hopefully Motorstorm will be patched to add it because that game just screams for rumble to get feedback from coming down from being airborne and such.

Looks like Hideo Kojima will finally have his dream come true for MGS4.

Now all i need is Sony to make the Batarang the official Dual Sixaxis and everything will be ok :D

does this mean ps3 sales will go down until rumble version comes out...

oh yeah, most casual gamers don't know much about ps3 do they :LOL:

does this mean ps3 sales will go down until rumble version comes out...

oh yeah, most casual gamers don't know much about ps3 do they :LOL:
It's just the controller that'd need replacing, not the whole console because of added rumble.
I don't think potential buyers would delay purchasing the PS3 just because of a rumour that a new more featured controller is on the road, that they can buy cheaply anyway later.
Do you think it has affected Wii sales that there was a rumour of a rechargeable wiimote some time ago, I don't think so.
Rumour of a rumble featured SIXAXIS won't affect the PS3 sales negatievly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back