FF 1.5 out

Deepak said:
Flashget is adware? Didn't know that, never noticed...which download manager then you suggest.
It now comes with adware attached, unless you register and pay, adware will be installed when you install Flashget, a total PITA.

Luckily I had a 2 year old installer somewhere, so just used that instead.

Cheers
Gubbi

stevem said:
Yeah, it's not svelte, but try the following switch: config.trim_on_minimize = true. Even when not minimized, mem usage on mine has dropped ~50% @ no cost to paged mem... Also ensure a clean install & confrim extension compatibility with FF1.5. Even the updated version of Adblock has a mem leak esp with Flash 8. Try Adblock Plus as recommended above. The bfcache function caches previous pages in ram based on the amount of mem you have. Try changing browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers = -1 (auto) to 0-5 pages depending on browsing habits.

Try the Flashgot extension.
I use adblock plus:D
I remember the old version did lower phyisical memory on min, but I'm really referring to browsing image heavy pages, where opera kicks every other brower's ass:D
Well.. I set the switch and it has no effect:(.
I know about bfcache.. I like that one since it makes it snappy.. half a sec according to fasterfox:D
It should also be noted that I finally lost all my bookmarks with FF 1.5 like people with previous version have complained about.
This confirms http://internetweek.cmp.com/handson...SNDBGCKHSCJUMEKJVN?articleId=174907404&pgno=2 story

Last edited by a moderator:
FireFox is incredible, I was missing so much. Best thing about it is that so many extensions/themes etc are available, and it is infinitely customisable. I just love it. IE is such a joke compared to it.

Deepak said:
Best thing about it is that so many extensions/themes etc are available, and it is infinitely customisable.
Indeed, I wish more apps would take this route. I love how (for example) Firefox and Winamp are so slim and simple, but you can also make them do just about anything if you put your mind to it.

I wouldnt call Winamp really slim, but they both excel in their plugin/extentions, which is so awesome about them, and makes them wonderful.

Ah, a gripe! FF 1.5 still won't consistently remember my proxy login at work. Every so often it'll ask me to enter it for every single item on a page. :cry:

FF is consuming so much memory/processor compared to IE that sometimes I am forced to use IE. Me adding all kinds of plugins for FF could be one of the reasons though. :smile:

Back