Fable: HD remake for 360

Scott_Arm

Legend
http://kotaku.com/fable-anniversary-a-remake-of-the-original-fable-is-c-511187355

Looks like 360 is getting an HD remake of the original Fable later this year. I wonder if we'll see some of that Mega Mesh tech put to use.

I really liked that game. Not sure if I'd play it again. Maybe if they added a ton of new stuff to it. Still, good game, and I'd recommend it to anyone that never played it the first time (provided the remake is not incredibly buggy or something).

I quite enjoyed the first two games though I'm more curious to see how this'll turn out. I'm not sure I have the will to play through all over again (and twice). I don't recall having issues with the bugs (I suppose I was lucky in how I played the game), but I wonder about the migration to UE3... At most I'll wait for a PC version, but even then I'm certainly not inclined to upgrade to Win8 for the foreseeable future if they decide to lock it to that OS.

I quite enjoyed the first two games though I'm more curious to see how this'll turn out. I'm not sure I have the will to play through all over again (and twice). I don't recall having issues with the bugs (I suppose I was lucky in how I played the game), but I wonder about the migration to UE3... At most I'll wait for a PC version, but even then I'm certainly not inclined to upgrade to Win8 for the foreseeable future if they decide to lock it to that OS.

I listened to that Xbox guy's podcast and they said they were using Unreal Engine 3 for the lighting, and I was wondering what the hell they meant. It's kind of all or nothing, isn't it? They don't license a lighting middleware, do they? Does that mean their internat Mega Mesh thing is dead?

I would have rather seen it as a launch game for the Xbox one. Would have been a better fit imo.
It is an old title and those who had the original Xbox played it a lot already. I didn't play it in the original Xbox days though.

I purchased the game on the Xbox Classics section of the marketplace for the Xbox 360 and played it via BC.

Like the original Forza, it was one of those games that people remembered that it had great graphics. The BC worked almost flawlessly in the game, but going from 480i to 720p caused both games to look passable at best.

Well, basically they were a pixelated mess in comparison to how I recalled it was. All my good memories of those games were forever lost once I played them *properly* on the X360 and a HDTV compared to my old CRT TV. :cry:

To all of those who played the original games on the original Xbox, as a reminder:::.... DON'T ever play Fable or Forza on the Xbox 360 or all your good memories of those games will be gone forever!!!!

On the other hand, the original Ninja Gaiden looked incredible on the Xbox 360. Talking of which I should download those games again now that I freed up some space in my HD.

I listened to that Xbox guy's podcast and they said they were using Unreal Engine 3 for the lighting, and I was wondering what the hell they meant. It's kind of all or nothing, isn't it? They don't license a lighting middleware, do they? Does that mean their internat Mega Mesh thing is dead?

mm Yeah, I got the impression they were basically remaking the entire game in UE3, so I'm not sure how porting over the scripting/game sub-systems etc will go (will it be buggier? :p).

Don't know if it'd be worth their time to bolt on mega mesh (when considering their other plans for next gen). *shrug*

Needs more bloom and soft lighting and FXAA.

Would be nice if they had more comparison shots.

Shame my Xbox is dead (and gone now). I put a lot of hours into the game back then, and I had some rather amusing stats. At one point I slaughtered the all the peasants to buy up all the property and then the game engine respawned everyone. >_>

Can't remember how far I kicked a chicken, but it was pretty far off a cliff or something and it counted. Might be remembering it wrong.

----
Rob. :devilish: :devilish:

Fable 2 is my fav game this gen! And I never played the first.

Lots to do if you like screwing around. Fable 2 did improve a number of gameplay mechanics though, which I hope they rolled back into F1 (i.e. combat).

It was nice to have a couple references from F1 in F2 too.

Quite annoyed that this isn't for PC/4K/8K/60/120.

Fixed. :p

The UI improvements sound really awesome too. Seems kind of a waste to launch it now, but I guess we'll see if it does any good in sales. I'd really like to see a remake of Fable 2 as well... :(

Microsoft patented some kind of forward compatibility, so maybe some title will be easily ported to the one?

Sounds kind of wishful thinking. I imagine it'd just be a usual porting job (plus it's UE3) if they ever considered it.

Back