Fable 2

Malibu

Regular
Embargo is apparently up.

New stuff:

• Mini map is dead. Peter hates it. So he made a "bread crump trail". Which is a golden line on the ground that will tell you which direction to go. It works kinda like a GPS system, so it will change if you go another direction, and will guide you in the right direction.
  • Magic system: You can either do a focused on one person attack, or a ranged attack. You can build up your attack in five levels. These five levels can be combined, so you can have level 1 be a fire spell, and then it builds up and adds level 2, which can be a slow spell, and so on.
  • There will be 8 different spells in the game.
  • You can buy every single house in the game. Each house will unlock something new. Either a sidequest, item or a skill
  • The game is 20-30 times larger then Fable 1.
  • The weather is completely dynamic, and will change as time progress. There will be different seasons.
  • Cutscenes are somewhat interactive. You can use the d-pad to do different gestures, and they can change the outcome of conversations. It's not on the scale of Mass Effect, but it can be done so you have some interactivity with the game world.
  • Peter wanted a sex minigame in there, but they had to drop it, due to the nature of the content. Now the screen just goes black, and your hear some moaning. And yes, you can have unprotected sex.
  • The female character also came close to being cut. But the female designers on the game wanted her in, so they made it happen.
  • There is three more Fable games planned. Lionhead is currently working on Fable 2 and a new project. The Black & White studio is no more.
  • I also had a talk with him, about videogames and that stuff. And he thinks that GTA4 is the absolute benchmark of how you can do story in videogames. And with Fable 2 he wants to make people attached to their character, and especially the dog.
  • He talked about how he was flirting with a girl, and her husband came by. And the husband became so pissed, he began kicking your dog. And Peter actually felt bad for flirting with the girl. He wants gamers to feel like he did.

Screens:

http://www.xboxlife.dk/images/screenshots/490/000023_org.jpg
http://www.xboxlife.dk/images/screenshots/490/000024_org.jpg
http://www.xboxlife.dk/images/screenshots/490/000025_org.jpg
http://www.xboxlife.dk/images/screenshots/490/000026_org.jpg
http://www.xboxlife.dk/images/screenshots/490/000028_org.jpg
http://www.xboxlife.dk/images/screenshots/490/000029_org.jpg
http://www.xboxlife.dk/images/screenshots/490/000030_org.jpg

The first game was flawed, but I enjoyed it. I'm really looking forward to this one. Co-op really makes it a big seller for me.

I hope they've added some kind of streaming system to their graphics engine. One of the most frustrating things about the first game (which I think I played on PC) was the fact that the world got split into so many cells. Quite enjoyed it though, so looking forward to seeing what this is like. The fact that it's x20-30 larger than F1 is encouraging.

[*]The game is 20-30 times larger then Fable 1.

These kind of quotes annoy me a bit..

20-30times larger in terms of what..? the world (in kms)..? the avg. playtime..? the amount of art/code..?

Specifics mean a whole lot more than such a vague & ambiguous bullet point..

These kind of quotes annoy me a bit..

20-30times larger in terms of what..? the world (in kms)..? the avg. playtime..? the amount of art/code..?

Specifics mean a whole lot more than such a vague & ambiguous bullet point..

The people are 120-180 ft tall, and everything else has been adjusted to scale.

There is three more Fable games planned.

I hope their development time overlaps to some degree, otherwise that is going to end up being another 12 years. :p

I presume this include things like a mentioned Live! Arcade game where you can earn money. I can't imagine anyone committing to three full Fable games this early when there isn't a full story! Instead you'd just keep making them as long as you felt good about it and people bought them.

There is a video up now that summarizes each game that is being shown today at Microsoft's Gamer's Day event. They have a very breif shot of what looks like in-game footage of a camera zoomed out and panning over a large section of the game. If this is any indication of the size of the game world, then I would agree it looks far larger than the original Fable.

The video is located here, and the footage starts at 1:13 and lasts for about two seconds. Like I said, if thats in-game than the game world is going to be very big.

Last edited by a moderator:
I presume this include things like a mentioned Live! Arcade game where you can earn money. I can't imagine anyone committing to three full Fable games this early when there isn't a full story! Instead you'd just keep making them as long as you felt good about it and people bought them.

Oh yea.... forgot about those. :p Consider me underwhelmed if that's what they are. :(

I was kind of hoping they'd continue jumping through time for each sequel. They could have eventually gotten to a Shadowrun-esque setting in no time. ;)

wow ...great.. this game looks beautiful ... 2008 is turning into quite a software year for 360. solid, solid hit here

This looks great indeed. I think this is my nr.1 game for me to get this year. I love the art, it looks beautiful in a tech manner as well and my biggest complain about the 1st Fable which was not enough free roaming seems to have been addressed as well. Can't wait. Also I have to say that this year is turning out to be better and better for the 360. Too Human, Gears, Banjo, Fable 2, all seem to have the potential for greatness...

I thought it did. There's definitely drop in/drop out coop, and the camera cleverly ties the two players together allowing both freedom of movement and both players on screen at once. The no technical reason not to allow two-player on one box, other than a need for another character to be played. It's be a dire shortcoming if the game doesn't support two-player offline!

I thought it did. There's definitely drop in/drop out coop, and the camera cleverly ties the two players together allowing both freedom of movement and both players on screen at once. The no technical reason not to allow two-player on one box, other than a need for another character to be played. It's be a dire shortcoming if the game doesn't support two-player offline!

It never had local coop just online.

Are you sure? Peter M. states that not many games are playable with local co-op and they want this feature in the game. I remember they demoed this feature on stage in the previous Fable 2 showing.

Google : "Why haven't we been able to [play] co-op in a role-playing game?" asks designer Peter Molyneux of Lionhead at the outset of our Fable 2 meeting at this year's Game Developers Conference. "I'm talking about games like Mass Effect or Fable 1," he clarifies, indicating that he's specifically not including massively multiplayer RPGs (which are often inherently cooperative) or even regular old multiplayer ones (which usually offer some sort of co-op mode). "Why haven't we been able to truly, truly [play] co-op?" he asks. And without wasting time to ponder the subtleties of the genre, Molyneux picks up the controller and launches into the demo of his upcoming game's latest new feature: two player offline co-op. (Online play has yet to be confirmed.)

Back