F.E.A.R First Impression PS3/360

Ben-Nice

Regular
A rather bizarre first impression since they don't even tell you how the game played or looked..

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=68611

New mode and an extra level not in PC version

However, there are a few notable additions - as we found out when we got to test the PS3 version on a recent trip to Vivendi's LA office. For starters, there's the new instant action mode, which sees you hammering through levels dispatching of wave after wave of enemies. When it's all over, you can view an extensive list of stats such as your hit-rate, which weapon you used most, how many grenades you lobbed, the number of medipacks you got through and more. You also get bonus points for any time remaining on the clock, and your final score will appear on online leaderboards so you can see how you match up against other players around the world.

The console versions also feature an extra level that didn't appear in the original game. It's unlocked after you complete the Watchers level, during which - as PC players may recall - you come across a room containing the remains of a Delta Force team and awful lot of blood.

In the bonus mission, you take on the role of one of the team members and play through the events that led up to their unfortunate demise - finding out who was responsible for their deaths along the way. Because you're not playing as the main character you can't use slo-mo, which makes for a bit more of a challenge.

gameplay differences between X360 and PS3

Then there are the extra weapons - one for each version of the game. Xbox 360 owners will get to play with SN15 dual machine pistols, while the PS3 game features the SAS 12 - a street sweeper shotgun with a very rapid rate of fire that's highly satisfying to use. "We wanted everybody to feel like they got something special," explains Loftus. "But at the same time, we didn't want to put more content in one version and have the other version suffer for it."

"We wanted everybody to feel like they got something special," explains Loftus. "But at the same time, we didn't want to put more content in one version and have the other version suffer for it."

That's a nice sentiment.

That's a nice sentiment.

Not for us multi-platform gamers. :p We want one ultimate version that has the best of everything, received the most focus, polish and content, and don't care which platform it shows up on. That way, there's no debate on which version to buy. :LOL: For those without said platform for that particular game, well... tough luck. :devilish:

Not for us multi-platform gamers. :p We want one ultimate version that has the best of everything, received the most focus, polish and content, and don't care which platform it shows up on. That way, there's no debate on which version to buy. :LOL: For those without said platform for that particular game, well... tough luck. :devilish:

Fingers crossed I'll be a multi-platform gamer too!

I figure the sentiment was nice in that the differences (in this instance) won't be too valuable. Although I'm sure on some forum somewhere people will still debate it long into the night! :p

Even though you're joking, those qualities you list? F*****'s/hardcore gamers/enthusiasts will probably only find with their 1st party exclusives. I think Sony & MS should merge... :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Fingers crossed I'll be a multi-platform gamer too!

I figure the sentiment was nice in that the differences (in this instance) won't be too valuable. Although I'm sure on some forum somewhere people will still debate it long into the night! :p

Even though you're joking, those qualities you list? F*****'s/hardcore gamers/enthusiasts will probably only find with their 1st party exclusives. I think Sony & MS should merge... :p

You know, SCE's hardware heritage and strong 3rd party relationships (and 1st party developers), with MS' entire tool set and development chain, U.I. R&D and online experience would make for a hell of a console. :D Hey, anythings possible. Allard has stated he would gladly help SCE bring Live! to the PS3. :LOL: (Part of me was really hoping that would somehow happen, except with a SCE front-end (the Blades don't quite do it for me)).

OPM: Seems that way, but sometimes it doesn't seem like Sony knows how to approach it, because, as you say, it's not an online company.

JA: I'll give them a road map. [Laughs] One piece of feedback we've gotten from large and small publishers alike is, "Boy, we'd love to have Xbox Live on PlayStation." My response has always been, "[SCE President Ken Kutaragi] has my number and I'd be happy to talk [with him] about it." It's damaging for the industry to have three different companies pursue three different theories of online [gaming].

Xbox 360 can't handle the shaders for the shotgun pellets. PS3 doesn't have the RAM for the dual wielding. You heard it here first folks. :rolleyes:

[/sarcasm]

That's such a ridiculous differentiator.

Xbox 360 can't handle the shaders for the shotgun pellets. PS3 doesn't have the RAM for the dual wielding. You heard it here first folks. :rolleyes:

[/sarcasm]

That's such a ridiculous differentiator.

It's the dumbest thing I've seen yet with next-gen multiplatform games. Why not just put both guns on both versions?

It's the dumbest thing I've seen yet with next-gen multiplatform games. Why not just put both guns on both versions?

Even beating the previous dumbest thing you've ever seen, Soul Calibur 2 having one per-platform character, instead of putting all three of them in all three versions?

It's not like guns are anywhere in the same league as a mascot. Oh look! The 360 has dual wielding! PS3 has a shotty! I like shotguns so I'll get the PS3 version! PS3 just reeks of taking the shotgun approach!

Exactly what makes a shotgun so special to PS3? What makes dual wielding so special to a 360? They're just guns!

Completely different.

I imagine it's all a half-wit attempt to get people to buy the game for all platforms. IMO, FEAR wasn't much of a game anyway. The end is the best part, the rest is tedium to an extreme really.

If they put the same content in PS3 and xbox360 versions, neither could boast with "exclusive content" in any of their PR ;)

I think it may be because, fundamentally, it doesn't amount to much at all. But for those of a certain mindset... it may make them happier cos they've got exclusive content.

If nothing else, it'd certainly differentiate F.E.A.R. from other titles that are exactly the same on both (or maybe all 3) platforms. Although who knows whether this similarity turns out to be the case; (see CoD3!!).

Back